Facebook attempt to address SI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F0nzie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just read this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...help-prevent-suicide-20111213,0,6682084.story.

I've had several kids come to the ED brought in my police, friends, or family after making suicidal comments on facebook. Seems like a good alternative to a "Like" button when your friend on facebook makes a suicidal comment.

Members don't see this ad.

The suicide threats of yesteryear will soon be replaced with the "I'm going to delete my Facebook" threats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Facebook was created for borderlines. The intentionally vague comments, meant to stir up attention and worry, are almost unbearable. They sure get a lot of responses, which are immediately replied to until someone asks specifics and they disappear (i.e. my sister-in-law "I'm in the ER!!!" [because the pcp office is closed] and then disappears when asked why then later posts "looks like I'm going to have to have surgery" [tonsillectomy]).

A frustration I have with sites like Facebook is occasionally someone writes something extremely valuable to a mental health professional on it.

And if you try to contact them, they will usually be of no assistance whatsoever.