General Admissions & OTCAS Faith-Based OT Graduate Programs & LGBTQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT823

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post and am super excited to have found this site. I wanted to ask for some feedback from students currently in/graduated from faith-based programs.

I am a gay male who is hoping to submit my applications for this year. The only school is my proximity is AHU (Advent Health University) in Orlando, FL. I am definitely setting my sites on other Florida schools as well as out-of-state programs, but after visiting this campus and taking a tour of their open house, I have really come to admire this program. Being that AHU is part of Florida Hospital (Seventh Day Adventist), I have heard class is led in prayer and upon submitting your application, you also submit a "statement of faith." When I participated in this campus tour, I got the opportunity to meet with Jackie Dones, one of the academic advisors. During our conversation, Jackie asked: "What church do you go to?"

I have to admit this question caught me off guard and upon replying that I was more spiritually-open due to my personal journey, I seemed to provide an answer that wasn't to her liking (assuming here)? I previously attended a Christian-based undergraduate program where I hid my sexuality for fear of getting "caught" and having to forfeit my tuition. So it seems almost comical in a way that I am circling back to another similar setup. Some of my inner circle is telling me to hide my sexuality as to not jeopardize my chances of getting into a program and others are telling me to not even consider going there as to avoid the repeat of enduring another challenging experience.

From what you've experienced/heard, am I over-analyzing my sexuality being a determining factor in getting accepted to a faith-based program? Do you feel that being a gay should maybe be something I not disclose? Any feedback is super helpful as this is something that has been weighing on my heavily.

Thank you,
E :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi epuentesjr, I've been faced with a similar situation (although not quite as personal as yours); I've recently been accepted at Indiana Wesleyan University for their OTD program but I am personally both unbaptized and do not attend church frequently. During the interview I was asked some very tricky questions like "who inspires you" and "what do you believe your personal mission at IWU is?". I discussed being inspired by my dad as well as Pope John Paul II in a religious context: I discussed about how I realized the sacrifice and hard work my dad put in for the sake my family; he was often working far away from the family due to my family's tenuous legal status in the US (he was a contract H-1B worker, so the second he loses a contract he was required by law to leave unless he can immediately find another job). I also talked a lot about Pope John Paul II; whom greatly inspired me by not only his message of love, but his life of heroic virtues and of his ability to continue to love despite all the pain and trauma he has endured living under the Nazis and the Soviets.

I would suggest you to answer all their questions truthful but with honesty and insight. Discuss your struggles with personal identity but do not make your experiences as a gay male be all-encompassing during your interview; gay-rights and advocacy are important, but I think it's often time put in too high of a focus (the difference between being "gay" male instead of person with sexually identifies as being "gay"). Focus on the HUMAN struggles in your life, and don't make your sexuality a focal point unless they explicitly ask you (which is highly unprofessional and unlikely).
I would also suggest you consider other schools; short of having perfect 4.0 GPA, 320+ GRE and a stellar list of work experience and beautifully written recommendation letters, you will absolutely not be guaranteed an acceptance, rehabilitation sciences are pretty "hot" right now and everyone who's eligible will be applying to OT (which is a lot, considering our admission is much more holistic with a lower bar of entry than say, physical therapy). It would be wise of you not to put all your eggs into one basket.

Best of luck!

Wow, that is a really tough situation and I am sorry you're in this position. I would also urge you to consider the importance of authenticity and support. You are only going to be the best clinician when you can truly be yourself, and adding the huge personal challenge of hiding your identity could be a tremendous source of stress as you are going through school (which is already stressful enough). Also, because grad school is stressful, you want to be somewhere where you can have a really solid support system. For these reasons, I think I would advise finding other programs that excite you that also allow you to be true to yourself. I think it would much healthier and more fulfilling in the long run :) best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OT is supposed to be inclusive of everyone. Despite the school having a background in a church, the ethical code that OT learns is acceptance and love. If a program were to discriminate due to your sexuality or background, then you probably could do better without that education. I believe my school is a Methodist background, but it is not led in prayer and there isn’t a faith statement. I’m agnostic and do not hide that in a heavily church dominated area. If you already have bad vibes... I would look at other schools. Lots of money to spend being unhappy somewhere.

