Failed Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindtheGlottis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Results came out today. Looks like 10.4% of people failed as well. If anyone is interested can see all the stats here: ABPMR - Exam Statistics

Did exceptionally well on my written boards, but failed on the interpersonal and communication domain. In hindsight, I would have done a lot more mock exams. Even after finishing, I knew I didn't hit a perfect score or anything, but I didn't think I failed either. Such a strange exam. Now I have my speciality boards coming up which I'm no longer a candidate for and the ABPMR only offers the exam once yearly. This feels like a major barrier for us by not offering more exam dates and having to put everything on hold - and for what exactly?

Anyone else with me here? Can anyone talk from prior experience and how this affected them as they start going into practice? Is an appeal worth it? What checkboxes do I really need to hit to pass on my interpersonal skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ABPMR.jpg
    ABPMR.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: 2 users
Don't know what to say except I'm sorry. I was fortunate to pass, but left this test feeling worse than I have after any test up to this point in my career. I'm sure you're still a great physician and will make an excellent physiatrist in spite of this setback.

I don't see how this test does anything as far as ensuring we are actually well-trained physiatrists - does ABPMR really believe 45 individuals/10.4% of graduates are inadequately prepared to practice? If so, maybe we need to start sanctioning more residency programs for poor training. I didn't feel this test was representative of ability to actually practice medicine at all, despite what Dr. Garrison would have you believe. It's just a money grab and by failing ~10% of test takers that's a nice additional payday this time next year. I'd love to see whoever managed to get ride of Step 2 CS take on this.

Reactions: 4 users
Results came out today. Looks like 10.4% of people failed as well. If anyone is interested can see all the stats here: ABPMR - Exam Statistics

Did exceptionally well on my written boards, but failed on the interpersonal and communication domain. In hindsight, I would have done a lot more mock exams. Even after finishing, I knew I didn't hit a perfect score or anything, but I didn't think I failed either. Such a strange exam. Now I have my speciality boards coming up which I'm no longer a candidate for and the ABPMR only offers the exam once yearly. This feels like a major barrier for us by not offering more exam dates and having to put everything on hold - and for what exactly?

Anyone else with me here? Can anyone talk from prior experience and how this affected them as they start going into practice? Is an appeal worth it? What checkboxes do I really need to hit to pass on my interpersonal skills?
It's a strange exam also because there's still no real good prep material for it. You have the Mayer book but it's overkill with the amount of cases in it and a lot of times the answers they have do not match the actual format of the test. I would recommend using the PMR Recap oral boards cases the next time you study for this. They manage to simplify the test and tell you exactly what the examiners are looking for, especially for the interpersonal and communication domains.

And yes, this "test" needs to go. Unrealistic and a waste of everyone's time and money IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)

This test is a waste of time and money. As others have pointed out, it's a useless money grab. I don't think as Physiatrists we have done enough to try to get rid of it.
I passed my first try, but it was so beyond useless. Frequently it's unclear in my opinion what they examiners are looking for, sometimes they don't even know enough about the subject matter themselves, sometimes the answers they want are not necessarily reasonable, etc.
No one should fail.
It should be done away with.
We should have a petition to get rid of it.
At least it's online (I think?) as opposed to going to Mayo and spending more time and money to simply waste time and days to take this useless exam. Don't think it will have any effect on your career except for delaying your board certification which is a bummer and obviously your subspecialty. Not to mention handing out another $2k which blows as well.

Reactions: 5 users
I also failed, very frustrating as I put in significant effort and time studying for the exam. My practice partner passed, went through the entire review book more than once. Took notes etc. I honestly stand pretty firmly that there is nothing I could have done differently- other than take a method acting class. Never have come close to failing a board exam. Very upsetting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Agree. Test was a waste of money and time. Zero benefit. I passed, but it was so vague I felt I had failed.

We had to go all the way to Rochester when I took it. I understand it's remote now.

I never understand why they couldn't hold the test Chicago, which is much more central/easy to get to for the majority of practicing physicians, and the Board could just fly/drive there as well (though most of the people administering the tests are attendings who are flying in and as inconvenienced as we were). Even Minneapolis would've made a meaningful difference.

