Failed out of pharmacy school one year before graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't the diploma RN being phased out, with the BSN being the default RN degree within a few years?

Chances are, the OP has enough, or nearly enough, general ed credits to cobble together a bachelor's degree of some kind, should s/he transfer to another school for a liberal arts degree.
No. They're gonna get rid of the LPN first.

Members don't see this ad.

Hospitals are getting rid of LPNs. They'll always be needed to work in nursing homes, clinics, and other environments where an RN isn't needed.

If you don't know, LPNs cannot give blood transfusions, take verbal orders from a doctor over the telephone, tell a doctor what they think is wrong with a patient while relaying symptoms, or start IVs unless they are specially certified.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to have a BSN before becoming a CRNA or NP.

BSN is 4 years max and 2-3 years critical care exp + 2 years CRNA school and you're making 150-180k...so 8 years total? Isn't that what many pharmacy grads are doing now with PGY1 and PGY2 only to find that there are few "clinical" positions and having to settle for hybrid positions with pay that is much lower than CRNA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals are getting rid of LPNs. They'll always be needed to work in nursing homes, clinics, and other environments where an RN isn't needed.

If you don't know, LPNs cannot give blood transfusions, take verbal orders from a doctor over the telephone, tell a doctor what they think is wrong with a patient while relaying symptoms, or start IVs unless they are specially certified.

I guess that's the only point of an LPN these days, huh? No major hospital that I've seen will employee them, and I can't imagine someone doing a BSN just to work in a nursing home. I was wondering why they even have LPN programs anymore, but that seems to be the reason.

Nursing homes still need to have an RN on duty at all times in case a doctor needs to call in orders. In addition, I found out that school nurses have to be RNs, and often BSNs with additional certification, and asked why on a nursing forum. They told me that school nurses may have to take telephone orders from a doctor, and nowadays with kids being mainstreamed may have to do procedures an LPN could not, like start an IV for a hemophiliac student.

One of my classmates who was dismissed P3 yr is now getting a bachelors in something like public health or public health administration. Her plan is to work for a non-profit or get a govt job and do income-based repayment with 10 yr and loan forgiveness.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
work isn't always interesting

So true, if work were *that* interesting, we'd be calling it a hobby and doing it for free.

Isn't the diploma RN being phased out, with the BSN being the default RN degree within a few years?

I don't see that ever happening, because the nursing union/groups/leaders don't want that to happen.However,
hospitals started phasing out non-BSN's in the 90's, hospitals don't hire non-BSN's (some of them may still employ LPN's who who were hired before they quit hiring them in the 90's, but the hospitals I've worked for, they offered a tuition reimbursement and pretty much required all LPN's to get a BSN by a certain date or be fired.) So, while I don't think the LPN will ever be completely phased out, job opportunities for LPN's are extremely limited.

So true, if work were *that* interesting, we'd be calling it a hobby and doing it for free.

I don't see that ever happening, because the nursing union/groups/leaders don't want that to happen.However,
hospitals started phasing out non-BSN's in the 90's, hospitals don't hire non-BSN's (some of them may still employ LPN's who who were hired before they quit hiring them in the 90's, but the hospitals I've worked for, they offered a tuition reimbursement and pretty much required all LPN's to get a BSN by a certain date or be fired.) So, while I don't think the LPN will ever be completely phased out, job opportunities for LPN's are extremely limited.

Do you mean RN, not necessarily BSN?

I first encountered a hospital LPN phase-out in the late 1990s; in this case, that didn't last very long. In this case, the LPNs were re-titled "patient care technicians" (they also hired MAs for this) which was sort of an intermediate title between CNA and nurse. Some hospitals still hire, or at least employ, LPNs in places where people are usually not acutely ill, like rehab, skilled nursing, psych, and OB.

The hospital I'm thinking of realized that they did need their LPNs, although in this case, I think it was more of a staffing and hiring issue; they simply didn't have enough RNs applying for jobs.

PA school isn't a "second choice" and isn't for med school rejects. It stands as its own medical profession and crams 4 years of med school into 2.5-3 years of education.

Neither is a DO program; many people who don't get into med school (or realize they really don't want to be a doctor after all) end up in pharmacy school, BUT those schools have no use for someone who flunked out of a program, ANY program.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mean RN, not necessarily BSN?

Yes, you are correct, I mean hospital's have phased out LPN's, requiring RN's. I think most hospitals encourage and prefer BSN's, but it is not a requirement.