Failed to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed to match this year and was told by a Family Physician that a good option is to enter the military and get into a residency that way, but it seems to be contradicted by the information I've been able to find. How exactly would I go about this and are there any restrictions as far as age?

Members don't see this ad.

I failed to match this year and was told by a Family Physician that a good option is to enter the military and get into a residency that way, but it seems to be contradicted by the information I've been able to find. How exactly would I go about this and are there any restrictions as far as age?

Hey buddy, you're not gonna get a lot of love on this forum. Military medicine is not meant for rejects. Maybe you should do a little self- searching to figure out why you couldn't match into the easiest specialty out there. We (military) don't want people like you. Sorry but true.

Reactions: 1 users
I figured as much and my research into that seemed to confirm that, but I just wanted to make sure since this was an attending that gave me this advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of anyone doing this before. You're free to check out the Army medical education website and make the appropriate calls if you're really interested: http://www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation/

We've already had our match but you can give them a call to see if there are any openings and if it's possible to fill an available slot. And please try to understand what you'd be getting into, if this sort of miracle happens for you.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about it, all the PGY-1 spots are generally filled. You'll probably have to sit out a year, make yourself more competitive and apply again in the civilian match.

Military docs run the gamut from crap to sterling, just like they do on the outside. Considering most people sign on the line before they actually enter med school, there isn't a large selection bias for crap docs to enter the military. You can argue all you want as to whether military residencies are good or bad, and whether the military turns out good docs after residency, but what you're suggesting is that people who do poorly in med school enter the military. By the time you're screwing up, you're usually already either in the military or not, and there isn't much of a benefit to joining as a result to poor performance.

It is a circuitous and onerous route to try to get a military residency from your vantage point. First, the military match is in mid December. Secondly you will not be able to join the military as direct commission unless you have finished at the minimum an internship year and have an unrestricted medical license. After you get an internship and a medical license they could accept you into the military and then it would be up to you to try to join a residency as a PGY-2 (outside of the military match). If this doesn't occur, then the military will use you as a general medical officer (think lots of deployments and other unenviable administrative tasks stateside). After two years of this you would be able to reapply in the military for a residency spot.

You are better off just trying to scramble (if any spots left) into any open civilian categorical or transitional spots or reapplying next year on the civilian side. It would be much easier that way.

You probably should inform said attending that this is poor advice. The military match is actually pretty competative. You have all HPSP students and UHSUS students competing for spots. Although some sites will take civilians or direct assessions, these are few and far between.

I think that you are going to be out of luck. But I suppose it would hurt to to to an Army and Navy medical recruiter to check out your options. USAF is very competitive, so I wouldn't bother. At worst they tell you tough luck.

Problem is the match is rigged

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

Actually the military match is probably more objective and unbiased beyond published application factors than the regular match. It has some room for subjectivity, but it is much less than the whims of a single secretary of a program who does the initial screening of your application in the civilian world.

Actually the military match is probably more objective and unbiased beyond published application factors than the regular match. It has some room for subjectivity, but it is much less than the whims of a single secretary of a program who does the initial screening of your application in the civilian world.
That's your personal opinion

That's your personal opinion

It's also my opinion. The opportunities in your desired specialty might be limited but whatever spots exist will be distributed via a pretty darn rigorous process. It can't be perfect but it's one thing the military does well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look man, just spit it out already. You post cryptic "everything is rigged" comments in the milmed forums, then make references to a legal situation involving the Army while you're over in Allo.

You joined in 2007 but have 41 posts, so clearly this board isn't a regular thing for you. Just quit the bull**** games and either vent about your story, or shut up and go away.
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.
The last time I checked this was a forum

I have to quote this so you can't go back later and edit the post as your very next post is quoting this one and saying Tired needs to grow up.

So you post something, quote it on another post, and try to attribute it to someone else.

Not much more needs to be said....

I have to quote this so you can't go back later and edit the post as your very next post is quoting this one and saying Tired needs to grow up.

So you post something, quote it on another post, and try to attribute it to someone else.

Your point?

Figures. First I tell you not to feed the troll, then I have a few beers and make the exact same mistake. I'm so dumb.

Do you ever feel like you need to cut back on drinking and posting? Do people ever feel annoyed by your drinking and posting? Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking and posting? Do you need an eye opener before you post?

Reactions: 1 user

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

i tnd to agree with everyone else. i've been involved with multiple matches, selection meetings, interviews, etc and have found the process to be pretty legit. there are some attempts to game the system by applicants, but the process is so (for the most part) transparent that there are rarely any "wtf" match moments. i think sometimes there are some manipulations behind the scenes to balance out the distribution of strong applicants in years where a program may be getting all the bottom feeders (so to speak) but all in all it's probably more predictable than the civilian side.

if you have a story, by all means tell it somehow. there are a lot of people here with experience in these matters and we may be able to clear up or help you understand what may have happened from a different point of view. otherwise you just sound like a disgruntled person with an axe to grind and a predilection toward conspiracy theories.

