Extracurriculars in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaroldCricksWatch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

There doesn't seem to be much discussion on the importance of being involved in extracurricular activities in dental school, so I am thinking it is not that important. I still wanted to ask, is it important and how much so, for job applications after graduation?
A few people I know in my class are getting involved in outreach programs even during heavy exam times, and I don't get why. Many also get involved in clubs and organizations. Does it help them with applying to jobs after graduation, or maybe they do them because they truly enjoy doing these activities?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously? What is another type of institution dental grads can apply to other than a job? What other reason would ECs help benefit a graduating dental student? Put your thinking cap on. Let me know if you need any more hints.

Seriously? What is another type of institution dental grads can apply to other than a job? What other reason would ECs help benefit a graduating dental student? Put your thinking cap on. Let me know if you need any more hints.

Putting aside the unnecessarily rude sarcasm, you're saying it is not important. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! FOR RESIDENCY!!!!! Jesus
Incorrect. Residencies/specialties mostly look at GPA, class rank, board scores and your letters of evaluation. ECs may be factored in but play a significantly more minor role.

Reactions: 1 user
Incorrect. Residencies/specialties mostly look at GPA, class rank, board scores and your letters of evaluation. ECs may be factored in but play a significantly more minor role.
So incorrect but correct?

Haven't graduated yet but I would assume residency interviews would like to know about you and what you do with your time.

Talking about your activity in XYZ organization and how helping bla bla bla motivates you will be a lot better than the person who does nothing school or professionally related outside of class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

EC's are quite important when applying to residency. There are no longer "board scores"...P/F. Many schools are P/F transcripts. The ADAT is new and will not be useful as a metric for a while. PD's would like to see that you have spent some free time learning more about dental areas of interest, and giving back to the community and/or underserved. Applications without any EC's are considerably weaker than those with several good quality EC's. By the way, all PD's know that letters of rec are generally not that valuable, as you have asked someone who "likes you" to write it.

I think the best EC would be studying.