Extremely frustrated by Step I prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flunkingbrain

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

US born IMG here, in my last year of medical school (6 year program in Europe).
I am extremely concerned and worried about sitting for Step 1, I have been postponing and studying on and off for months at a time for a couple of years now and still feel like I know nothing. Being at a school in Eastern Europe the program gives me a very weak foundation compared to what I would have if I had chosen to remain in the US. First Aid, Pathoma doesn't stick, feel like I know a lot of "many things" but no concrete foundation. Have decided to switch only to UWorld (this type of learning is more effective for me) but my lack of self confidence and discipline to stick to one subject ("systems" v. "random") has me extremely impatient and beaten down. At this point I am close to giving up as I am too stressed to have a clear study plan. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
B&B is king in my opinion and in a great way to learn too check it out, if you got other questions lemme know i took step last week

Thank you, but I don't think I have enough time for that and don't learn well by passively reading/watching
the only way you can really actively learn the material for step is by going into practice (not an option) and doing more questions, while doing questions is clearly a must it will only contribute to the issue that you stated you have (no foundation and only bits and pieces of material). the only way (for you) to learn new material and truly establish a foundation is to read textbooks or watch lectures and learn the material from the ground up, questions will not do this and will only teach you what that specific question is testing. If you dont want to do it then i dont know what to tell you. Take practice exams and see how youre scoring maybe you are better than you think

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

US born IMG here, in my last year of medical school (6 year program in Europe).
I am extremely concerned and worried about sitting for Step 1, I have been postponing and studying on and off for months at a time for a couple of years now and still feel like I know nothing. Being at a school in Eastern Europe the program gives me a very weak foundation compared to what I would have if I had chosen to remain in the US. First Aid, Pathoma doesn't stick, feel like I know a lot of "many things" but no concrete foundation. Have decided to switch only to UWorld (this type of learning is more effective for me) but my lack of self confidence and discipline to stick to one subject ("systems" v. "random") has me extremely impatient and beaten down. At this point I am close to giving up as I am too stressed to have a clear study plan. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.
Set a date and stick to it no matter what. You can’t still be waiting to take step 1 after 10 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I have read FA and Pathoma multiple times, don't get me wrong.. I know all about P/F and that I must take it at some point... just frustrating not knowing if I am studying "the right way" or not..

I have read FA and Pathoma multiple times, don't get me wrong.. I know all about P/F and that I must take it at some point... just frustrating not knowing if I am studying "the right way" or not..
Take a couple NBMEs eventually (if you've read thru both FA and Pathoma this should be feasible), that will tell you a lot regarding if you're studying the right way.