Extortion from the ABMS and the MOC shakedown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://finance.townhall.com/columni...icine-it-starts-at-the-top-n1605282/page/full

MAY 27, 2013
Deception in Medicine- It Starts at the Top

5/24/2013 12:01:00 AM

When physicians graduate from medical school, they are eligible to apply for a medical license from their state medical board. Doctors are unable to work if they are unlicensed.

In addition to licensure, and after residency specialty training, physicians are expected to pass an exam given by their specialty board. The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is comprised of the 24 recognized specialty boards. The inclusion of a medical specialty in this fraternity gives legitimacy to that field, and a certificate issued from one of these boards to a physician connotes that they have performed with the highest level of excellence and competence.

The social contract that physicians have with patients is a combination of behavior which is ethical and proper, and the rendering of care that is based on current, appropriate and acceptable medical practice.

There already are a multitude of mechanisms in place to ensure that “self-policing” occurs in medicine. This is the role of the state medical boards. They handle matters involving the ethics of practice, and also oversee a system of continuing medical education to ensure that doctors keep current with new medical developments. Never before was it the purview of specialty boards to look back on its diplomats once a certificate was issued. That is, not until the ABMS decided that there was money to be made in doing so.

The ABMS, which owns the copyright on “board certification”, issued the decree that its member specialty boards needed to require diplomats to “renew” their board certifications, often against the objections of the affiliate specialties.

A system was created called Maintenance of Certification (MOC) which consists of a series of tasks that a physician must complete to “prove” that they have kept current in their respective specialty.

There is often an exam associated with this process, which in no way can possibly measure with accuracy, the competence of a physician. This process did accomplish its intended and covert mission though, which was to raise money- lots of it. The MOC process can cost a physician +several thousand dollars and needs to be repeated at intervals ranging from 2-5 years. This additional layer of bureaucracy gives the perception of more stringent oversight but the real and intended goal is the creation of an income stream that enriches the physician leaders on the respective specialty boards.

In 2011, an inspection of the collective tax returns for the 24 medical boards of the ABMS showed that fees from MOC grossed a collective $600 million dollars, generating salaries or stipends to officers of the medical boards in the 6-7 figure range.

The very individuals who have been entrusted and charged with maintaining the integrity of their respective specialties have shamelessly taken advantage of their positions. Without any oversight as to their activities, they have created what can only be characterized as an elaborate “shakedown” scheme. This could not have been possible without the help of their accomplices- the hospitals and insurance companies. What started out as a voluntary program for many physicians has turned out to be a requirement much of the time, especially if a physician wishes to retain hospital privileges or remain on insurance panels. It is for this reason that the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) recently filed suit in federal district court of New Jersey against the ABMS on the grounds of restraint of trade.

The beneficiaries of this system are not patients, but rather are the medical “leaders” in the bureaucracy of their respective specialties who profess quality of care and hide behind this veneer when all that they have really done is to devise an ingenious scheme for self-profit. These very same doctors refuse to submit to the rules that their colleagues are subjected to- they have created ways to “grandfather” themselves and side step this process. Mechanisms already existed to deal with continuing education and incompetence, and any perceived deficits could have been addressed within this framework thereby avoiding this boondoggle.

This matter is more than a power struggle between doctors. It is emblematic of many of the problems confronting our country and the direction that we seem to be taking in handling them. Creating a more complex bureaucracy simply to control the masses weakens the individual and should trouble everyone, even if that individual is a physician. Especially if that individual is a physician. Patients should want their doctors concentrating more on being better at what they do, not fulfilling meaningless requirements that have no bearing on patient care.

Hal Scherz is the President & Founder of Docs4PatientCare. He is a full time pediatric urologist at Children’s Hospital of Atlanta and a clinical associate professor of urology at Emory University.

Please visithttp://www.docs4patientcare.org

Members don't see this ad.

Zzzzzz...

Right now, in pain medicine, we need some way of differentiating those who know something about pain medicine from the quacks out there that have no training and are flooding the market with ill advised opioids or are doing injections they cannot competently perform.

As of right now, ABMS certification is the only way of having any inkling, and while it isn't that effective, it is a start...

Zzzzzz...

Right now, in pain medicine, we need some way of differentiating those who know something about pain medicine from the quacks out there that have no training and are flooding the market with ill advised opioids or are doing injections they cannot competently perform.

As of right now, ABMS certification is the only way of having any inkling, and while it isn't that effective, it is a start...

It's no start. It's a polished turd. I bet more than half of practicing docs do not have this piece of paper and more grandfathered to just take a test. Only suckers like you (and me) did the fellowship and took the test and will take the test making the d-bags richer who do not take the test or see patients.

FIPP was on the right track, but they needed to make it time spent and not $5k.

Members don't see this ad :)
i disagree.

unlike the rest of you, i was in a situation where i was the non-boarded one.

were board-certified docs better than me? not by a long shot. i trained a lot of them. even being out of ED, i bet im still as good as them.

but when i would see the other non-board certified docs, i saw a lot more variability in their training and expertise, and more of them were outright dangerous than the average certified ones.

