Failing physics...twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lollygagger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm in a horrible situation. Really bad.

Physics is my last pre-req for pharmacy school, I saved the worst for last. I have a GPA of 3.71 at my local community college where I completed over 70 credits, but a 2.91 at a university I transferred to for two semesters because I got a C in Bio I and II and Orgo II (which I retook at community college and got an A).

Last semester at my university I took a physics course, unaware because it was called "Elementary Physics" I thought it was algebra-based but it was Calculus. I last took calculus 2 years ago so I dropped it and got a W. I attempted it, but I was failing.

Finally I decided because it's my absolute last pre-requisite I am going to spend Spring semester studying for my PCAT in July, and JUST take Physics I. Well...I'm failing it. I failed my two exams with 50 and 40 respectively. I have one more exam left, and the final. I studied so much, I read the chapters, and I did all the example problems in the chapters and tried to get a solid foundation.
I would feel set on the exams, but the problems would turn out to be so difficult and I wouldn't know what to do.

The worst part of all of this , the whole reason I made this topic, is that this is just one course I'm taking...one course where I am able to spend as much time and dedication to and I'm failing. I entered this class thinking I will get an A because it's my only course this semester and I can't believe I can't pass it. I honestly feel stupid.
How horrible does this look? I feel like physics will be the reason I do not get into Pharm school. I'm so upset my parents told me maybe it's time I look else-where career wise but I know Pharmacy is what I really want to do. :(

With a 50 and a 40 on my exam I will probably need 100 on the next and final just to pull a B...maybe the last thing I can do is get a tutor but I'm afraid to risk getting F when I miss the drop date.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, so I'm in a horrible situation. Really bad.

Physics is my last pre-req for pharmacy school, I saved the worst for last. I have a GPA of 3.71 at my local community college where I completed over 70 credits, but a 2.91 at a university I transferred to for two semesters because I got a C in Bio I and II and Orgo II (which I retook at community college and got an A).

Last semester at my university I took a physics course, unaware because it was called "Elementary Physics" I thought it was algebra-based but it was Calculus. I last took calculus 2 years ago so I dropped it and got a W. I attempted it, but I was failing.

Finally I decided because it's my absolute last pre-requisite I am going to spend Spring semester studying for my PCAT in July, and JUST take Physics I. Well...I'm failing it. I failed my two exams with 50 and 40 respectively. I have one more exam left, and the final. I studied so much, I read the chapters, and I did all the example problems in the chapters and tried to get a solid foundation.
I would feel set on the exams, but the problems would turn out to be so difficult and I wouldn't know what to do.

The worst part of all of this , the whole reason I made this topic, is that this is just one course I'm taking...one course where I am able to spend as much time and dedication to and I'm failing. I entered this class thinking I will get an A because it's my only course this semester and I can't believe I can't pass it. I honestly feel stupid.
How horrible does this look? I feel like physics will be the reason I do not get into Pharm school. I'm so upset my parents told me maybe it's time I look else-where career wise but I know Pharmacy is what I really want to do. :(

With a 50 and a 40 on my exam I will probably need 100 on the next and final just to pull a B...maybe the last thing I can do is get a tutor but I'm afraid to risk getting F when I miss the drop date.
Not to sounds like a Negative Nancy, but based on your student profile (only succeeded in community college, GPA plummeted in university, didn't take calculus), I'm not sure what pharmacy school would accept you. In addition to that, many pharmacy schools have a calculus/physics prerequisite. Consider another career path, pharmacy may not be for you. If you thought the intro biology and chemistry classes in university were hard (considering you got a C), you probably won't pass the pharmacy classes.

I did take Calculus, I took it at community college. I said I dropped Physics, not Calculus.
Also, I know plenty of people who gotten into Pharmacy Schools just from being at community college, and finishing the pre-reqs there :/ They're doing just fine.
All that matters is to have a good GPA, and a good PCAT score I thought. Doesn't really matter where you go.
They will average my two GPAs, and when you average its a 3.31 all together. There are people, with very good PCAT scores, who get in with 2.90. I also do a lot of volunteer work and as well as work at a pharmacy as a Tech going on 2 years. You haven't seen my whole application or LORs to say that any pharmacy school wouldn't accept me...I'm sorry if I'm a bit defensive, I understand I don't have the strongest application and I understand I specifically asked how bad this looks to be failing physics twice, but I don't think I'm totally hopeless. I could understand getting F's but I heard of people getting in with five C's.

