MD Failing Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I just took Step 1 yesterday and think I failed. I guessed on so many questions and easily remember so so many questions that I got wrong. I was doing ok on the practice exams BUT the real exam felt nothing like the practice and honestly tested on all of my weak spots and was just so difficult all around. I’ve been crying buckets of tears feeling like a complete failure and feel like all my hard work during dedicated and last two years did not pay off at all.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Tons of people feel the same way. Honestly, you come out from the testing center, and it always feels like you failed. Those who come out and say the killed it are full of s$#Q#t!

How many practice tests did you take? Were all of them in the "99% chance of passing within two weeks"? If so - trust your practice tests!

How long do you have to wait for the result?

Reactions: 2 users
I took 3 practice tests, all of them said >95% chance of passing. But I feel like I made so many dumb mistakes on the real deal. Scores don’t come out until June 14th so it’s gonna be a long few weeks.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry you have to wait that long. Distract your mind as much as you can. There is nothing you can do about the result now. "The hay is in the barn." Try to enjoy the little free time you have now!

No one leaves S1 and S2 feeling good about it b/c they are difficult tests. You likely passed.

I have calmed down a little over the past few days.
Still recalling more and more questions I got wrong. Frustrated because some of them were NOT because I didn't know the content, but because of convoluted answer choices that tripped me up.

I know there is nothing I can do at this point, so I am going to do my best to focus on other things. I gave it my all and did my best for this exam, so if I fail, I don't have any regrets. I will remain resilient and steadfast if this turns out to be a setback.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
The second block of my exam totally murdered me. The problem with that is for the rest of the exam I had to ignore it and move on. At the end I came out of the exam with about 30 questions on my mind and kept googling them and approximately 50% of the questions that came to mind I got correct, and the other 50% incorrect. Still ended up passing.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember that step1 has 40 (?) experimental questions that aren't scored that may be throwing off your self-perception of how you did. Trust your practice scores.

I took my Step 1 on 5/3 last year. This was past the announced start of the gradin hiatus. In the days after the exam I made a spreadsheet of questions I remembered and if I got it right or wrong. I ended up recalling about 160 questions. Then I made predictions of passing based on how many I could still get wrong out of those I did not remember. I WAS SOOO HAPPY THAT I GOT MY SCORE ON THE 21st and did not have to agonize until July 6th. This would totally kill me. Therefore I think I really feel what the OP is going through right now. This whole process sucks.

I took my Step 1 on 5/3 last year. This was past the announced start of the gradin hiatus. In the days after the exam I made a spreadsheet of questions I remembered and if I got it right or wrong. I ended up recalling about 160 questions. Then I made predictions of passing based on how many I could still get wrong out of those I did not remember. I WAS SOOO HAPPY THAT I GOT MY SCORE ON THE 21st and did not have to agonize until July 6th. This would totally kill me. Therefore I think I really feel what the OP is going through right now. This whole process sucks.
Took S1 late enough so I had to wait until 7/6 last year, which was after rotations had already started. Brutal for classmates who started on a rotation, only to get pulled from it due to failing S1 - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Care
I've easily counted 30 questions I got wrong. I am certain that I failed. English is also my third language and the exam had such long and convoluted reading that I ran out of time on some sections. I have done all of Uworld question bank and multiple NBMEs and NOTHING felt close to the real exam. I swear I have not seen like 80% of the stuff on the exam and it just comes down to guesswork. I have not been the best medical student in my preclinical years but I have been doing my best. I feel like I did everything I could to prepare and gave it my all on test day but got screwed over by the exam regardless.

• Care
Hey Lifeblood- I feel ya. I'm very much in the same boat. It hit a lot of areas that I knew I should've spent more time on, but decided not to. I know it has been said before, but I can tell you that literally every single person (without fail) has told me that they felt awful walking out of step 1. And I've talked to a lot of people...

