Fair PIC raise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorthlessOxygen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a pharmacy manager position, interviewing next week. I don't know much about the store but script volume is pretty low at ~1600 per week. Internal promotion so I'll be able to check out their performance and work a few shifts before accepting the job, assuming I'm actually offered it. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the current manager but there isn't actually a vacancy yet.

I know a lot of people here say to avoid manager positions as the raise is never worth the additional stress/liability, but I'm not the type to pass up a promotion. So looking long term, I think I'll end up either as a manager or a staff pharmacist in a high volume store and I'd prefer to have the little bit of extra control over my store's policies that comes with being a manager. Also, I want to lock in guaranteed hours since managers have a legally required minimum time spent in the pharmacy in my state.

What do y'all think is a fair raise? I know most chains offer something like $1-2/hr but I figure I might as well try negotiating.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

More than the staff pharmacist who didn't "step up"

I think you could get +$4 if they really desperate (prob not). Fair is no weekends, never close, no holidays

Reactions: 2 users
Get as much as you can, they won't give more than they want. If getting a raise is a key part of your decision to accept the job, I would have a minimum in mind and be willing to turn down the offer if it is not met. If you don't get the minimum and accept the job anyway you are sowing the seeds of discontent in your subconscious.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend negotiating your base hours as well. One of the key factors on my decision was increased base hours from 32 to 42h/week. It was definitely a huge boost on my yearly income. Just tell your DL you need more hours to properly do your manager duties

I recommend negotiating your base hours as well. One of the key factors on my decision was increased base hours from 32 to 42h/week. It was definitely a huge boost on my yearly income. Just tell your DL you need more hours to properly do your manager duties
Absolutely. I won't be considering anything under 40

Some companies give nominal bs raise like CVS $0.5/hr. You may still make less than your staff even after "promotion". Some others put you over above staff hourly rate +$2-8 depending on location immediately.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
This happened 5 years ago, and I haven't had a raise in over 3 years now, so take it as it is. When I went from staff to pharmacy manager, the set raise was 8% and hours went from 40 to 42/wk. I don't know what they are giving pharmacy manager promotions now, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same. It's hard to find a pharmacy manager that wanted to be one and wasn't 'forced' into it.

I'm considering a pharmacy manager position, interviewing next week. I don't know much about the store but script volume is pretty low at ~1600 per week. Internal promotion so I'll be able to check out their performance and work a few shifts before accepting the job, assuming I'm actually offered it. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the current manager but there isn't actually a vacancy yet.

I know a lot of people here say to avoid manager positions as the raise is never worth the additional stress/liability, but I'm not the type to pass up a promotion. So looking long term, I think I'll end up either as a manager or a staff pharmacist in a high volume store and I'd prefer to have the little bit of extra control over my store's policies that comes with being a manager. Also, I want to lock in guaranteed hours since managers have a legally required minimum time spent in the pharmacy in my state.

What do y'all think is a fair raise? I know most chains offer something like $1-2/hr but I figure I might as well try negotiating.

speaking from experience manager positions tend to be more stable and hoursguaranteed vs. staff/floater. In this market I’d go for it even if slight raise.

speaking from experience manager positions tend to be more stable and hoursguaranteed vs. staff/floater. In this market I’d go for it even if slight raise.
That's what I'm thinking. Also I'm the type of person that'll end up putting in extra work/handling issues anyway. So I figure I might as well have the title and whatever raise it comes with.

At the same time, I know the position should come with a raise as there's more responsibility and liability so I want to make sure that I'm not underselling myself.

I'm not sure that's fair for retail pharmacy. Dont most stores have 2 FT RPH?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

It's fair if the other pharmacist is a cipher

I have seen some schedules where managers would never close and don’t work any weekends. Not really sure how that would fly with HR or ethics if staff complains.

I'm really curious if you get the raise.

Anyways, 100% take the position. Manager position is really the only safe position currently.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest thing you should consider is if you have support as a manager to get the people and processes needed to produce the desired results. In other words can you hire and fire, do you have access to $ to buy things you need. A lot of pharmacists are bad managers and many pharmacies never empower their pharmacists esp corporate ones. Don't be surprised if the pharmacy is a nightmare and takes months and years to turn around. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen some schedules where managers would never close and don’t work any weekends. Not really sure how that would fly with HR or ethics if staff complains.

This is totally MHWD specific but you could permit the manager do 1 day closing a week max and 1 weekend day max per 4-week cycle. Who gonna say ****.

Compromise doesn't work with ciphers. It doesn't matter because they can't be motivated to do anything other than the bare minimum (and not even that actually) so you might as well give nothing.

This is totally MHWD specific but you could permit the manager do 1 day closing a week max and 1 weekend day max per 4-week cycle. Who gonna say ****.

Compromise doesn't work with ciphers. It doesn't matter because they can't be motivated to do anything other than the bare minimum (and not even that actually) so you might as well give nothing.

wth is a cipher? lol

and if there are only you and the staff and you refuse to work weekends close or holidays, good luck at keeping any good staff and is an easy way to divide the pharmacy and make people hate you

Chains don't let pharmacy managers hire staff pharmacists so is that really my problem? No. Can't even coach anyone and my evals get neutered because of politics

As for dividing the pharmacy there are techs too so some of these pharmacists need to take feedback and learn how to lead, direct, and supervise especially as the the FT staff pharmacist

Last edited:

I had a manager like that, never worked past 7pm and never on a Friday. It didn't affect me since I was overnight but all the staff pharmacists and techs complained. The DM didn't care.

