Expressing extra interest in residency programs you haven't heard from yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthapplicant2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current 4th year applying this year for Anesthesia. As October begins to wind down I and others have heard about expressing extra interest to programs that have yet to contact you about your application. I was wondering if posting the questions many of us seem to have on this unified thread will help shed some light on the correct way to go about this. The questions I and others have are:

1) When is the right time to contact these programs? (is now appropriate to begin these inquiries)
2) Is the program coordinator the correct person to contact?
3) What is the right format to contact them (email, phone, etc)?
4) What should the content of the message consist of?
5) Is there a limit on the number of programs you should show this "extra" interest in?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Email > Phone in my opinion, though I'm sure others would feel differently.
4) Let them know why you like their program, state your interest, "hope you keep me app in mind if anything opens up", "look forward to hearing from you"
5) Not really. Focus on any that have waitlisted you first. Geography is your friend (ie. whatever address is on your ERAS, programs in that general region are more likely to show interest in you). Do not waste time on programs that have outright rejected you.