Extracurricular valuation and PSAT/SAT scores

Adeeb Khan

Reaction score
I'm a rising junior and my main goal is to become a cardio-thorasic surgeon or pediatric intensive physician. So far, I am the team captain of my school's LD debate team, won 1st place in presentation and testing in DECA team-entrepeneurship, won a few medals in science olympiad state (but never got to nationals), tried but failed at science fair, and have a high 70 in AP chem but mid-high 90s in other subjects (per sophomore year). Currently I'm working on building a state platform for debate file-sharing+coaching and also establishing a HOSA chapter at my school. Due to COVID, I haven't been able to volunteer, shadow, or do research in a lab, but I do have connections to do so later. My initial practice PSAT score was an 1130 and since then I've done multiple tests and drills. I'm really anxious and get anxiety attacks whenever I think about medical school competition. I wanted to know if what I've done means anything substantial in terms of an application to pre-med. If anyone could help direct me to what I should do in addition, or rather focus on, I would be really appreciative. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that you are involved. Colleges love to see that stuff. However, you seem to be getting a little ahead of yourself. You talk about shadowing, volunteering, and research like they are requirements for becoming a premed. Beneficial? Yes (probably not research). Necessary? Not until you apply for medical school (still, not including research).

Shadowing will give you a better understanding of what being a physician is like. If you can't do this during high school, no big deal. Volunteering could help with scholarships perhaps; plus, it's just a good thing to get involved with. Many people, including myself, get accepted to med school without research, so you don't need to worry about that at your age.

As a high schooler, getting good grades and scoring well on the SAT should be your main focus.

There's no utility in worrying that much about med school, especially at a stage when what you do really doesn't mean that much to medical schools, excluding things like crime.

Get good grades, keep studying for the SAT, stay involved, and enjoy yourself. Everything else can wait