--your friendly neighborhood chemtrails are poisoning us caveman

I agree with the developing consensus. As much of a poo-pooer as I am, I saw no bias in the military match. Unless, of course, you mean that we tended to put applicants with untenable scores or ****e personalities at the bottom. Because if you mean that, then yes it was rigged. Just like every other match in the US. I'm sure there's a program out there that does some shady stuff, but I never saw it personally and I was involved in a few match processes.

I'll be the first to admit that I have levelled some accusations at milmed, but I'm always willing to provide at least anectodal examples. Gun-and-run just makes criticizers look like @$$holes with no leverage.

Your point?

I think he/she is trying to get us to play the troll toll.
Unknown.jpeg

The one thing that seems odd about mil match is that more people seem to come out disappointed/unmatched than on the civilian side. Do mil PDs usually give honest feedback about an individual's chance at matching in something fairly competitive? And then they apply to ortho anyway?

When you've got almost 2:1 applicant ratios in some specialties, it seems like some straight talk could help limit the sour grapes. Doesn't seem like the program offices have much of an advising Rome, which is probably good bc they're so far removed.

i tnd to agree with everyone else. i've been involved with multiple matches, selection meetings, interviews, etc and have found the process to be pretty legit. there are some attempts to game the system by applicants, but the process is so (for the most part) transparent that there are rarely any "wtf" match moments. i think sometimes there are some manipulations behind the scenes to balance out the distribution of strong applicants in years where a program may be getting all the bottom feeders (so to speak) but all in all it's probably more predictable than the civilian side.

if you have a story, by all means tell it somehow. there are a lot of people here with experience in these matters and we may be able to clear up or help you understand what may have happened from a different point of view. otherwise you just sound like a disgruntled person with an axe to grind and a predilection toward conspiracy theories.

--your friendly neighborhood chemtrails are poisoning us caveman

Because it is in the model of. Military selection board, preboard feedback has t be vague. Technically, it's not the PDs selecting, it's the GMESB.

Because it is in the model of. Military selection board, preboard feedback has t be vague. Technically, it's not the PDs selecting, it's the GMESB.
If anybody has sat in the room during the match then your comment is legit. If not. Then I could care less. Speech your mind. But it is only an opinion

I know that I am not speaking to any five stars on this web

I agree with the developing consensus. As much of a poo-pooer as I am, I saw no bias in the military match. Unless, of course, you mean that we tended to put applicants with untenable scores or ****e personalities at the bottom. Because if you mean that, then yes it was rigged. Just like every other match in the US. I'm sure there's a program out there that does some shady stuff, but I never saw it personally and I was involved in a few match processes.

I'll be the first to admit that I have levelled some accusations at milmed, but I'm always willing to provide at least anectodal examples. Gun-and-run just makes criticizers look like @$$holes with no leverage.
What do you mean?
why would share a legal case

Who speech truth why legal case web?

Doge speak...meme of the year in 2013 per wikipedia and I heard it here first. Tough to keep up with the kids but at least this thread was good for something.

Look man, just spit it out already. You post cryptic "everything is rigged" comments in the milmed forums, then make references to a legal situation involving the Army while you're over in Allo.

You joined in 2007 but have 41 posts, so clearly this board isn't a regular thing for you. Just quit the bull**** games and either vent about your story, or shut up and go away.

I love the milmed forum. :)

there are some attempts to game the system by applicants

I did not match the first time around when I was in medical school. I went through the point system and decided that I could "game" the system. First, I did a stellar job during my internship and would have scored the maximum three points that are allowed for current interns. I also pounded out a short paper so that I can get bonus points under the category of peer-reviewed publications. I matched the second time around into my first choice of civilian deferral. So yes, there are ways to get a few extra points but the bulk of the decision still comes down to grades, board scores, audition rotations, and rec letters.

The one thing that seems odd about mil match is that more people seem to come out disappointed/unmatched than on the civilian side.

True, that's because the military has way more people than it can train. It also limits the number of specialties available so that applicants have a narrower range of options.

When you've got almost 2:1 applicant ratios in some specialties, it seems like some straight talk could help limit the sour grapes.

I'm not sure what straight talk is going to achieve. When I was a medical student, the program director for San Antonio told me during my interview that I would be matching into a civilian deferral as my first choice. At the time I took him at his word and interviewed with several programs around the country. It wasn't until the match results came out that I realized that program directors can basically say whatever they want to and they aren't held accountable.