Hi epuentesjr, I've been faced with a similar situation (although not quite as personal as yours); I've recently been accepted at Indiana Wesleyan University for their OTD program but I am personally both unbaptized and do not attend church frequently. During the interview I was asked some very tricky questions like "who inspires you" and "what do you believe your personal mission at IWU is?". I discussed being inspired by my dad as well as Pope John Paul II in a religious context: I discussed about how I realized the sacrifice and hard work my dad put in for the sake my family; he was often working far away from the family due to my family's tenuous legal status in the US (he was a contract H-1B worker, so the second he loses a contract he was required by law to leave unless he can immediately find another job). I also talked a lot about Pope John Paul II; whom greatly inspired me by not only his message of love, but his life of heroic virtues and of his ability to continue to love despite all the pain and trauma he has endured living under the Nazis and the Soviets.

I would suggest you to answer all their questions truthful but with honesty and insight. Discuss your struggles with personal identity but do not make your experiences as a gay male be all-encompassing during your interview; gay-rights and advocacy are important, but I think it's often time put in too high of a focus (the difference between being "gay" male instead of person with sexually identifies as being "gay"). Focus on the HUMAN struggles in your life, and don't make your sexuality a focal point unless they explicitly ask you (which is highly unprofessional and unlikely).
I would also suggest you consider other schools; short of having perfect 4.0 GPA, 320+ GRE and a stellar list of work experience and beautifully written recommendation letters, you will absolutely not be guaranteed an acceptance, rehabilitation sciences are pretty "hot" right now and everyone who's eligible will be applying to OT (which is a lot, considering our admission is much more holistic with a lower bar of entry than say, physical therapy). It would be wise of you not to put all your eggs into one basket.

Best of luck!

Hey SpaghettiScholar -
That is some good food for thought. I very much agree that as a becoming professional, it is important to focus on human struggles rather than solely on sexual struggles. I also didn't consider that it could be totally inappropriate for a program to ask me how I sexually identify myself. I'm keeping my options open to other schools (and personally feel I would prefer a non-religious based program). I'm in somewhat of a tight spot (dating someone who's willing to uproot his life for me and move wherever I get accepted but is pleading for me to stay in Orlando if at all possible for the fact of having to find new employment). Thank you for your feedback!

Enrique

Wow, that is a really tough situation and I am sorry you're in this position. I would also urge you to consider the importance of authenticity and support. You are only going to be the best clinician when you can truly be yourself, and adding the huge personal challenge of hiding your identity could be a tremendous source of stress as you are going through school (which is already stressful enough). Also, because grad school is stressful, you want to be somewhere where you can have a really solid support system. For these reasons, I think I would advise finding other programs that excite you that also allow you to be true to yourself. I think it would much healthier and more fulfilling in the long run :) best of luck!!!

This is good feedback to ponder. I genuinely do desire to be authentic with whatever program I get accepted to and deep down do feel that going to a religious-based program would create somewhat of conflict within me (depending on the level of integration a program may have with their faith practices). I'm in somewhat of a tight spot (dating someone who's willing to uproot his life for me and move wherever I get accepted but is pleading for me to stay in Orlando if at all possible for the fact of having to find new employment). But I think at the end of the day, I feel like I have my preferred outcome. Thank you.

OT is supposed to be inclusive of everyone. Despite the school having a background in a church, the ethical code that OT learns is acceptance and love. If a program were to discriminate due to your sexuality or background, then you probably could do better without that education. I believe my school is a Methodist background, but it is not led in prayer and there isn’t a faith statement. I’m agnostic and do not hide that in a heavily church dominated area. If you already have bad vibes... I would look at other schools. Lots of money to spend being unhappy somewhere.

I think I agree with you BabeBlueInTexas. I already spent $80 in my undergrad for that experience. I would hate to have to spend more money on somewhere that doesn't align with my core values as a person and professional. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user