At least that part is moot now.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry OP, the test is honestly stupid and doesn't capture how you are as a physician in the slightest -- just how you are at taking an oral exam in a contrived virtual environment.

also, I don't understand why it needs to cost near $2,000 when the exam itself is virtual (no need to rent space $$), and the examiners are volunteers (no need to pay employees $$). I feel like for those who failed, they should not have to pay again -- that's a second dagger through the heart.

I feel as though a resident who's graduated a PM&R residency should have been already assessed and validated for the specific qualities the examination is meant to filter. It is so ass backwards.

Last edited:

I also failed part II while scoring greater than average on part I. Admittedly I didn’t study much for part II. However, why should have I? I completed rigorous training in residency and am doing very well as a general physiatrist attending physician. Why would I even retake the test and become board certified? Do I even care about ABPMR? The exam was a joke - no relevance to practicing medicine. Additionally, the mid-levels who are working with me, one of which is highly incompetent do not have ANY board certification in physiatry and are creeping their way into the field. Why not focus on preventing mid-level scope creep and making them take part I. WAKE UP ABPMR!!!

I also heard that those examiners do not even get paid and they do them voluntarily. Why would you volunteer to fail people? Why would you volunteer for abpmr while all of those guys are paying dues to abpmr.

But I thank abpmr for being easier on maintaining board certification. I just finished quality improvement project. Tbh I made shxx up and finished it in 15 mins and the abpmr approved it during this memorial wknd. It took 24 hours to be approved.

I thank abpmr inconsistency

I'm so appreciative of all this feedback from everyone. Really beat myself up about this today even though I know it's a manufactured setting and not truly representative of the skillset I have to help my patients. Can't help but feel frustrated in this situation.

To update on some information I got today:
- ABPMR gave a refund for my specialty boards, minus $600 "processing fee"
- Was told the appeal cost $250 and nobody ever gets a reversal from fail -> pass
- They also said they won't offer anything more than once yearly exams because it takes them a full year to get everyone prepared to administer the test over 4 days, and even then it's a lot for them
- Will talk to someone at ABPMR to give some more insight on the scoring system. We'll see what they say..
- My employer couldn't care less about the situation. As long as I'm board eligible, all is good.

Overall, it's a financial loss and an inconvenience, but there are worse things in life.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. Test was a waste of money and time. Zero benefit. I passed, but it was so vague I felt I had failed.

We had to go all the way to Rochester when I took it. I understand it's remote now.

I never understand why they couldn't hold the test Chicago, which is much more central/easy to get to for the majority of practicing physicians, and the Board could just fly/drive there as well (though most of the people administering the tests are attendings who are flying in and as inconvenienced as we were). Even Minneapolis would've made a meaningful difference.

At least that part is moot now.

Apparently it's my understanding that the oral board examiners don't get paid so no sure where the money is actually in going. But i assume the examiners dont want to pay out of pocket to come to Chicago.

I'm so appreciative of all this feedback from everyone. Really beat myself up about this today even though I know it's a manufactured setting and not truly representative of the skillset I have to help my patients. Can't help but feel frustrated in this situation.

- Was told the appeal cost $250 and nobody ever gets a reversal from fail -> pass
- They also said they won't offer anything more than once yearly exams because it takes them a full year to get everyone prepared to administer the test over 4 days, and even then it's a lot for them
- Will talk to someone at ABPMR to give some more insight on the scoring system. We'll see what they say..
- My employer couldn't care less about the situation. As long as I'm board eligible, all is good.

Overall, it's a financial loss and an inconvenience, but there are worse things in life.

It's really inappropriate in my opnion that they would take $600 for processing - why does it take so much to process anything?
I don't think we even get an annual budge of how our fees are being used - am I wrong on this?

