Failure secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionsquestions!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the secondary essays that ask about a time you failed/were unsuccessful, is it generally accepted that we will talk about a time we failed in the context of a larger success?

I don't want to seem like I avoided the question by focusing more on the later success, but I wrote an essay about my greatest non-academic accomplishment previously and I think the same topic fits. Pretty much I was unsuccessful then became motivated to work hard and this showed through in my later success.

Also is it okay if the failure we discuss has literally nothing to do with applying to medical school/medicine in general? The failure I am thinking of writing about seems actually fairly inconsequential but it did have a large impact on me. I am assuming they are just looking for examples of resilience/determination when asking this question.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually it would be preferable not to write about failures on path to medical school.

Okay good! Thanks! :)
Do you think it's okay for me to focus on the eventual success though or is that avoiding the question?

"My biggest failure was coming up with something to write about for the failure question." :D

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd try to focus on something unrelated to academics. I can't imagine how many essays the committee members have to read that are just "I started organic and it was hard, so I studied more and it got better and I learned a lot".

failure with success upon it.
How do you think it would sound writing about a failed personal relationship? the relationship was almost 4 years and the end was a disaster. the relationship was abusive and i came out of it a shell of a person I used to be. but since then i've made huge strides in improving myself and developing into my own person. i've heard people go back and forth on whether or not a relationship is a good topic for this. just curious what your thoughts are.

I had a successful applicant who spoke about her husband and her husband losing their jobs, house going into foreclosure, and then the husband suddenly asking for a divorce all while she was in postbacc. Just be aware, if its on your application, it is far game to be discussed at interview, so be prepared to be able to speak about it
I'm totally fine talking about it I just didn't want to bring it up if it would be inappropriate. Thanks!