FAES at NIH - Any Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewS21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I just found out about this program at NIH that offers upper level science courses at both the undergrad and grad levels.

Has anyone had any experience with this/does anyone know if medical schools accept these courses the same as from a 4-year institution?

http://www.faes.org/

Members don't see this ad.

Q: Is the FAES Graduate School accredited? The FAES Graduate School operates under the approval of the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
Q: Are credits transferable? Credits are transferable, but we suggest you check with the university or college to make sure they will accept the credits before registering for FAES classes.

Yeah, I saw that but I was more asking if anyone knew whether it's viewed by med schools as a 4-yr institution or more like a community college. Considering taking a class or two there for a couple semesters but wasn't sure if I should try a different route instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I saw that but I was more asking if anyone knew whether it's viewed by med schools as a 4-yr institution or more like a community college. Considering taking a class or two there for a couple semesters but wasn't sure if I should try a different route instead.
really late but I was wondering if you ever got answer to this question

FAES courses are really meant for individuals currently employed by the NIH. I'm currently an employee there and one of my classes was accredited by Hopkins and the other didn't really count for anything. Many of the standard science courses are seen in a similar light to community college courses from adcom's i've spoken to.

FAES courses are really meant for individuals currently employed by the NIH. I'm currently an employee there and one of my classes was accredited by Hopkins and the other didn't really count for anything. Many of the standard science courses are seen in a similar light to community college courses from adcom's i've spoken to.
I am working at the NIH. I would like to show continued interest in learning and medicine by taking these classes. Do you think it would be better worth my time to spend that time on more clinical volunteering? I don't want to mess up my application by taking these classes if it will look badly.

I can't imagine it hurting your application. They have many that might actually be helpful such as intro to pharm, intro to functional neuroanatomy or more policy type classes. The quality of instruction is hit or miss as they're typically just Phd's that are on campus. There's also plenty of Clinical volunteering within Building 10- CRC

I can't imagine it hurting your application. They have many that might actually be helpful such as intro to pharm, intro to functional neuroanatomy or more policy type classes. The quality of instruction is hit or miss as they're typically just Phd's that are on campus. There's also plenty of Clinical volunteering within Building 10- CRC
thanks so much for the input

Many of the standard science courses are seen in a similar light to community college courses from adcom's i've spoken to.
fQ791x