More than the staff pharmacist who didn't "step up"

I think you could get +$4 if they really desperate (prob not). Fair is no weekends, never close, no holidays

we must work for different Walmart’s. Here in Texas I get 156 RPH every 2 weeks at a pretty busy store (before all this Covid/protest happened). We work every other weekend as managers. We are cut super dry - yet somehow the market is always over payroll....

the days of one weekend every month, no closing etc are long gone I’d think in most markets.

we must work for different Walmart’s. Here in Texas I get 156 RPH every 2 weeks at a pretty busy store (before all this Covid/protest happened). We work every other weekend as managers. We are cut super dry - yet somehow the market is always over payroll....

the days of one weekend every month, no closing etc are long gone I’d think in most markets.

Even with closing at 7 PM overlap still has NOT been cut for most low-vol stores that still have 9-7 Sat hrs (minimum 194 hours per pay period), even stores that sell < 1000/wk

I had a manager like that, never worked past 7pm and never on a Friday. It didn't affect me since I was overnight but all the staff pharmacists and techs complained. The DM didn't care.

DM has to care once s/he receives call from HR or ethics.

That pharmacist has to make a complaint though; which most aren’t willing.

Why would techs complain about how pharmacists are scheduled other than they don't like working with weak pharmacists?

All schedule templates are supposed to be approved by MHWD and everyone has to sign off on it btw (well I suppose that's market-specific)

Well in certain instances, schedules have already been approved and that staff pharmacist leaves and another one takes over. Now another rph is stuck with the old schedule since it was already approved previously. S/he contacts supervisor but supervisor doesn’t respond. The new rph doesn’t know what to do etc.

Happens more frequently than one would imagine. Techs complain about everything; especially if they don’t get along with that one particular rph.

Why would techs complain about how pharmacists are scheduled other than they don't like working with weak pharmacists?

All schedule templates are supposed to be approved by MHWD and everyone has to sign off on it btw (well I suppose that's market-specific)

If the manager doesn't have to work on Fridays or past 7pm, then why should the techs have to? It's bad for morale.

People are welcome to pursue jobs that don't require working on weekends and at night. More power to them. It's still possible to get out of the Special Olympics if you actually come across as having people skills, which a lot of retail cannon fodder don't

People are welcome to pursue jobs that don't require working on weekends and at night. More power to them. It's still possible to get out of the Special Olympics if you actually come across as having people skills, which a lot of retail cannon fodder don't

lol are you the manager that everyone hates but doesn't give a ****? :laugh:

Only ****ty pharmacists and techs hate me but that's like 80% of automaton cannon fodder

wth is a cipher? lol

This, WTH is SineCura talking about?

and if there are only you and the staff and you refuse to work weekends close or holidays, good luck at keeping any good staff and is an easy way to divide the pharmacy and make people hate you

This. It a pharmacist is working every other weekend and every other holiday (or every holiday! I once had a job like that....) while the "manager" works 09:00-5:00 M-F, that that is going to be lead to a very bad work environment, which will only worsen as all the even marginally good pharmacists will leave.

A bad work environment is also one where a weak, lazy pharmacist doesn't get anything done

A bad work environment is also one where a weak, lazy pharmacist doesn't get anything done

and you are fostering that environment by driving all the good pharmacists away

Dang, 68 of 72 months as a PIC and I still have this job? I can count the # of good pharmacists I've encountered at Walmart on 1 hand and that does not include most floaters (if they were any good they would have gotten a store eventually) and includes literally 1 staff pharmacist across 2 stores

Retail cannon fodder should be happy with what they get at this point in time

Dang, 68 of 72 months as a PIC and I still have this job? I can count the # of good pharmacists I've encountered at Walmart on 1 hand and that does not include most floaters (if they were any good they would have gotten a store eventually) and includes literally 1 staff pharmacist across 2 stores

Retail cannon fodder should be happy with what they get at this point in time

maybe you aren't getting a good staff because of your bad reputation lol and I'm a little confused, are you trying to say you've only had an actual staff 4 months out of the 72 months you've been an manager? also if you only worked at Walmart, are you even as good as you claim to be? lol

the only scenario where your schedule could work is if you have multiple staffs at your store and they switch between weekends and open/close and you work whenever you wanted, OR if your pharmacy closes early like at 6pm where it doesn't matter if you open or close, but if not and you are only working with one other pharmacist then o boy i don't even know what to say

the tech "complains" because techs may favor your staff more than you and they take the staffs side, so they don't work as hard when they work with you

may explain why you think 80% of the people you work with sucks, maybe its you that's the problem

If I was that bad I would've been demoted a long time ago like 6 other failed PICs who still have staff positions at Walmart in my area

I've worked either in narc stores or ghetto-**** areas, like absolute trash of society places (albeit I haven't worked in DC where they apparently have bars on the windows at CVS?). You have to be on point, not be some wallflower who can't handle conflict

Working retail is not something to be "proud of." Like I said being good at retail is like winning the Special Olympics yet most retail fodder can't even reach good

Last edited:
If I was that bad I would've been demoted a long time ago like 6 other failed PICs who still have staff positions at Walmart in my area

I've worked either in narc stores or ghetto-**** areas, like absolute trash of society places (albeit I haven't worked in DC where they apparently have bars on the windows at CVS?). You have to be on point, not be some wallflower who can't handle conflict

Working retail is not something to be "proud of." Like I said being good at retail is like winning the Special Olympics yet most retail fodder can't even reach good

You come across as an arrogant corporate tool. Are you intending to offend with your Special Olympics analogies?

Sign of a bad pic....techs side with the staff

You come across as an arrogant corporate tool. Are you intending to offend with your Special Olympics analogies?
Sign of a bad pic....techs side with the staff

Unfortunately bad workers like to team up to be... extra useless instead of sublimating their butthurt toward something productive

What's up wags? You bag on bad floater pharmacists all the time