How much commute is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Splenda88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a hospitalist offer (7 days on/off) about 1 hr away from where I own a house that is almost paid off. The offer is in a major city but the house is in a nice suburb 1 hr outside of that major city. The house is in a good school district, so I won't have to worry about sending my kids to private school. I used to live there prior going to med school. Compensation is not great 250k/yr (+/-10k) but there is no state income tax. My issue is that I will be commuting 1 hr each way (total 2 hrs) and I am worried about that.

I also have another offer in a small city In the state I am doing residency now. The offer is better 315k/yr (but there is state income tax). That small city has horrible public school, so I would have to send my kids to private school (cost might be 30k). Also, I won't have to commute for 2 hrs/daily.

Both jobs are similar in term of patient load and benefits except 401k of job number 2 is better.

I am tempted to take job1 hoping I will find something closer to my house after a year since it's the place I would like to end up in.

What do you guys/gals think?

@VA Hopeful Dr @Blue Dog

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$250 not great? Dayum, are other offers averaging much higher?

$250 not great? Dayum, are other offers averaging much higher?
I have seen some good offers. For instance, one of my co-residents got 160k/yr + all benefits (W2 job) for 7 days per month

I am also after one right now (7 on/off) that pays 331k/yr with a low average census (16-18 patients). These jobs are out there but they are hard to find.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would never commute that much every day. You will be too tired because a 12 hr shift never end at 12 hours. If it was me. I would get an efficiency apartment where the job is. Do my week. Leave the kids at the good school in their house. No different than doing locums.

Reactions: 2 users
Even 30 min commute after a 12 hr shift is exhausting. I've fallen asleep driving even with 20 min commute after 14 hr night shifts. It's not safe and not worth the stress.

Reactions: 3 users
I commuted 50 min a day for my first year and it was though. How far is job number 2 from your home? Could you do what cabinbuilder said but for job #2 as well? 75k extra a year goes a long way, and don't underestimate the better 401k as well it adds up quick and can shelter some of that state tax.
When I did my commute granted it was different than you week on week off (5 days a week) I did not think of wear and tear to my car. (Gas/Tires/Miles/Safety).

I commuted 50 min a day for my first year and it was though. How far is job number 2 from your home? Could you do what cabinbuilder said but for job #2 as well? 75k extra a year goes a long way, and don't underestimate the better 401k as well it adds up quick and can shelter some of that state tax.
When I did my commute granted it was different than you week on week off (5 days a week) I did not think of wear and tear to my car. (Gas/Tires/Miles/Safety).
I have not decided where I would live for job #2, but I think the commute will be <30 mins.

I am waiting for another offer, and if it comes in, I will take and move on.

I have a hospitalist offer (7 days on/off) about 1 hr away from where I own a house that is almost paid off. The offer is in a major city but the house is in a nice suburb 1 hr outside of that major city. The house is in a good school district, so I won't have to worry about sending my kids to private school. I used to live there prior going to med school. Compensation is not great 250k/yr (+/-10k) but there is no state income tax. My issue is that I will be commuting 1 hr each way (total 2 hrs) and I am worried about that.

I also have another offer in a small city In the state I am doing residency now. The offer is better 315k/yr (but there is state income tax). That small city has horrible public school, so I would have to send my kids to private school (cost might be 30k). Also, I won't have to commute for 2 hrs/daily.

Both jobs are similar in term of patient load and benefits except 401k of job number 2 is better.

I am tempted to take job1 hoping I will find something closer to my house after a year since it's the place I would like to end up in.

What do you guys/gals think?

@VA Hopeful Dr @Blue Dog
I commute 1hr each day. It’s not bad, good time to listen to music/ unwind from the day

Reactions: 1 users