Failed APMLE Part 1 first try

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting here because I am hoping there are few people out there who were in my shoes not too long ago. I studied like crazy and ended up with a 74. I don't understand what happened. I was scoring >70 on Board Vitals. I want to know what this means for my future residency. Please, I really need some advice. I am really not doing well.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry to hear this. You will get it the next time!!! Hang in there. You are in the same shoes as so many others have been who've gone on to become great physicians.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I am posting here because I am hoping there are few people out there who were in my shoes not too long ago. I studied like crazy and ended up with a 74. I don't understand what happened. I was scoring >70 on Board Vitals. I want to know what this means for my future residency. Please, I really need some advice. I am really not doing well.
I'm in the same situation, I did well on practice exams and studied fairly hard. I truly don't know what happened plus it seems like everyone around me passed, even those who I know have struggled with classes that I haven't. I've done well in school and never failed a class so I don't understand. I can't help but feel like a failure and like I'm really not cut out to be in pod school and that I've just been lucky to do relatively well up until now. I'm also so nervous about finding time to study for the second chance we get in October. Anyone has been in a similar situation in the past that was able to get past it? Is this score representative of my intelligence or ability to be in school? How have others been able to study better for the second time around? So many questions, so many concerns

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same situation, I did well on practice exams and studied fairly hard. I truly don't know what happened plus it seems like everyone around me passed, even those who I know have struggled with classes that I haven't. I've done well in school and never failed a class so I don't understand. I can't help but feel like a failure and like I'm really not cut out to be in pod school and that I've just been lucky to do relatively well up until now. I'm also so nervous about finding time to study for the second chance we get in October. Anyone has been in a similar situation in the past that was able to get past it? Is this score representative of my intelligence or ability to be in school? How have others been able to study better for the second time around? So many questions, so many concerns
Sameee situation here, I wasn’t a good student but I was able to pass all my classes (one retest in 2nd semester though). 4th semester is considered to be the hardest semester at my school but I was able to do decent in that semester without any failure. I honestly feel like that score is not from my exam. I was sure about >100 questions on the exam.

Let's take the good with the bad here. The good is - you get to retake it and in general no one cares. If this breaks your spirit - guess what - the years ahead are much harder. Drop all this I'm a failure talk. A failure is a person who fails a test that can be retaken and quits.

Now the bad. This should sting for you. Everyone in life every once in awhile needs a moment where they don't succeed to really figure out where they fit in life. If you were an MD student right now and you had big ambitions - they would likely need revision. They get to retake it but it defines them - it sticks around. And make no mistake. This is a criminally easy test. DPM students like to post about being medical students and say they have what it takes, but if you can't pass APMLE you can't pass USMLE. Worse still, you failed a test that 95% of your classmates passed.

Now refer back to paragraph one. Get your game face on. Realize there will be disappointments ahead. Know when I tell you this that I've experienced my own very painful failures - all you can do is try to learn from it. I personally think APMLE Part 2 is harder than part 1 because parter 2 is stupider and has more podiatry questions. Board certification tests are even worse. You are no where close to done with tests. Be ready for them.

I don't recall all my classmates who failed part 1 (it was like ..4-5 people), but I recall very specifically that 2 of the people who failed APMLE part 1 on their first try went to the residencies they wanted to go to, are now hospital employed and surgical. Stop fretting. Start studying.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe I’m in denial but I honestly feel like that was not my exam that they scored and something messed up. I just cannot believe the fact that I was scoring >70% in the APMLE practice tests as well but ended up failing. I’m sorry but I just really can’t believe it.

You’ll be fine as long as you put the time and effort in on the retake. Unless you’re a really good student you will likely have some slip up in your podiatry career. Either a failed school exam, a failed class, failed board exam, go unmatched, whatever.

It’s truly about how you bounce back. Because after awhile the more you go along in your education from school to residency to actual practice the less people care about your slip ups. It’s all about how you are as a doctor & surgeon.

If you work hard you will be fine. Be disappointed for a day, but tomorrow work on the retake.

I don’t think this failure will effect you too much. Just work hard. Be personable, prepared, and helpful on externships when that time comes as well. Use this failure as motivation. Good luck

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
**** happens. Retake it and move on.
I know people that failed part 1 and still got a great residency.
Just use it as motivation to work harder next time.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with everyone’s advice above. In the grand scheme of things, it really will not matter as long as you pass the second time. One of my good friends failed and he matched at a great residency program this year.

• Care
Retake the test. If you fail again do something else. It is still early that you won't owe too much money trying to do something you may not be cut out for. Even though APMLE is a poor exam it is still an indicator for passing the ABFAS board exam.

Parts 1-3 were laughably (literally) easy first-order type questions. I remember stopping myself from chuckling in the prometric exam room as not to cause suspicion to the camera watchers. I think 70s may be law for practice exams? You probably just had a rough day. I believe most people who retake do pass. Use fear of failure as motivation to pass this time?

Did you take a rest break during the exam to give someone a swirlee in the toilet, and then push some nerds into lockers on your way out?

I've never heard someone brag about taking the podiatry licensing boards lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Parts 1-3 were laughably (literally) easy first-order type questions.
My exam definitely did NOT comprise of first order type questions. I had questions with long stems and clinical scenarios. My exam was very hard compared to board vitals and APMLE practice tests. Maybe it was laughable for you but it wasn’t laughable for me or many of my classmates.

Parts 1-3 were laughably (literally) easy first-order type questions. I remember stopping myself from chuckling in the prometric exam room as not to cause suspicion to the camera watchers. I think 70s may be law for practice exams? You probably just had a rough day. I believe most people who retake do pass. Use fear of failure as motivation to pass this time?
Only thing laughable was the Gene questions I got on my exam last year. Definitely a complete guess lol; never once learned about them related to the questions I got.

So sorry to hear this. You will get it the next time!!! Hang in there. You are in the same shoes as so many others have been who've gone on to become great physicians.

If any of those who failed want motivation by audio. This is a great listen to get you into the mood to kick ass (also in the gym too!)

You guys got this, Rise and succeed!

Reactions: 1 user