failed CS and the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nirvana23

Schwartz Master
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I actually failed Step 2 CS.:mad: :mad: :mad: Let's skip over how that actually happened.

How and will this affect my IM Match application? I am a US senior and have an otherwise solid application. I set ERAS to automatically transmit my scores!:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I actually failed Step 2 CS.:mad: :mad: :mad: Let's skip over how that actually happened.

How and will this affect my IM Match application? I am a US senior and have an otherwise solid application. I set ERAS to automatically transmit my scores!:scared:

How did you do on CK? If the rest of your application is good, then I would not worry too much. Perhaps you could contact the PDs at your top choices and ask them about it? I don't know - is aprogdirector out there with their perspective.

I feel for you! I am so sorry! This is such a stressful time!

That is why I am doing CS AFTER Feb 21st my friend. Unless you were required to do it sooner but most schools only require taking it before graduation.

That is why I am doing CS AFTER Feb 21st my friend. Unless you were required to do it sooner but most schools only require taking it before graduation.

I'm taking it late as well (March 21st), but am starting to hope that I don't get the news that I failed it three weeks before I start residency. I am looking to try and move it up if a spot opens up. I wish I had taken it right after third year while all my skillz were fresh.

I'm taking it late as well (March 21st), but am starting to hope that I don't get the news that I failed it three weeks before I start residency. I am looking to try and move it up if a spot opens up. I wish I had taken it right after third year while all my skillz were fresh.

My skills were piss poor then and piss poor now so really made no diff. I mean when in third year did you test fo egophony or percuss someones lung fields or did a full ROM MSK exam. Seriously this is all I ever did third year:
-listen to heart (not with the bell and diaphram like your technically suppsoed to)
-listen to lungs in 3 spots on each side of the back (not 8 or whatever)
-pushed on the abdomen for tenderness/pain/rebound (never did soft palapation then hard). Never bothered percussing liver or spleen size. Never listen to bowel sounds.
Neuro-I like neuro and did neuro rotations so did do thorough neuro exams.

And that is aabout it-I hate touching patients so probably explains it:)

Thanks to all of you for your support. I talked to my dean today and she said that it probably wont affect me at all. Here's to hoping.

Fortunately for me, my school does not require CS passage for graduation. I guess all of you are smarter for taking it later. I wanted to get it out of the way, but that did not work out so well...

My skills were piss poor then and piss poor now so really made no diff. I mean when in third year did you test fo egophony or percuss someones lung fields or did a full ROM MSK exam. Seriously this is all I ever did third year:
-listen to heart (not with the bell and diaphram like your technically suppsoed to)
-pushed on the abdomen for tenderness/pain/rebound (never did soft palapation then hard). Never bothered percussing liver or spleen size. Never listen to bowel sounds.

I should probably clarify. While in no way did I do very detailed H&Ps on all my patients in third year, my school had a mock CS exam (where you saw 9 patients), very similar to the real test at the end of our third year. I took a year off btw 3rd and 4th year, so I figured it would've been easier for me to take the exam at that point rather than now--at least then I had been interviewing people for the better part of a year. Now I get to worry about passing while I'm in Australia for 3 weeks. That's what I get for procrastinating--but they should have the goddamn scores back within 4 weeks not 2-3 months. :thumbdown:

Now I get to worry about passing while I'm in Australia for 3 weeks. That's what I get for procrastinating--but they should have the goddamn scores back within 4 weeks not 2-3 months. :thumbdown:

2-3 months is outrageously long! i don't think i would have had the patience to wait that long. i waited less than 5 weeks for mine.

Australia! lucky bastard. :thumbup:

Guys, you definitely don't need to do everything in Bates to do a thorough physical exam for CS. I passed CS without tapping out a liver, feeling for a spleen, etc... In fact, most times, I spent like 3 minutes on the physcial, unless it was a neuro case. Going over the First Aid for CS and practicing with a friend or two the day before is ample prep. Most importantly, I just think you need to stay organized during your encounters and don't 'freak out.'

I'm sure failing CS will have little effect on your ability to match. You'll be graduating from a domestic medical school and programs know you can do a physical exam and write a history :)