Sorry you have to go through this. Irks me to no end seeing a board organization take advantage of trainees (who are already strapped for cash) and kick them again while their down. If any of y'all are reading this, have you forgotten what its like to be a trainee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently it's my understanding that the oral board examiners don't get paid so no sure where the money is actually in going. But i assume the examiners dont want to pay out of pocket to come to Chicago.
Most (?all) of the examiners are reimbursed for travel. I don't know what percent of the board examiners are from Rochester (Mayo only has so many attending physiatrists), but I saw quite a few staff I knew personally who were attendings/program directors at programs across the country.

I'm sure there was a good reason the boards were in Rochester. But I think there was still almost certainly a more compelling to hold it in a more central location like Chicago. Or Denver/St. Louis. As with many things, it probably came down to politics.

Politics is probably why oral boards are still required despite most specialties getting rid of them. I still can't believe Step II CS was actually cancelled--that was arguably far more useless of an exam (for any American medical student at least). If your med school can't certify that you're competent enough to be in the room and speak to a patient/perform a basic exam/history, then they really have no business being a medical school. We had what, 100 OSCEs anyway?

Most (?all) of the examiners are reimbursed for travel. I don't know what percent of the board examiners are from Rochester (Mayo only has so many attending physiatrists), but I saw quite a few staff I knew personally who were attendings/program directors at programs across the country.

I'm sure there was a good reason the boards were in Rochester. But I think there was still almost certainly a more compelling to hold it in a more central location like Chicago. Or Denver/St. Louis. As with many things, it probably came down to politics.

Politics is probably why oral boards are still required despite most specialties getting rid of them. I still can't believe Step II CS was actually cancelled--that was arguably far more useless of an exam (for any American medical student at least). If your med school can't certify that you're competent enough to be in the room and speak to a patient/perform a basic exam/history, then they really have no business being a medical school. We had what, 100 OSCEs anyway?

Oral boards are virtually now.

Agreed! Perhaps it should be a requirement to pass an oral exam in residency who knows? But paying 2k for this useless exam needs to go.
If someone graduates residency that should be more than enough to certify them as being competent to be out on their own

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you have to pass all of the domains in order to pass the oral boards or is it based on the total score?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you have to pass all of the domains in order to pass the oral boards or is it based on the total score?
Minimum total score cut off, which is not an average of all the domains apparently, per the score report -- so this suggests domains are weighted differently.

This is like an annual post about the board exam. Once you pass it, you forget about it very quickly.

The purpose of the exam is to feed the man. Yes it is nearly pointless. Except for those who want to say we are a greater specialty because we have oral boards. Which, if I remember my exam, I was an ER doctor most of the time in the vignettes.

Not to pile on too much but its always bothered me that all the non surgical boards seemed to have eliminate oral exam but not ours. I'm not going to pretend I know everything, but I cant think of a situation in PM&R when we are under high stress emergency situation needing to come up with an answer in seconds. I feel this is the only thing oral boards test. In the real world in my experience we have the time to work out and research a diagnosis and treatment if we dont immediately know the answer without any threat or harm to our patients.

It's a strange exam also because there's still no real good prep material for it. You have the Mayer book but it's overkill with the amount of cases in it and a lot of times the answers they have do not match the actual format of the test. I would recommend using the PMR Recap oral boards cases the next time you study for this. They manage to simplify the test and tell you exactly what the examiners are looking for, especially for the interpersonal and communication domains.

And yes, this "test" needs to go. Unrealistic and a waste of everyone's time and money IMO.
I think i put this in a thread a while back asking for resources but I also found the pmr recap study stuff to be pretty good but also must emphasize that it is VERY important to practice with someone, even if they are not pmr. A friend, spouse, relative, etc. anyone that can actually ask you questions and simulate the environment. Have them record you and play it back. Its quite amazing what you think you look like and sound like in your head compared to what the video may show. Its that old saying of practice like you play.

