Extremely frustrated with first scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdl9xc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took my first DAT and the numbers will probably speak for themselves

PAT 21
QR 23
RC 25
BIO 19
GCHEM 19
OCHEM 11
TS 16
AA19

I pretty much only used Crack the DAT thinking it would be comparable but I ended up getting 8 points below my average on their practice exams in Ochem and it completely dragged down my score. Really I just did significantly worse in all sciences across the board though.
I'm beyond frustrated, don't know what to do and really need some guidance here now that the system changed and I can't retake until December

My GPA is 3.8

Members don't see this ad.

This seems too drastic to be true... Were you not able to complete the SNS section (like leaving the last 10-20 questions blank)?

I did not feel pressed for time on any section other than the PAT where I had to go back and do 3 hole punches in the last 2 minutes

Retake and try to expand the scope of your resources to get exposure to more content and practice problems. Your PAT, QR, and RC scores are all great so that will give you plenty of time to dedicate to reviewing the sciences. You can definitely improve these scores with effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
isn't 11 like bottom 10 percentile or even lower?
With your GPA and other sections being that high, I don't know how that's even remotely possible unless you really struggled with orgo in college and didn't brush up on it before taking the dat..

retake is needed for sure just because of that. overall score wasn't bad at all, if not for the orgo.

isn't 11 like bottom 10 percentile or even lower?
With your GPA and other sections being that high, I don't know how that's even remotely possible unless you really struggled with orgo in college and didn't brush up on it before taking the dat..

retake is needed for sure just because of that. overall score wasn't bad at all, if not for the orgo.
I'm actually applying to dental school now after taking a year to work after undergrad and going back to school for a masters so I'm about 6 years removed from orgo. I had an extremely false sense of security based on my scores on Crack the DATs practice tests and now I'm paying the price

I'm actually applying to dental school now after taking a year to work after undergrad and going back to school for a masters so I'm about 6 years removed from orgo. I had an extremely false sense of security based on my scores on Crack the DATs practice tests and now I'm paying the price

I see, i wasn't trying to put you down or anything. I just thought that 1 score was so inconsistent with the rest of the data that it's included in.
Most people would agree that you will likely need a retake just because it doesn't meet the cutoff line for most schools.

there are good study materials out there that you can use to improve vastly on it, so don't worry too much.

I am sorry for your Orgo score.
If it wasn't for that you would have been in a better spot!

I wish you haven't gone to the test without seeing how you'd fare on 2009/2007 tests first, but that's that.

I would read people break down and do exactly as they did.
start here:
DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)

Inform schools that you are going to retake on December.

Remember 19 on chem-bio and 25 on Rc and 23 on QR and 21 on pat
says you are more than capable on doing well next time.

Don't be discouraged ok!

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just took my first DAT and the numbers will probably speak for themselves

PAT 21
QR 23
RC 25
BIO 19
GCHEM 19
OCHEM 11
TS 16
AA19

I pretty much only used Crack the DAT thinking it would be comparable but I ended up getting 8 points below my average on their practice exams in Ochem and it completely dragged down my score. Really I just did significantly worse in all sciences across the board though.
I'm beyond frustrated, don't know what to do and really need some guidance here now that the system changed and I can't retake until December

My GPA is 3.8
Please feel free to private message and I will discuss a game plan that will increase your scores in round 2. It is understandable after being away from Orgo for so many years you found it very challenging. Your reading score is excellent and so is QR. With some good direction, you should be able to bring up all the Science scores.

Dr. Romano

Since you haven't taken Orgo in a while, I'd suggest thoroughly covering the material before your retake. I took the DAT again this summer, several years after having taken chemistry, and I spent a good half of my study time going over organic reactions, properties and reagents. Personally, I used the Mike's videos since I was using bootcamp, but I also supplemented that with Destroyer and my old textbooks, so I think that any material/video series can work as long as you put the time in to really re-learn the material. It worked for me- I was able to bump my orgo score up 7 points! Good luck and chin up!

why do u think u got 11? if you are scoring around 19 (what you stated), was the real DAT a lot harder? not trying to disappoint you but scoring 11 meaning you got a lot of problems wrong... did you have trouble answering the questions? before you start studying again for retake, first ask yourself what happened, and then you can work from there. I scored 15 in orgo for first time and i scored 24 second time so it is very doable if you use the right material! as far i know, bootcamp is the best score indicator. i strongly recommend to get bc.

why do u think u got 11? if you are scoring around 19 (what you stated), was the real DAT a lot harder? not trying to disappoint you but scoring 11 meaning you got a lot of problems wrong... did you have trouble answering the questions? before you start studying again for retake, first ask yourself what happened, and then you can work from there. I scored 15 in orgo for first time and i scored 24 second time so it is very doable if you use the right material! as far i know, bootcamp is the best score indicator. i strongly recommend to get bc.

Bootcamp isn't a strong indicator. Beaware of people telling you to get these resources, a lot of prep companies have been caught for stealth marketing like bootcamp ahere.

@jdl9xc How did you prepare studying for OChem? It sounds like you need to focus all your attention on ochem and learning all the concepts thoroughly. I would suggest reviewing the topics on Khan Academy and learning the material rather than dropping $247 on a resource and doing practice tests blindly (practice tests will NOT increase your scores, only HARDWORK and STUDYING will do that).

Last edited:
Bootcamp isn't a strong indicator. Beaware of people telling you to get these resources, a lot of prep companies have been caught for stealth marketing like bootcamp ahere.

@jdl9xc How did you prepare studying for OChem? It sounds like you need to focus all your attention on ochem and learning all the concepts thoroughly. I would suggest reviewing the topics on Khan Academy and learning the material rather than dropping $247 on a resource and doing practice tests blindly (practice tests will NOT increase your scores, only HARDWORK and STUDYING will do that).
i'm just sharing my personal experience here. I agree everyone is different. For the first time i took my test, I only used Kaplan and i scored 15. Based on my experience, Bootcamp helped me A LOT. Of course, bootcamp itself is not enough. it is purely for testing your knowledge. To understand the material, I'd say chad's video is the best for me. Also, why do people keep telling others to get bootcamp or other materials ? because they are working! i didn't know about bc until i saw people suggested bc here on SDN.