failed orgo twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted613943

I just learned that I failed orgo I twice. Literally failed. I'm not sure if I should take it at a community college again or attempt to get permission from the biology chair and chemistry chair to take the class a third time. If I take it a third time, my gpa gets replaced with the highest mark. My cumulative gpa is 2.7. I've done quite well in my other prereqs (considering applying for med school or optometry school). Orgo is really the only black mark on my record. Do I still have a chance? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it again at the same institution, because taking it at a community college will have both of them factor into your GPA when you apply to schools. However, your GPA may be a bigger block to admissions than just the orgo class. It can be tough to get interviews with a GPA lower than 3.0. Definitely possible - especially if the lowest grades came from non-science courses or were early in your college career with marked improvement later. Also, optometry school has been excessively more challenging than any pre-reqs that I took. So I would keep that in mind...because it only gets harder! Do you feel like you are just burnt out? In which case some time off (graduate with your bachelors, but then retake prereq courses at a later date) with work experience might help rejuvenate your school mindset? If you just feel like the concepts are too hard, then I would seek a lot of outside resources before you retake that class. Study the concepts on your own schedule from resources like Khan Academy, textbooks, etc. Get as much of a foundation as you can, then retake the course when it's easier to handle the pace since you have a stronger foundation. If that's the case, you will need to be ready to study much harder than all your classmates in grad school and know how to seek out those outside resources to keep up. It can be done, but it'd be very very challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
I just learned that I failed orgo I twice. Literally failed. I'm not sure if I should take it at a community college again or attempt to get permission from the biology chair and chemistry chair to take the class a third time. If I take it a third time, my gpa gets replaced with the highest mark. My cumulative gpa is 2.7. I've done quite well in my other prereqs (considering applying for med school or optometry school). Orgo is really the only black mark on my record. Do I still have a chance? What should I do?
You do realize that in optometry school there will be 20+ courses more difficult than undergrad organic chem?
If your GPA is 2.7, you HAVEN'T done quite well in your other courses.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
iiii, that is a bit harsh...

What you need is a supplementary source of learning. Try youtube or just simply, google. Also, see if you can acquire this textbook, Organic Chemistry by Paula Y Bruice. I'm not advertising but my professor has gone through over 20 textbooks during teaching and s/he said it was the best one so far.

Retake it the third time with confidence. Remember, you're three times more knowledgeable and wiser than the first time around. Also, understand them electron arrows rather than memorize << That is the secret or organic chemistry. You'll eventually figure out that there are these rules you can always follow that have no exceptions are the introductory level.

let's not call it "orgo" please :rolleyes:

Yup, it's O Chem in my book as well. Never heard of "Orgo" until I talked to others in Optometry school.

Update: got a B+ retaking the course and overall gpa is currently 3.1. Trying to stay positive and work hard. Not sure of my chances now. Top choice has been SUNY for a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: got a B+ retaking the course and overall gpa is currently 3.1. Trying to stay positive and work hard. Not sure of my chances now. Top choice has been SUNY for a couple of years.

Good. Keep track of *WHY* you screwed it up the first two times.

My unsolicited advice: Get AHEAD of the material
Remember: Repetition causes learning!!