Extended study schedule...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the April 2007 MCAT and was wondering if anyone else started studying way in advance, and if so, how? I don't take Orgo I/II or physics I/II until Fall/Spring 2006/2007 so I could be concentrating on Bio/Gen Chem. I'm mostly worried that if I don't review, then I will lose it.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks, and sorry if another post is out there, I didn't have time to search.

Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the same too - the earlier the better, right?

Well, I started preparing since September for the April 2006 test. I don't really think studying far in advance is more beneficial. You can review all the material in a month easily. I spread my subject review out over 4 months, and really I think that 4 months of review is a lot of time. I don't see myself reviewing the subject matter anymore. That leaves me 3 months to do practice problems, which is still alot of time, leaving the possibility of forgetting some of the material. However, I'm the type of guy who prefers to cram for tests.

I would suggest just doing well in your courses and not paying much attention to MCAT studying in particular.

Megboo said:
Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll just do some "nighttime" reading over the bio and chem MCAT points, but not worry about testing/retaining.

You make an excellent point!

Megboo,
You can start practicing the Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample part, or practice answering old MCAT exams (available on the AMCAS website) on the bio sections. It pays to get used to VR and the writing sample. I still have Phys II, Chem II (Spring) and both Ochems (Summer)to go, and am still debating whether to take the August 2006 or April 2007 MCAT, but I'm already mapping out a consistent study schedule. Hope that helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DSIII said:
Megboo,
You can start practicing the Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample part, or practice answering old MCAT exams (available on the AMCAS website) on the bio sections. It pays to get used to VR and the writing sample. I still have Phys II, Chem II (Spring) and both Ochems (Summer)to go, and am still debating whether to take the August 2006 or April 2007 MCAT, but I'm already mapping out a consistent study schedule. Hope that helps! :)

I wouldn't do any practice materials as those will be amended to show the new changes.

As for review, you should focus on genetics/physio/molecular biology and the gen chem basics as those probably won't be eliminated from the test but other fringe subjects might.

A more clear plan of action can be devised when the info for the new CBT is revealed.

Good Luck.