Failed boards, dismissed from school, now looking for options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voltr221

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just recently dismissed from a D.O. school, for failing to pass the level 1 exam. Currently I am trying to consider any possible options for the future. From undergrad and medical school I currently owe over $287,000 in student loans. I've considered nursing or becoming a physician assistant, but have exhausted my federal student loan eligibility so that I could not afford the cost to complete the remaining prerequisites, since my undergraduate degree did not require statistics or anatomy. My undergraduate degree was in biochemistry, graduated in 2010, so are there any other possible career options that you would recommend? I'm just glad at this point that I have no family to support, with no earthly idea how to dig out of this massive hole I've created.

Thank you for any suggestions!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just recently dismissed from a D.O. school, for failing to pass the level 1 exam. Currently I am trying to consider any possible options for the future. From undergrad and medical school I currently owe over $287,000 in student loans. I've considered nursing or becoming a physician assistant, but have exhausted my federal student loan eligibility so that I could not afford the cost to complete the remaining prerequisites, since my undergraduate degree did not require statistics or anatomy. My undergraduate degree was in biochemistry, graduated in 2010, so are there any other possible career options that you would recommend? I'm just glad at this point that I have no family to support, with no earthly idea how to dig out of this massive hole I've created.

You could try sales rep for a pharma company?

Really sorry to hear your predicament :/

Reactions: 1 user
PhD, if you have some research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
PA seems best from what you've said. There are private student loans available. I would guess the cheapest PA programs in the country can't be too expensive. If you made it through 2 years of medical school I'd think you're a very attractive candidate for PA school. Maybe talk to some programs to see what they can offer you.

How many times did you fail level 1? I know this is too late to ask, but can you work something out with your school, like another redemption or LoA to study for the board?

Other alternative options include AA programs, or RN -> NP or CRNA, or PT, or podiatry, or pharmacy. PA is the best route, if you can get in though. (You may not attract them with the board failures, hopefully they'll look pass that).

Or

Do you like teaching? You can become a high school science teacher, then could qualify for loan forgiveness, work 9 months a year all breaks paid, full benefits, and pension... it's a good gig especially for someone with probably 250k in debt or more. The amount of debt you owned currently will literally ruin your life if you can't find either a high paying job or something with loan forgiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do schools really dismiss if you fail boards once?

This thread is fishy given that the only other post by the OP says "My step 1 scores were 245 on USMLE step 1and 630 on COMLEX step 1".
Last I checked, the passing threshold for COMLEX was more than an eency weency bit below a 630.

No DO school that I've ever heard of.

Reactions: 9 users
This thread is fishy given that the only other post by the OP says "My step 1 scores were 245 on USMLE step 1and 630 on COMLEX step 1".
Last I checked, the passing threshold for COMLEX was more than an eency weency bit below a 630.

Lol

Nice detective work, GUH. As someone currently waiting for my board scores, I almost wasted some anxiety on this thread.

Seriously OP, if you're trolling , that's mean. Think of all the people waiting for scores . You want to make their anxiety worse?

I think a good amount of schools have a 3 strikes and you're out approach. Of course, I could be wrong and I hope to never find out from personal experience.

It seems OP just made up random stupid stuff. (BTW There is no U.S. med school that kicks you out for failing anything the first time.)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last I checked, the passing threshold for COMLEX was more than an eency weency bit below a 630

Doc-Rivers-Mustache-GIF.gif

HELL NO.jpg

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I love when SDN members do detective work and catch people in their lies. Thanks for the laugh!

Reactions: 3 users
Teaching moment! Despite the troll OP, this raises a good point:

Several careers that come to mind:

Teaching
Research Lab tech
Clinical Lab Tech
Clinical trials supervisor
Podiatry
Optometry
CNA
Tech support
Quality control
technical writing
science/medical writing
Military->corpsman/medic

Reactions: 3 users
Let's not be so mean. If what OP is saying is is true (in this post) he needs some serious help. I'm guessing the first post was fabricated, maybe with the (unrealistic) hope of passing comlex/usmle with those scores. He might not check back, but just in case, here's a couple things to consider...

1. Is there someone you can live with for free while you figure out your next step?
2. You need to get your loans either deferred or set up income base repayment (and since you likely haven't had any income in the last two years, your payments will be $0). Defaulting on your student loans would be disastrous and should be avoided at all costs.

I'm honestly not sure what career will dig you out of the debt you're in. But, after 25 years of on-time monthly payments through income based repayments, your loans are "forgiven" (but any remaining balance that is forgiven is usually taxed). You need to speak with a financial advisor that is familiar with student loans and repayment/deferment options (any chance your DO school has someone you can speak with?)

