Failed COMLEX level 2, should I apply by September 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeolla

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I failed COMLEX level 2 and am studying for it again. I'm lost and feel like in limbo about applying to programs.

I don't know if I should submit my ERAS application by September 15th with programs knowing very well my failed score?

Will I get any interviews at all?

Will programs see both COMLEX level 1 and 2 scores or is there a way not to release level 2 on ERAS?

Should I wait until I retake the exam with score coming back in mid November and apply to programs? How many programs should I apply?

My stats are COMLEX level 1 435 first attempt, not taken PE yet, did fine in school, some research, good feedback and evals, a decent number of volunteer work. I'd like to go into IM. But am considering FM also. What are my chances?

Should I apply to tons of transitional and preliminary programs come September 15th? How difficulty is it to get interviews from preliminary programs for someone in my situation? I am so worried about not matching.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough situation. In order.
I don't know if I should submit my ERAS application by September 15th with programs knowing very well my failed score?
Always apply on 9/15, no exceptions. Your failure is bad, but you don't want to miss out on interviews that you might get. You can always update your app when you get your repeat score back.

Depends on specialty and the rest of your application. Worrying about it now does you no good, you have to apply on 9/15 anyways and hope for the best.

Will programs see both COMLEX level 1 and 2 scores or is there a way not to release level 2 on ERAS?

You have to release both.

Should I wait until I retake the exam with score coming back in mid November and apply to programs? How many programs should I apply?
If you wait until November you may as well just do the SOAP or accept that you'll need a gap year--all of the interviews will be given out by November.

My stats are COMLEX level 1 435 first attempt, not taken PE yet, did fine in school, some research, good feedback and evals, a decent number of volunteer work. I'd like to go into IM. But am considering FM also. What are my chances?

Should I apply to tons of transitional and preliminary programs come September 15th? How difficulty is it to get interviews from preliminary programs for someone in my situation?

I'll leave this to people who are more familiar with COMLEX scoring than me.

I am so worried about not matching.

It's a tough spot, and I know it's a very stressful time for you right now. Nothing we can say is going to change that. The good news is that if you retake and pass level 2, you probably stand a decent chance of eventually matching. Maybe not this year, maybe not in IM, and maybe not exactly where you want to do your residency, but most US DO grads eventually find a spot.

In any case, thinking about this big picture right now is overwhelming--you need to just focus on the immediate task in front of you, which is doing as well as you possibly can on your re-take. If you can't pass comfortably this time around, then none of the rest of this will matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I failed COMLEX level 2 and am studying for it again. I'm lost and feel like in limbo about applying to programs.

Should I apply to tons of transitional and preliminary programs come September 15th? How difficulty is it to get interviews from preliminary programs for someone in my situation? I am so worried about not matching.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

No whatever you do, send out your stuff 9/15. November is primetime interview season so you will be very late in the cycle by then.

Yes, you have to release both scores. I would retake comlex2 as soon as you can and take the PE as well. Update the programs coordinators when you get your scores back ASAP. Unfortunately, many programs will automatically filter you out for interviews if you don't have the required tests in your ERAS application.

In regards to your scores, see where you lie on the comlex bell curve. Its tough but take a hard look at yourself and apply realistically/broadly. Prelims/TY (aside from surgical prelim) aren't easy to match into also since applicants vying for advanced spots will be going for them as well.