NBDE Part 1 !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Semma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed my part 1, gave it about a month back! Got a score of 70, I don't even know how or where to begin studying again! If anyone that has gone through the similar situation, that can help me out that would be great! Last time around, i did dental decks about twice, did first aid twice and ASDA papers once. i was scoring around 50s in the ASDA papers.

Any suggestions, of different study plans or study material you guys suggest would be great!

Thanks alot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am no expert but I think I did ur mistake , I started studying with first aid thought I can do decks during same time but then I realized I was wasting my time .... I tossed the first aid after 4 months ( I was almost done )and started with the decks only. did it twice took around 4 months then did ASDA and passed . I think decks were great first aid was totally waste of time and it was harder and consumed my time and energy in stupid details there was hardly any question about it in the exam .
SO SIMPLY MY ADVICE IS : DO DECKS TWICE AGAIN AND AVOID TIME WASTING AND DISTRACTIONS ......Good luck
BTW don't get discouraged at all I know 4 friends who failed part 1 , all of them passed later and 3 of them already enrolled in programs now :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am no expert but I think I did ur mistake , I started studying with first aid thought I can do decks during same time but then I realized I was wasting my time .... I tossed the first aid after 4 months ( I was almost done )and started with the decks only. did it twice took around 4 months then did ASDA and passed . I think decks were great first aid was totally waste of time and it was harder and consumed my time and energy in stupid details there was hardly any question about it in the exam .
SO SIMPLY MY ADVICE IS : DO DECKS TWICE AGAIN AND AVOID TIME WASTING AND DISTRACTIONS ......Good luck
BTW don't get discouraged at all I know 4 friends who failed part 1 , all of them passed later and 3 of them already enrolled in programs now :)

Thanks for replying! Yeah, im just trying to not let it phase me, i guess ill review decks again. Thank you so much once again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey samoov.. Just wanted to know that if the questions get repeated from nbde and is there no need of studying kaplans or first aid? And the details on the back side of decks cards very necessary? Awaiting over your reply..

Hey samoov.. Just wanted to know that if the questions get repeated from nbde and is there no need of studying kaplans or first aid? And the details on the back side of decks cards very necessary? Awaiting over your reply..
Hi . Yes there are some repeated questions but not that much .... I got less than 25 in 400 questions many of them were easy anyway so its not as helpful as it may sounds but still old questions ASDA or Unreleased are quite important to know HOW and WHAT to study .
I didn't do Kaplan so I don't know about it ..... First Aid was helpful and good but it had way too much useless information and details that doesn't worth the time and effort . its a Pass/Fail exam .. Decks are more than enough to pass so why would you spend time learning about stuff most likely you'll never use again in ur life . And yes u should read the back of the decks card bcz that's where information is , dont count on decks questions .

Hey did anyone try getting it audited?

how do we retake part 1? procedure ? how do we take date again?

how do we retake part 1? procedure ? how do we take date again?
you would need to log back into the jcnde site where you had scheduled your part 1. there is info there that tells you how to retake part 1. I believe the wiat to retake is 90 days.

I failed my part 1, gave it about a month back! Got a score of 70, I don't even know how or where to begin studying again! If anyone that has gone through the similar situation, that can help me out that would be great! Last time around, i did dental decks about twice, did first aid twice and ASDA papers once. i was scoring around 50s in the ASDA papers.

Any suggestions, of different study plans or study material you guys suggest would be great!

Thanks alot in advance!

Do not Give up! I failed twice.... but got it. =) Just applied and I am getting first calls for interview now! You will get it.
I just got my third time when I started getting around 70% on ASAD papers. =) best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys anyone applying NBDE 1 from Russia Moscow please contact.

Do not Give up! I failed twice.... but got it. =) Just applied and I am getting first calls for interview now! You will get it.
I just got my third time when I started getting around 70% on ASAD papers. =) best of luck!
Hey @brazilian21 I failed nbde 2 times too and am about to give up since my chances of getting into a dental school are now bleak! Can you please share your experience?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks alot in advance!
don't lose hope. i studied using kaplan and dental decks only. just be thorough with all that you are using. best of luck

Hey
I failed 3rd time and now I am very depressed.
I don't what to do now
what should I do? should I wait for 1 year and try in for forth time or just give up and start looking for other options like Dental assistant n dental hygienist?
please help me...

Hey
I failed 3rd time and now I am very depressed.
I don't what to do now
what should I do? should I wait for 1 year and try in for forth time or just give up and start looking for other options like Dental assistant n dental hygienist?
please help me...
You have no choice, but wait for a year - those are the rules, do not give up. This exam is difficult, so make sure you are prepared in order to not waste money and time. Some people are able to prepare well fast, some not. Maybe you do need more time. I had decks, but also read textbooks and extra material from internet on subjects I felt weak in. I also found Kaplan notes usefull

Thank you for reply
do you know anyone who had same situation like me and gone through it?

I only used Dental Decks + wiki. Questions are not important, but remember to really understand the explanation of each question. If you're confused about something, use Wiki, google it. I didn't use first aid, not a suitable material for me. Then do the ASDA and some other released questions from previous exam takers. You will do well next time.

Reactions: 1 users
I passed both exams from the first try, but I did not work and had 3-4 months to prepare. I found decks and Kaplan for the Part 1 the most useful. I had to read more on dental anatomy and occlusion

Reactions: 1 user
You have no choice, but wait for a year - those are the rules, do not give up. This exam is difficult, so make sure you are prepared in order to not waste money and time. Some people are able to prepare well fast, some not. Maybe you do need more time. I had decks, but also read textbooks and extra material from internet on subjects I felt weak in. I also found Kaplan notes usefull
Hi what happen if some one fail the NBDE 1 FIVE TIMES, can the person apply into a dental school to start all over again

Hi what happen if some one fail the NBDE 1 FIVE TIMES, can the person apply into a dental school to start all over again
That is a bit of an overkill. They want you to have at least three months between the attempts, a year after three failed attempts. then a new cycle starts of three. With every attempt costing around $500 isn't easier just prepare well?

That is a bit of an overkill. They want you to have at least three months between the attempts, a year after three failed attempts. then a new cycle starts of three. With every attempt costing around $500 isn't easier just prepare well

what am saying is that if someone fail the NBDE part 1 in 5 attempt, can that person apply to start dentistry as a fresh student all over again

hi brazilian .I had failed my part-1 in september 72.I am feeling depressed.Could you tell me how to prepare for next time.which book should i follow more?
How much time for prepration? I am here on visitor visa.

Hey guys... I am a foreign trained dentist and wanted to know if there are any programs that do not require nbde part 1 to apply ...
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMS?
Or advance standing programs?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys! I failed the firt part once. Got the results back yesterday and am a bit clueless how to retake it. I know I have to wait 90 days. But the rest is a little unclear. Do I have to wait 90 days to take the date? Do I have to pay the $600 fee again? Also does auditting scores work?! Please help!!