I also failed. I did the best on interpersonal communication and patient management but failed in Data Acq. I did Ok on all the other parts but basically failed the first section which is weird. I asked all relevant and non relevant questions.
-I dont care if appeal doesnt result on Fail-->Pass theres a first time for everything.
- I also want to appeal so i can understand just what happened. How can you treat a patient without proper data
- Lastly this exam does NOT reflect the standard of practice and is purely a rite of passage.
-If my system of processing isn't your system of processing that doesn't mean we are failures as physicians

I wish that ABPMR just charged an extra $2000 for our written boards and called it a day

I also failed. I did the best on interpersonal communication and patient management but failed in Data Acq. I did Ok on all the other parts but basically failed the first section which is weird. I asked all relevant and non relevant questions.
-I dont care if appeal doesnt result on Fail-->Pass theres a first time for everything.
- I also want to appeal so i can understand just what happened. How can you treat a patient without proper data
- Lastly this exam does NOT reflect the standard of practice and is purely a rite of passage.
-If my system of processing isn't your system of processing that doesn't mean we are failures as physicians
They don’t tell you how it is scored and state it’s a valid test without being transparent on any data to support this claim. Makes you wonder if it’s purely subjective and based on whether your colleagues (examiners) like you or not.

I agree - different people practice differently and outside of grossly going out of standard of care for certain things there are no right or wrong on a number of things. I feel a lot of questions were subjective and actually not medical - I have numerous partners at my current gig and we all do things a little different. I don’t think my approach is better than theirs and I think they are all competent doctors as am i
Wanting one specific answer seems absurd and I think at times some of what the examiners were wanting in an answer did not seem to meet practice standards.
How didthey get rid of step 2cs? Maybe that’s the approach to take
I also find it shady that they don’t disclose how this is scored

They don’t tell you how it is scored and state it’s a valid test without being transparent on any data to support this claim. Makes you wonder if it’s purely subjective and based on whether your colleagues (examiners) like you or not.
I believe it is very subjective and chock full of bias.

I believe it is very subjective and chock full of bias.
I’ve been told by a PM&R physician who’s friend volunteered as a proctor. He said the 4 proctors meet immediately afterward and ask each other “should we pass them or no?”

I’ve been told by a PM&R physician who’s friend volunteered as a proctor. He said the 4 proctors meet immediately afterward and ask each other “should we pass them or no?”

Sounds like a lot of room for racisms and implicit bias if you ask me.

Sorry you're going through this.
Like, everyone has said, this test:
1. Is stupid and doesn't measure anything worth a damn.
2. Doesn't actually matter for your professional development/advancement. It sucks but having failed it the first time shouldn't derail you from doing anything you were going to do.
3. Ought to be done away with. They should just charge $3K for the written boards and call it a day. That way, ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷v̷a̷m̷p̷i̷r̷e̷s̷ ̷c̷a̷n̷ ̷b̷l̷e̷e̷d̷ ̷u̷s̷ ̷d̷r̷y̷ ̷t̷o̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷s̷a̷m̷e̷ ̷t̷u̷n̷e̷ this eminent organization can get money it evidently deserves, which is the whole point of these oral boards anyway.

Examiner: “Now pretend that you are a pulmonologist from the Horsehead Nebula. Your patient is an orca whale from the moon. He has pulmonary incompatibilities to earth’s oxygen-rich atmosphere, and is experiencing separation anxiety after being enslaved by your communist humanoid civilization. Counsel the patient on interstellar resources available to assist with his transition.”

Me (with a super empathetic and slightly concerned facial expression): “Goodness, I’m sorry to hear about your challenges. I empathize the crap out of your situation. It must be very difficult being separating from your family on a foreign land. Fortunately, the horsehead nebula has excellent resources to help you. First, I would do a medical evaluation including CBC, CXR, PFT, and ABG. Then I’d consider a Bronchoscopy…because Pulmonologist do that a lot. I recommend an outpatient cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program to help your lungs adapt to the Earth’s atmosphere. Next I will refer you to mental health resources for your adjustment disorder.

[examiner stoically and blankly stares at me]

Me: Ehh, oh and I would consult social work for them to assist with your challenging living situation.

Me: Call the intergalactic chaplain?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Examiner: “Now pretend that you are a pulmonologist from the Horsehead Nebula. Your patient is an orca whale from the moon. He has pulmonary incompatibilities to earth’s oxygen-rich atmosphere, and is experiencing separation anxiety after being enslaved by your communist humanoid civilization. Counsel the patient on interstellar resources available to assist with his transition.”