It's about "raising the bar." Although, ACGME fellowship training plus ABMS board certification by itself in no way guarantees excellence or even competence, it does raise the bar.

Each time you raise the bar, if nothing else, you thin out the herd and eliminate a few more of the weaker candidates.

Who would you rather have on your team, the guy who qualified for the Olympic trials with 5 medals around his neck, or the guy who never bothered to compete and just says he's awesome?

That being said, I despised giving up an attending salary and moving for a year to do a fellowship, and paying the $2,000 for a single piece of paper as much as the next guy. I'm glad I did, though.

It's about "raising the bar." Although, ACGME fellowship training plus ABMS board certification by itself in no way guarantees excellence or even competence, it does raise the bar.

Each time you raise the bar, if nothing else, you thin out the herd and eliminate a few more of the weaker candidates.

Who would you rather have on your team, the guy who qualified for the Olympic trials with 5 medals around his neck, or the guy who never bothered to compete and just says he's awesome?

to qualify for the olympics you actually have to be good.

to finish an ACGME fellowship, you have to perform only 20 injections, and could be a pathologist. apples to oranges.

if the fellowships were more standardized and actually did raise the bar instead of claiming they raise the bar, then you'd have a point

ACGME fellowships are standardized... They undergo evaluations on a regular basis and have to comply to standards set forth by the committee. The standards is what we can argue (20 blocks is not enough to master a skill). Additionally ACGME requires outside rotations such as psych, anesth/pm&r, neuro, etc... To make sure physicians graduating are multimodal in their approach to managing pain. I agree its not a perfect system, but it certainly raises the bar from a non accreditted program.

to qualify for the olympics you actually have to be good.

to finish an ACGME fellowship, you have to perform only 20 injections, and could be a pathologist. apples to oranges.

if the fellowships were more standardized and actually did raise the bar instead of claiming they raise the bar, then you'd have a point

Yes, if not for the fact that doing no ACGME fellowship requires not 20 injections, but zero.

Don't get me wrong, there are many excellent Pain physicians who did not do fellowships and who aren't boarded. There are ACGME trained and boarded docs who could do better. The question is what we do moving forward.

Beating a dead horse.

Last edited:

That being said, I despised giving up an attending salary and moving for a year to do a fellowship, and paying the $2,000 for a single piece of paper as much as the next guy. I'm glad I did, though.

man, you are so defensive about the fact you did fellowship. this is seen in several threads. whoope doo. :laugh:

in relation to this thread, ABMS doesnt mean much because a lot of doctors are doing the same procedures you do and are not board certified by ABMS yet still do them. yet we (you and I who both did fellowship and are certified by AMBS in pain) still pay overpriced fees to maintain this "membership". For what? when others can still do the same procedures and get paid for yet. But we still pay these steep fees and do all this nonsense MOC and pay more fees -- all for what really?

Last edited:
Zzzzzz...

Dude, the article is about MOC extortion, not ABMS pain medicine certification, of which I am a proud holder. I am not proud the ABMS attempts to extort me for MOC money.

Jesus H Christ, did any of you even read the article? It is not about ABMS board certification in Pain Medicine. It is about the ABMS extorting YOU in exchange for MOC money.

I am ABMS board certified in Pain Medicine and ACGME fellowship trained and proud of it, but outraged at this MOC BS!

man, you are so defensive about the fact you did fellowship. this is seen in several threads. whoope doo. :laugh:

in relation to this thread, ABMS doesnt mean much because a lot of doctors are doing the same procedures you do and are not board certified by ABMS yet still do them. yet we (you and I who both did fellowship and are certified by AMBS in pain) still pay overpriced fees to maintain this "membership". For what? when others can still do the same procedures and get paid for yet. But we still pay these steep fees and do all this nonsense MOC and pay more fees -- all for what really?

You did the extra training and put in the time that others didn't. You should be proud of that fact. Advertise it as meaning something. Don't degrade it and say it's worthless, otherwise you did waste your time and money. You're irritated at the fees and the fact that people who didn't do the extra training get paid the same. I get it. You're not the only one. It still doesn't make the extra training worthless.

Jesus H Christ, did any of you even read the article? It is not about ABMS board certification in Pain Medicine. It is about the ABMS extorting YOU in exchange for MOC money.

I am ABMS board certified in Pain Medicine and ACGME fellowship trained and proud of it, but outraged at this MOC BS!

Some specialties have yearly tests and numerous homework/busy work assignments on top of the 10 year recert exam with its fees. It's a racket. What else do you want me to say? Big Brother is watching and in control. We are in a highly regulated industry. It's a pain in the ar$e, there is no doubt.

You're right, it is BS. Wherever there is prestige, there is corruption. Soon there will be a monthy membership fee. MFers...

I just paid $150 bones to take a 30 question 15minute test through the AAPMR MOC as one of my 4 life long Part II requirements.... ugghhhhh

i dont find paying money that heinous - after all, it is a business expense, so that does technically reduce the overall "cost", and to maintain the state license, i have to do 50 CMEs yearly regardless...

now, the int med MOC initially required finding 20 patients to file affidavits....