Failed peds boards/board ineligible. Need Help on Supervised Physician Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pendulum2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, after several failed attempts at the pediatric board exam, I have only 1 more year to certify before my eligibility period ends. I, of course, will study extra hard for my final attempt in 2021. However, I like planning ahead and wanted to ask of anyone knows how to go about setting up the 6 months of direct physician supervision in order to become eligible again for certification. The ABP office was not extremely helpful.
Do I just go around asking residency programs if they have spots? Unfortunately, I am no where near where I trained for residency so I cannot go back there and ask (plus I cannot move far with 2 little kids now). What about malpractice, billing. Etc? Am I responsible for that. I am unable to dish out a lot of cash for such things (again with kids, loans, house, etc.) I am in NYC and practice ina general pediatrics private office. If anyone has any advice, experience, contacts of someone who did this, or any leads into positions (close to NY/NJ) I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, after several failed attempts at the pediatric board exam, I have only 1 more year to certify before my eligibility period ends. I, of course, will study extra hard for my final attempt in 2021. However, I like planning ahead and wanted to ask of anyone knows how to go about setting up the 6 months of direct physician supervision in order to become eligible again for certification. The ABP office was not extremely helpful.
Do I just go around asking residency programs if they have spots? Unfortunately, I am no where near where I trained for residency so I cannot go back there and ask (plus I cannot move far with 2 little kids now). What about malpractice, billing. Etc? Am I responsible for that. I am unable to dish out a lot of cash for such things (again with kids, loans, house, etc.) I am in NYC and practice ina general pediatrics private office. If anyone has any advice, experience, contacts of someone who did this, or any leads into positions (close to NY/NJ) I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you guys!
What does the practice you work for say? Unless it was part of your contract, they may like you enough to not care, since it is typically costs more to fire and hire a person if they spot is already adequately filled. You can still see patients even if you aren’t board certified (like you’ve been doing).

I don’t know what it requires but you could reach out to whoever is the PD of your local residency program too or the current PD of your prior institution since they actually have investment in you passing from an accreditation standpoint. I bet they have more insight into what the specific ABP requirements are or at least could get you more information. Based on other ABP requirements, bet you the process is more of a formality and rubber stamp than something super onerous, but that’s just a guess.

Last edited:
Maybe this previous thread will help?

Last edited: