How hard is it too get into a program in the Northwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted444768

AMG. I'm looking into NW states like Washington, Idaho, Montana, etc. Rural is fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Too vague of a question. Depends on the rest of the package. Does it rule out that region? Not at all. How hard is it? That depends on the whole rest of who you are and what you've done.

AMG. I'm looking into NW states like Washington, Idaho, Montana, etc. Rural is fine.

-I am currrently appllying for residency this year.
-Realistically, step 1 failure eliminates about 200-250 of the 500 or so programs available (pretty much all high tier and most mid-tier programs - exceptions if you rotated there etc.)
-I would say Step 2 CS failure seems to be the most improtant (there are quite a few schools I applied to that allow step 1 failure but refuse STep 2 CS failures)

-Your chances depends on how well you scored on re-take, step 2 CS/Ck, M3 clinical grades/comments, LORs etc.
-Ask this question again when you are M4 applying for residency - when you have a clearer picture of your overall application

-I did not appply to Northwest but you still have a chance - just that it is reduced. I glanced at one program in Washington state and it said they wanted your retake to be at least 85-90 (2 digit score) after the re-take.

Also the IMGs are slowly increasing their relevance for match- I am currently working with a bunch of IMGs from the carribean and the attending was telling me he pretty much views students from this particular carribean school as mostly equal to US students. I am getting the feeling that just because you are AMG it doesn't give you the same massive advantage compared to say 10 years ago. Anyways that's just my 2 cents. Also the way that some carribena schools have established deep roots in alot of NJ and NY programs for rotations, sub-Is, residents and even the administration it seems that AMGs might be the odd one out in the near future (for these programs)?

Lastly the rural programs I have looked at all seem to be much more challenging than non-rural programs you are expected to do everything - the entire spectrum. Rural programs are also alot smaller, often unopposed, and seem to require you to be proficient at procedures.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lastly the rural programs I have looked at all seem to be much more challenging than non-rural programs you are expected to do everything - the entire spectrum. Rural programs are also alot smaller, often opposed, and seem to require you to be proficient at procedures.

Rural programs are more likely to be opposed? That's the opposite of what one would assume.

Rural programs are more likely to be opposed? That's the opposite of what one would assume.
my mistake...edited

aLSO one tidbit - was talking to our school's FM program director and if a program has lissted under its requirements as "prefer passing on 1st attempt" and you have a failure that means you have close to zero chance of an interview (excpetions - did a rotaiton there, went to school there etc.)

Last edited: