Fall Schedule: Biochem vs. Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofrj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With respect to establishing a strong and broad background to prepare for the MCAT, which course is more important: Biochem or Physiology? To be more specific, when limited to taking either Biochemistry or Animal Physiology prior to the MCAT's administration, which is most likely to cover MCAT relevant material? Unfortunately, taking both is not an option due to scheduling conflicts.

Members don't see this ad.

sonofrj said:
With respect to establishing a strong and broad background to prepare for the MCAT, which course is more important: Biochem or Physiology? To be more specific, when limited to taking either Biochemistry or Animal Physiology prior to the MCAT's administration, which is most likely to cover MCAT relevant material? Unfortunately, taking both is not an option due to scheduling conflicts.

Biochem, by 1 order of magnitude.

I found them about equally useful.. but upon further consideration, the physiology stuff was a lot less in depth on the MCAT and a lot easier to pick up on review, so probably biochem. Unless you're strong in it to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
biochem is the new "black"

we all probably got different tests, but in my april mcat there was a TON of physiology (particularly nephrology). I still haven't taken biochem and I did very well on the bio-science part of the mcat due to my background in physiology/micro/genetics. so if you ask me, i think physiology's the way to go.

actually, a PATHOphysiology course might help you even more. that's right, i just replied to myself....

I got quite a bit of nuero-physiology on my Aug 2004 MCAT and I have to say without physiology, my score would have gone down a lot. I didn't even have biochem at the time, I ended up taking it after the MCAT to prep myself for the Apr MCAT, but I then I decided against taking the MCAT again. Ultimately the choice is your and everything is just purely depending on your version of the MCAT.

By the way sonofrj, what school do you go to? Just something in your post that reminded me of someone.

Thanks for the input, but I remain indecisivse one way or the other. I know that personal experiences and test editions do vary, but in general, which topic is more necessary for adequate MCAT preparation?

Absolutely Physiology.

I would recommend Physiology & Genetics both before Biochem, which I would recommend ahead of micro.

I have viewed a bunch of identical threads in the past (and started one of my own) there is always a variety of feedback, but it seemed to me that the the majority view was the same as the one I expressed.

Physio hands down. There are a few biochem questions, but a lot of passages resembles things covered in Physio. if you want to get into UCSD or UCI you'll need to take Biochem too