General Admissions & OTCAS Fall OT 2016 applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vista1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post but I would really like some advice. I will be applying to the MOT program for the Fall 2016 school year and was wondering what else I can do to be a strong candidate. I recently graduated from CSUSM with a BS in Kinesiology/Health science. Unfortunately my gpa isn't as strong as it could be, a 3.2. This makes me really nervous because I feel like it is not high/strong enough. Nevertheless I will be finishing up my last 3 prerequisite classes this Fall and applying to a few different schools such as Touro University, Samuel Merrit, Midwestern, SJSU, and ATSU.
What can I do to have a legitimate chance to be accepted to one of these schools? I have 90 hours experience working with an OT at an inpatient facility. I will most likely intern at another OT facility in order to have more experience. I will also be taking the GRE later this summer. Does anyone recommend anything else in order to help my application ? Perhaps some more volunteer work? I guess I am just nervous about my application not being strong enough.

Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

If schools only ask for two different settings try and do three... always do more then they are requesting and apply early!
Hey everyone this is my first post but I would really like some advice. I will be applying to the MOT program for the Fall 2016 school year and was wondering what else I can do to be a strong candidate. I recently graduated from CSUSM with a BS in Kinesiology/Health science. Unfortunately my gpa isn't as strong as it could be, a 3.2. This makes me really nervous because I feel like it is not high/strong enough. Nevertheless I will be finishing up my last 3 prerequisite classes this Fall and applying to a few different schools such as Touro University, Samuel Merrit, Midwestern, SJSU, and ATSU.
What can I do to have a legitimate chance to be accepted to one of these schools? I have 90 hours experience working with an OT at an inpatient facility. I will most likely intern at another OT facility in order to have more experience. I will also be taking the GRE later this summer. Does anyone recommend anything else in order to help my application ? Perhaps some more volunteer work? I guess I am just nervous about my application not being strong enough.

Thank you !

Reactions: 1 user
If schools only ask for two different settings try and do three... always do more then they are requesting and apply early!
Thanks. I will definitely apply as early as next month.

If you feel your overall GPA is not a strength, improve other areas of your application that you are able to change. Have outstanding letters of recommendation, show that your well-rounded (leadership, extra-curricular activities, volunteering), do well on the GRE, get As in the rest of your classes, have a high prerequisite GPA, and definitely show your passion for pursuing OT. GPA is an important factor but there are other factors that are considered (importance of each depends on the school).