Extra-Curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleLove

The crappiest of the best.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the bare minimums that will allow someone to get into medical school?
I'm really just trying to focus on my grades, but will of course volunteer in a clinic, work in a lab, and tutor. It just doesn't seem enough?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the bare minimums that will allow someone to get into medical school?
I'm really just trying to focus on my grades, but will of course volunteer in a clinic, work in a lab, and tutor. It just doesn't seem enough?
Ideally, you'd also do some physician shadowing and some nonmedical community service. If you aren't paid for the tutoring, you'd have the latter covered.

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally, you'd also do some physician shadowing and some nonmedical community service. If you aren't paid for the tutoring, you'd have the latter covered.
Sorry! yes, I am starting to shadow this summer (guaranteed) and I plan to volunteer in an animal shelter or soup kitchen. I'm just not trying to spread myself out too thin (or thick? lol).

Members don't see this ad :)
OP since you recently posted about struggling with your grades right now, I'd focus just on you figuring out how to manage your coursework before worrying about ECs. Your undergraduate GPA will be one of the hardest parts of your application to change later. So, getting your academic performance on track should be your top priority. It's MUCH easier to take time to increase your EC involvement later on than it is to make up for poor academic performance. Personally, I was minimally involved in ECs until about half way through my sophomore year when I felt comfortable with my coursework.

Also, remember that once you start working on your ECs you don't have to do everything at once. You should aim for long-term involvements in 2-3 service commitments where you eventually take on a leadership role. Even 1 hour a week over a 3-4 year period will be good--steady, long term-commitment is what counts. You can TA and tutor for one or two semesters--you don't have to keep it up all the time. Winter break and spring break are great times to get some shadowing done, perhaps close to home with a primary care physician. Research can be done over your summers with a reduced commitment during the school year.

Reactions: 2 users
OP since you recently posted about struggling with your grades right now, I'd focus just on you figuring out how to manage your coursework before worrying about ECs. Your undergraduate GPA will be one of the hardest parts of your application to change later. So, getting your academic performance on track should be your top priority. It's MUCH easier to take time to increase your EC involvement later on than it is to make up for poor academic performance. Personally, I was minimally involved in ECs until about half way through my sophomore year when I felt comfortable with my coursework.

Also, remember that once you start working on your ECs you don't have to do everything at once. You should aim for long-term involvements in 2-3 service commitments where you eventually take on a leadership role. Even 1 hour a week over a 3-4 year period will be good--steady, long term-commitment is what counts. You can TA and tutor for one or two semesters--you don't have to keep it up all the time. Winter break and spring break are great times to get some shadowing done, perhaps close to home with a primary care physician. Research can be done over your summers with a reduced commitment during the school year.
Got it!
I was debating whether to do CNA schooling. Not necessary to be a CNA (though it seems pretty easy to get a job as one here/lots of openings), but as a patient care tech in the ER or something else that requires it (and most jobs in hospitals here do). It would require 14 hours of schooling on he weekends for 8 weeks. I don't do much on the weekends but catch up/review on the last week. But I feel like my clinical volunteering now is just as good with always being with residents/doctors?

I did the CNA course... I thought it was a really easy way to get a PRN job or weekend job that doesn't require any commitment outside of the working hours. The CNA was really simple and easy, it seemed like common sense to me, so I didn't study or crack a book, I only lost time in class. I don't currently work as a CNA, but I do work a PRN unit secretary/switchboard/registration job that's really rewarding as well. I've done this at 3 hospitals and it's the bulk of my ECs, but it's what's taught me the most about the lifestyle and atmosphere of medicine.