Extra classes for prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sad1980s

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be starting pod school in next fall assuming one of my interviews goes well enough this cycle (I have two lined up), giving me a decent amount of time to "burn". I figured I'd start looking for part time work but was also considering taking extra courses at either the local university or community college. My MCAT was not the best, 494, and I don't really feel completely comfortable in some of the subjects even though my actual GPA is decent (3.4 overall 3.3 science).

Would it be worth it to take some extra classes part time such as anatomy/physiology or another chem/bio class that isn't a prerequisite? I also withdrew from a higher level science course, that wasn't a prerequisite (microbio) for health reasons, and was considering retaking it in January and mentioning it during my interviews to prove I'm able to do well in harder courses, so that is also something to take into account. I've heard withdrawals are always a big red flag.

Honestly my biggest worry is not being able to keep up due to forgetting ungrad material, but if I'm mistaken and this isn't something I need to worry about then let me know.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd be starting pod school in next fall assuming one of my interviews goes well enough this cycle (I have a two lined up), giving me a decent amount of time to "burn". I figured I'd start looking for part time work but was also considering taking extra courses at either the local university or community college. My MCAT was not the best, 494, and I don't really feel completely comfortable in some of the subjects even though my actual GPA is decent (3.4 overall 3.3 science).

Would it be worth it to take some extra classes part time such as anatomy/physiology or another chem/bio class that isn't a prerequisite? I also withdrew from a higher level science course, that wasn't a prerequisite (microbio) for health reasons, and was considering retaking it in January and mentioning it during my interviews to prove I'm able to do well in harder courses, so that is also something to take into account. I've heard withdrawals are always a big red flag.

Honestly my biggest worry is not being able to keep up due to forgetting ungrad material, but if I'm mistaken and this isn't something I need to worry about then let me know.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
It would not be worth your time, and even more your money. Please do not prestudy. Enjoy your time. Work, relax, travel, visit friends and family, spend time with them.

Prepwise the only thing I would do closer to the semester is to get familiar with Anki, read what people say about their studying strategies and think about your own ways.

I would find a place to live, move and set everything up before semester starts so you have complete piece of mind. I would familiarize yourself with the area you will be moving to 1-2 weeks before semester starts. Find favorite places to go, eat and relax.

Whatever you do academically to prestudy will be useless. I took anatomy and phys courses, micro, immuno, and some other courses the year before and nothing helped. Its different. Biochem I took in post-bacc is completely different.

Do not prestudy!!!

Reactions: 2 users
@owl1999 I had been out of undergrad for more than ten years when I started my first year. It really didn't matter that I couldn't remember any of the science I had learned back then ;) ... had no effect on my performance, grades, stress, etc. I did however, work up until the day I flew to my new state for school. Definitely regret that decision. Wish I would have made for time for fun things and just relaxing.

@de Ribas had some great advice! Follow it and just enjoy your time off. It will go much faster than you will realize (I had to literally look up which month we were in just now because it really all kind of blurs together :)

Also, I had a couple of Ws from my time in undergrad and no one every asked as to why. Now, that could be because it was so long ago, but just focus on the positives of your app. You'll be fine :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies, you seriously saved me some money. I was dangerously close to signing up for microbio and immuno for the January semester. I just must've been misinformed regarding W's, it's always been my biggest blemish other than my MCAT so I figured retaking the W and doing well would look nice, but if it won't matter I'll hold off.

Thanks for your replies, you seriously saved me some money. I was dangerously close to signing up for microbio and immuno for the January semester. I just must've been misinformed regarding W's, it's always been my biggest blemish other than my MCAT so I figured retaking the W and doing well would look nice, but if it won't matter I'll hold off.
With 3.4 GPA and 494 MCAT you should be ok without retaking any courses unless you miss some core requirements and school tells you to take a certain course before matriculation.

No amount of “prestudying” will ever prepare you for the amount of information you need to learn in medical school.
Enjoy the free time you have now because I’m damn sure you’re gonna miss it when you start school