It's much easier said than done, but try to keep your mind off of it. It's done, and there's nothing else you can do right now. If it helps you sleep at night, you can come up with a backup plan in case you fail, but don't spend too much time agonizing over it. While we wait in this bizarre purgatory, try to spend time doing things you love. Throw yourself into your rotations, if that's what you're doing. Hang out with those that you care about. Stay busy, and for the love of all that is good and holy, don't google the answers to the questions you think you missed.

Believe it or not, it will be okay. We will get through this, and one day, this test will be just a distant unpleasant memory *hugs*

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey bro -

You took the test and it is over.

You have zero knowledge about if you passed or not until scores come out. Control what you can control. Hit the gym. Take a breather. Hang out with friends. Get some sleep.

Best of luck.

• Love
Thank you all so much for the kind words. You have no idea how helpful it has been, as I have been in a mentally dark place over the last few days.

I have not been the strongest student pre-clinically. I have failed 2 major exams in the last two years at my school, and I came close to failing on multiple other exams. I have been doing my best and adjusting my studying constantly trying to do better and using all the resources my school gave me plus more. But I admit I am just not as built for the academic rigor of medical education as most of my classmates. It feels terrible to push as hard as I can and yet still come out at the bottom. It feels awful to feel like I have reached my limit but may not be where 93% of US MD students are. But I know I must acknowledge my limits and figure out how to overcome them if I want to continue on this path.

I started on my first rotation this week. If I find out that I failed on 6/14, my school will let me finish this current rotation before going back to trying to pass Step 1. I have been doing my best to focus on the rotation. Seeing patients -- working with the medical team -- helping patients get better -- I love it. It has helped me re-evaluate my goals. I have never been intent on becoming a fancy dermatologist, neurosurgeon, or orthopod. I am not picky about where or what I do my residency in, at all. I have always just wanted to become A doctor, who helps patients and does good in their career.

Even if I failed Step 1, I am going to pick myself back up and keep working towards that goal for as long as I can.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you all so much for the kind words. You have no idea how helpful it has been, as I have been in a mentally dark place over the last few days.

I have not been the strongest student pre-clinically. I have failed 2 major exams in the last two years at my school, and I came close to failing on multiple other exams. I have been doing my best and adjusting my studying constantly trying to do better and using all the resources my school gave me plus more. But I admit I am just not as built for the academic rigor of medical education as most of my classmates. It feels terrible to push as hard as I can and yet still come out at the bottom. It feels awful to feel like I have reached my limit but may not be where 93% of US MD students are. But I know I must acknowledge my limits and figure out how to overcome them if I want to continue on this path.

I started on my first rotation this week. If I find out that I failed on 6/14, my school will let me finish this current rotation before going back to trying to pass Step 1. I have been doing my best to focus on the rotation. Seeing patients -- working with the medical team -- helping patients get better -- I love it. It has helped me re-evaluate my goals. I have never been intent on becoming a fancy dermatologist, neurosurgeon, or orthopod. I am not picky about where or what I do my residency in, at all. I have always just wanted to become A doctor, who helps patients and does good in their career.

Even if I failed Step 1, I am going to pick myself back up and keep working towards that goal for as long as I can.
OP... I remember you from the app cycle, and I very nearly decided to go to the same school as you. I have friends at your school, and so I know what the standards for passing are. Failing exams in med schools is not that uncommon, especially at a school like yours where the expectation is to also juggle many extracurricular/research engagements as well. In my opinion, your school is particularly rigorous and holds its students to high standards when it comes to setting passing thresholds for exams and for preparing students for step 1.

I'm extremely confident that you did not fail, and I'm also very confident that failing exams at a school like yours does not mean that you won't do great in 3rd year or on USMLEs (at my school, many of those who have gotten AOA have failed pre-clinical exams before anecdotally). I'm about to head into 3rd year too, so I wish you all the best!

Congratulations!!!

