Failed ecology. Retake necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you can tell by the title, I failed an ecology class, which obviously drags down my GPA, including sGPA.

I know that a retake would help, but since ecology isn't necessary for medicine, would retaking it be imperative for admissions to a DO postbac program if I did significantly better in more relevant classes (biochem, basic prereqs), and have a science GPA above 3?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you already have an above average GPA? If yes, then no do not retake. With a good GPA and a non pre-req F, your main goal is to prove that you can handle the relevant coursework in addition to all the other stuff.

Is your GPA borderline or below average? If yes, then yes retake. With a bad GPA, your goal is to get your GPA high enough to not get screened based on numbers.

If it isn't a big deal to retake then do so. It shows you don't take failure lightly and can learn from your mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I failed ecology also my prof he was horrible ,the worst human being ever existed in this planet ..I suggest you to retake it yes retake it . At a cheaper school if you can :)

got a C in ecology sophomore yr. retook it senior yr final semester got an A. first time around it was taught by a grad student. if you have the time i would definitely retake

Suggest retaking. I know my colleagues and they would jump all over you, thinking, "if this guy can't pass ecology, how is he going to deal with _____?" insert difficult and intense medical school course here.

As you can tell by the title, I failed an ecology class, which obviously drags down my GPA, including sGPA.

I know that a retake would help, but since ecology isn't necessary for medicine, would retaking it be imperative for admissions to a DO postbac program if I did significantly better in more relevant classes (biochem, basic prereqs), and have a science GPA above 3?

Suggest retaking. I know my colleagues and they would jump all over you, thinking, "if this guy can't pass ecology, how is he going to deal with _____?" insert difficult and intense medical school course here.
My goal right now is to get accepted into a DO postbac first since I've gotten many other bad grades and am retaking most of them. Knowing that postbac programs are often about improving or compensating for low GPAs, would a postbac program's adcoms have that same attitude about how I'll survive if I failed X class?

My goal right now is to get accepted into a DO postbac first since I've gotten many other bad grades and am retaking most of them. Knowing that postbac programs are often about improving or compensating for low GPAs, would a postbac program's adcoms have that same attitude about how I'll survive if I failed X class?

Then retake Ecology too. You'll get an enormous sGPA boost going from an F to an A, especially if you had a 4-credit ecology class like I did. I had a C in it and I retook it for the sGPA boost :thumbup:

Then definitely retake it. Retake all your Fs first, then Ds, then C-, etc. If your GPA is low, you need to get it up before you start worrying about proving yourself via upper-level coursework. Alternatively, you can do what I did and attempt both simultaneously. I had a few D/C- grades that I retook while also taking classes like Microbiology and A&P.

The big plus of DO is the opportunity to do retake, if you fail, there is no question retaking is in order. It may not block you from entering the post-bac, but you should most likely retake this course, it strongly effects your GPA.

If you do well in a post-bac program, then no one will care about the Eco class. Good luck!