Also, if you're considering nursing or PA school, a lot of the pre-reqs can be taken at a community college which will be much, much more affordable than your local university.

Good luck!

open up an osteopathic medical school

Let's not be so mean. If what OP is saying is is true (in this post) he needs some serious help. I'm guessing the first post was fabricated, maybe with the (unrealistic) hope of passing comlex/usmle with those scores. He might not check back, but just in case, here's a couple things to consider...

1. Is there someone you can live with for free while you figure out your next step?
2. You need to get your loans either deferred or set up income base repayment (and since you likely haven't had any income in the last two years, your payments will be $0). Defaulting on your student loans would be disastrous and should be avoided at all costs.

I'm honestly not sure what career will dig you out of the debt you're in. But, after 25 years of on-time monthly payments through income based repayments, your loans are "forgiven" (but any remaining balance that is forgiven is usually taxed). You need to speak with a financial advisor that is familiar with student loans and repayment/deferment options (any chance your DO school has someone you can speak with?)

Also, if you're considering nursing or PA school, a lot of the pre-reqs can be taken at a community college which will be much, much more affordable than your local university.

Good luck!

You're right, my first post on the forum was written with the hope of being able to pass COMLEX . I'm not a troll, as others suggested, but I did fail the level 1 exam twice. My first failure was a 390, in June 2014. My school recommended/required a 1 year leave of absence, so my retake was on 5/20/15, resulting in a 385..., leading to my dismissal. I've moved back in with my parents, in the process of deferring my med school loans. Most of my undergrad loans have reached the limit of deferment, so looking for work to pay for those. Currently I'm applying for PA and pharmacy school, about the only options that will allow me to pay off my debts plus have some semblance of an income to live on. Thank you for your advice!

You're right, my first post on the forum was written with the hope of being able to pass COMLEX . I'm not a troll, as others suggested, but I did fail the level 1 exam twice. My first failure was a 390, in June 2014. My school recommended/required a 1 year leave of absence, so my retake was on 5/20/15, resulting in a 385..., leading to my dismissal. I've moved back in with my parents, in the process of deferring my med school loans. Most of my undergrad loans have reached the limit of deferment, so looking for work to pay for those. Currently I'm applying for PA and pharmacy school, about the only options that will allow me to pay off my debts plus have some semblance of an income to live on. Thank you for your advice!

Okay, then why did you write that you got a 245 on USMLE and 630 on COMLEX and you already did your clinical rotations in your first post? How the hell we know which one to trust?! Furthermore, even if you're not trolling, there are plenties of advices on this thread.

You're right, my first post on the forum was written with the hope of being able to pass COMLEX . I'm not a troll, as others suggested, but I did fail the level 1 exam twice. My first failure was a 390, in June 2014. My school recommended/required a 1 year leave of absence, so my retake was on 5/20/15, resulting in a 385..., leading to my dismissal.

Every school I know gives you three attempts to pass Level 1. Was there something else?

Reactions: 2 users
Teaching moment! Despite the troll OP, this raises a good point:

Several careers that come to mind:

Teaching
Research Lab tech
Clinical Lab Tech
Clinical trials supervisor
Podiatry
Optometry
CNA
Tech support
Quality control
technical writing
science/medical writing
Military->corpsman/medic
I second clinical laboratory technologist. I'm currently in the field and if you are living in a major city you have a lot of OT, per diem and part time opportunities. Working 60 hours you should easily clear 6 figures, making 110-120k where I'm currently at. Plus work for a not for profit hospital means your eligible for loan forgiveness after 10 years. Having that debt isn't the end of the world, there are options just depends how hard you are willing to work.

Dude...you're caught in a lie. You blew it.

Reactions: 2 users
So what happens when a person fails step 1 multiple times? Is it more a lack of discipline or brain power?

Our students who fail COMLEX fall into two groups.

The first are the "no surprises". These were bottom of the class students throughout medical school and generally had poor work ethics, were poor test takers, bad at time mgt., or never could grasp the big picture. I suspect that for a few, medicine was not in their heart, and this was their way of doing "suicide by exam".

The students who are surprise COMLEX failures generally had some life event hit them right at COMLEX time, like a sudden death in the family, or marital woes.

So what happens when a person fails step 1 multiple times? Is it more a lack of discipline or brain power?

For others reading this thread: don't bother lying to tell stories here. SDN seems to love theoretical scenarios anyway-- just be honest about what you're trying to do so you don't get burned for lying later.