• Love
Leaving my practice scores here in case anyone find themselves in the same boat and need more reassurance:

CBSE: 51% (February, took for school)
NBME 25: 55% (51% chance of passing, 8 weeks out)
UWSA1: 56% (7 weeks out)
*stopped doing practice exam until I finished all of UWorld*
NBME 27: 71% (98% chance of passing, 6 days before exam)
NBME 31: 69% (97% chance of passing, 4 days before exam)
UWSA2: 49% lol (3 days before exam. I did not think this test was well written)
New free 120: 73% (2 days before exam)
Exam: May 26 - pass

I thought I failed because I found the actual exam much, much harder than any practice I’ve ever done. But as things turned out ok, I think as long as the NBMEs were taken fairly (test taking conditions, standard pacing, no looking up answers), and assuming no extreme test-day anxiety/happenings… the practice scores can be trusted.

Last edited:
  • Love
By no means is this meant to be negative - when y'all prepare for Step 1 -

DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY THAT 90-95% CHANCE OF PASSING!!!

Many people in our class had a bad experience with those probabilities. When preparing, make sure that there is significant non-overlap between the "pass" interval and your "score" interval.

• Hmm

Many people in our class had a bad experience with those probabilities. When preparing, make sure that there is significant non-overlap between the "pass" interval and your "score" interval.

Just to add, I think you should do NBMEs after doing enough UWorld (like 70% or more). I could have done more practice exams throughout my dedicated period, haha. I just thought it would be pretty pointless to do them and keep getting around 55%, so I decided to prioritize other studying. Thankfully doing all of Uworld raised my score to the high 60s/low 70s, but I admit I was kinda uneasy that the only good practice exam scores I got were the week before. Also, UWSA2 is a terrible exam, so don't panic if you do badly on it.

Anyways, so glad to be done! Finally, I can focus on rotations and being an M3!

Last edited:
Just to add, I think you should do NBMEs after doing enough UWorld (like 70% or more). I could have done more practice exams throughout my dedicated period, haha. I just thought it would be pretty pointless to do them and keep getting around 55%, so I decided to prioritize other studying. Thankfully doing all of Uworld raised my score to the high 60s/low 70s, but I admit I was kinda uneasy that the only good practice exam scores I got were the week before. Also, UWSA2 is a terrible exam, so don't panic if you do badly on it.

Anyways, so glad to be done! Finally, I can focus on rotations and being an M3!
...and Step 2... ;)

• Haha

I would only take this score seriously if it gives you the 95%+ chance of passing. I think you needed a minimum of 75% or so to reach this benchmark.

Below that and you're absolutely still at risk of failing.

I would only take this score seriously if it gives you the 95%+ chance of passing. I think you needed a minimum of 75% or so to reach this benchmark.

Below that and you're absolutely still at risk of failing.
I think 67%+ correct on NBME generally gives you 95%+ chance of passing. So to be safe, I personally aimed to get 70%+ correct on at least 2 assessments.

75%+ correct is definitely super safe (gives you 99%+ chance of passing) but I’d say probably not necessary. But of course that depends on how much risk the student wants to take and how long they are allowed to take for dedicated.

I think 67%+ correct on NBME generally gives you 95%+ chance of passing. So to be safe, I personally aimed to get 70%+ correct on at least 2 assessments.

75%+ correct is definitely super safe (gives you 99%+ chance of passing) but I’d say probably not necessary. But of course that depends on how much risk the student wants to take and how long they are allowed to take for dedicated.
Ah gotcha. It's been awhile so I guess I was misremembering. I definitely shot for 75% because I'm neurotic AF.

Kind of curious where they get the data for this. Collected for all examiners or just the people who fill out the surveys afterwards?

Ah gotcha. It's been awhile so I guess I was misremembering. I definitely shot for 75% because I'm neurotic AF.

Kind of curious where they get the data for this. Collected for all examiners or just the people who fill out the surveys afterwards?
Each NBME is composed of retired step 1 questions that were once given and scored. So your % correct on the NBME can be graded on the standardized curve for that combination of questions from back when those questions were used. Add on some variation due to RNG, assuming student definitely can get lucky/unlucky with guessed questions (hence why you get a range instead of a single score) and compare that with how much overlap there is with the pass range and voila, that’s your % chance of passing.

That is my best understanding but could be wrong!