Failed CK, planning to retake Oct 3rd, entering NRMP in September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a FMG that sadly failed CK once, and planning to retake it in 3 October. I'm not that unique, except that I have an extensible computer science background.

I thought about retaking it early September, just to show I passed when PD's look into my application starting September 15th, and so that I would be eligible for many interviews in October - but honestly, I fear I might fail again. After many talks 3 October is the best I can do.

I'm casting a very wide net - I am going to apply to 169 programs - factors I considered were FMG%, alumni, low-income cities, programs that don't look at CK for interview offers, rural unopposed programs. Waiting a year is not an option for me.

I have two questions for you guys:

1) What are your thoughts on my decision? Will I have a chance this year?

2) If this doesn't work out, I'm prepared to scramble for an intern year at any specialty - will my application be okay as it is (FM centric) to be used for this emergency situation?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear about what happened to you. trust me i was in your same position. focus on getting the exam done first. the rest will fall into place. don't lose focus on the goal and getting your goal requires that you pass ck.
scramble is rough and unpredictable. hope for the best but prepare for the worst. a lot of the spots appear to be unfilled but programs already have a list of candidates lined up to make their lives easier. if you don't make it this year, it is not the end of the world even though it feels like it, trust me i was devastated too. private message me if you want to chat more.

I would strongly recommend holding off on submitting your application on ERAS until AFTER you get your new score back in October. Because many programs will simply filter you out based on your failed CK, and the fact that you do not have a passed CK score yet. Look at it from the program's perspective - what if you do not end up passing CK this year at all? Then by interviewing you, they would have lost out on interviewing another potential candidate. Also passing CK is a requirement to start residency, so there would be some risk from the program's standpoint in that regard as well.

However, if you have a failed CK and then are able to pass it on the second attempt, many programs will be able to overlook your failed score and will look at your new score. Even though your application will go in later, I feel that this is the best option for you at this point, given that you are not able to take CK any earlier. Good luck!