Me (with a super empathetic and slightly concerned facial expression): “Goodness, I’m sorry to hear about your challenges. I empathize the crap out of your situation. It must be very difficult being separating from your family on a foreign land. Fortunately, the horsehead nebula has excellent resources to help you. First, I would do a medical evaluation including CBC, CXR, PFT, and ABG. Then I’d consider a Bronchoscopy…because Pulmonologist do that a lot. I recommend an outpatient cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program to help your lungs adapt to the Earth’s atmosphere. Next I will refer you to mental health resources for your adjustment disorder.

Me: Ehh, oh and I would consult social work for them to assist with your challenging living situation.

Lol. Pretty much sums it up.

Lol this is hilarious but sums it up. May I recommend you send this to the board? Lol. Too funny man.

Dude, I don't care if you're married. I want to marry you. What are you doing next Thursday?

Hopefully I don’t get in trouble for sharing the ABPMR case above…I know they like to hold their prized cases close to their vest (I kid, of course).

It’s super important for us to demonstrate our ability to be competent orca pulmonologists. The integrity and success of our profession depends on it.

Last edited:
Hopefully I don’t get in trouble for sharing the ABPMR case above…I know they like to hold their prized cases close to their vest (I kid, of course).

It’s super important for us to demonstrate our ability to be competent orca pulmonologists. The integrity and success of our profession depends on it.

I can hear my residency attending's voice now... "RangerBob, that's not the correct way to do a sural sensory study on an Orca. You have the electrodes swapped. Also, the Orca's sural nerve is over their dorsal fin, not their fluke."

Sorry to hear that you failed. It's such a tough feeling. Speaking as someone who failed Step 2 CS, failing a test that pretty much every passes makes you feel real dumb. But trust that there is light on the other side if you just continue doing what you've done to be great so far (you said you did well on your written boards so I'm assuming you're a competent physiatrist).

This is also a reminder to anyone reading this that the Part II oral boards are more of a test of how many mock exams you've done than how good of a physiatrist you are. The majority of people I know who failed Part II did not prepare appropriately with mock exams. Don't assume that because you are a good physiatrist you will also be a good test taker of Part II. Think of Part II as an entirely separate test that is testing your ability to regurgitate relatively useless information and give canned responses for moral/ethical scenarios.

"Neurology has already eliminated the oral component from its certification exam, as have many other specialties.
Elimination of the oral exam is part of a movement toward testing of“ core competencies” within residency training programs."
This was in 2009.
The ABPMR Oral board is an absolute waste of time and resources and purely a money grab.

Reactions: 3 users
"Neurology has already eliminated the oral component from its certification exam, as have many other specialties.
Elimination of the oral exam is part of a movement toward testing of“ core competencies” within residency training programs."
This was in 2009.
The ABPMR Oral board is an absolute waste of time and resources and purely a money grab.
My QI project should be on the usefulness of the oral boards! Lol.
Seriously though we should have a petition to get this removed - it also increases costs unnecessarily - they have staff on the board who I think just work to get this test done which is absurd

Sorry to hear that you failed. It's such a tough feeling. Speaking as someone who failed Step 2 CS, failing a test that pretty much every passes makes you feel real dumb. But trust that there is light on the other side if you just continue doing what you've done to be great so far (you said you did well on your written boards so I'm assuming you're a competent physiatrist).

This is also a reminder to anyone reading this that the Part II oral boards are more of a test of how many mock exams you've done than how good of a physiatrist you are. The majority of people I know who failed Part II did not prepare appropriately with mock exams. Don't assume that because you are a good physiatrist you will also be a good test taker of Part II. Think of Part II as an entirely separate test that is testing your ability to regurgitate relatively useless information and give canned responses for moral/ethical scenarios.
To piggy back off this, I have noticed in this thread that people that did fail, had different strengths when they posted. I'd suggest message each other and set up a group. Do it now while its fresh in your heads and set up group meeting to practice. With zoom/skype/facetime etc can practice. Can start slowly and meet more as it is getting closer but key is doing it. I remember at our residency the former program director set up the group practice sessions with all the people taking the test.