My main school is CC, I started my education there. I transferred to university last year because I thought I wanted a bachelors, but I don't actually. It's not required and I feel as though I would waste time and money so I'm back at CC to finish my last pre-req. University was definitely harder, it was definitely an adjustment...but I didn't fail.

I listed that I have a C in Bio I, II, and Orgo II but I have an A in every other pre-req (Gen Chem 1&2, Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2, Calculus, Orgo 1, etc.)
I retook Orgo 2 and got an A. I spoke to admission offices at several Pharmacy Schools and they told it's fine if I retake at a CC, they will average it, as long as I get the pre-requisite done with a good grade.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't think you can pull a C in the class, drop the class and retake it during the summer (where it should be easier). If you did bad on test 1 (which I assume should be on basic kinetic calculations for determination of velocity and acceleration), you're going to have a hard time later on. Although I can't understand why kinetics is giving you so much difficulty if you're putting in the effort and this is the only class you're taking.

I did take Calculus, I took it at community college. I said I dropped Physics, not Calculus.
Also, I know plenty of people who gotten into Pharmacy Schools just from being at community college, and finishing the pre-reqs there :/ They're doing just fine.
All that matters is to have a good GPA, and a good PCAT score I thought. Doesn't really matter where you go.
They will average my two GPAs, and when you average its a 3.31 all together. There are people, with very good PCAT scores, who get in with 2.90. I also do a lot of volunteer work and as well as work at a pharmacy as a Tech going on 2 years. You haven't seen my whole application or LORs to say that any pharmacy school wouldn't accept me...I'm sorry if I'm a bit defensive, I understand I don't have the strongest application and I understand I specifically asked how bad this looks to be failing physics twice, but I don't think I'm totally hopeless. I could understand getting F's but I heard of people getting in with five C's.

My main school is CC, I started my education there. I transferred to university last year because I thought I wanted a bachelors, but I don't actually. It's not required and I feel as though I would waste time and money so I'm back at CC to finish my last pre-req. University was definitely harder, it was definitely an adjustment...but I didn't fail.

I listed that I have a C in Bio I, II, and Orgo II but I have an A in every other pre-req (Gen Chem 1&2, Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2, Calculus, Orgo 1, etc.)
I retook Orgo 2 and got an A. I spoke to admission offices at several Pharmacy Schools and they told it's fine if I retake at a CC, they will average it, as long as I get the pre-requisite done with a good grade.
Well just drop Physics then. Some schools don't need a physics prereq, apply to those schools.

In my opinion, transferring back to community college after transferring to a four year university (and not doing well in your pre-req classes there) is a much bigger red flag then failing physics. If I were an admissions committee member, I would be concerned that you would be unable to handle the rigor of pharmacy school, and would be very hesitant in accepting you. I would strongly urge you to reconsider your choice to forgo a bachelor's degree. Even though many schools do not require a bachelor's degree, having one makes you a much more competitive candidate, and having a bachelor's degree gives you something to fall back on if pharmacy does not work out for you.

Sounds to me like CC was/is a joke.I think the PCAT will give us a better idea of your standing in terms of getting accepted, though you will obviously have to pass physics with at least a B to prove competence

Even if you get accepted somewhere you are going to have such a hard time as a pharmacy student

Don't listen to the haters here, you can definitely get into a pre-candidate school like Chapman or a school like MCPHS with that kind of student profile.

Don't listen to the haters here, you can definitely get into a pre-candidate school like Chapman or a school like MCPHS with that kind of student profile.

LOL.

But on a serious note, they do look at the school you came from especially if its a CC. For me, I have the opposite end. Left my CC with a 3.0 and like 80 or so units, stayed there way too long cause of family problems. Have a 3.8 at a UC now. Anyhoo, schools have asked me why I did better at university rather than CC, so they definitely do rank universities above CC.