Family coming to the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHOPSTIX

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have my first interview coming up this friday and I was wondering what is the policy for family traveling with you to the interview. Can they come with you to the interview if they wanted to see the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
I have my first interview coming up this friday and I was wondering what is the policy for family traveling with you to the interview. Can they come with you to the interview if they wanted to see the school?

Yes, my wife came with me to an interview at OCPM and she toured the school with us. I really think that bringing your family along would be encouraged at any school.

Hey everyone!
I guess it depends on what you mean by family. Wife I can possibly understand, Mom and Dad wouldn't seem right in my opinion. I remember this question coming up a year or two ago, and since then I still haven't seen anyone have their family (spouse or otherwise) be at an interview/tour. I can only imagine that it would be pretty boring for them while you are going through the financial aid presentation and actual interview process. If they wanted just to see the school, and showed up just for the tour, that would seem a little less unusual to me. My wife didn't want to come with me. She went to the mall and got a manicure instead:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, at one of my medical school interviews some kid brought his dad along--who went with us on the tours, asked the most questions, and sat in the lounge with us.. when the kid was called up to interview, I almost asked the dad 'aren't you going with him'..but managed to restrain myself..didn't reflect very well on the kid and his confidence in his independence..dad was kind of a douche too..

People actually bring their parents?!?! Weird. I even think bringing you spouse is weird. I never saw family at my interviews either. I left the wife at home to go on the interviews. I guess she could have come along to look at the school before or after the interview, but during would have been weird. Definitely not parents. Weird!

I think bringing your parents to the school sends a bad message. It makes you seem like you arent able to do it on your own. I would show them all of the literature you have (websites, paperwork, pictures, etc.). For my interviews I went solo and then later in the day or the following day I kinda drove around with my parents and let them see the area. My parents dont need to know what the cafeteria or the gross lab looks like anyways. However, they will be key in helping me find housing and with what the cities are like though. Utilize them in a way that makes sense and doesnt make you look like you're 16. This is grad school not undergrad anymore. Good luck.

On my interview, we had someone bring their dad...It was weird for me, b/c it seemed as if the person was insecure...HOWEVER, I think the dad was gonna invest all the $$$$ his kids pod. education, & wanted to see what he was getting for $150,000+........Man, I wanted to be adopted by this guy:laugh:

But, in all seriousness, I can understand if you want to bring a spouse....(My wife wanted to go)....They are making a "sacrifice"---just like you are, BUT since I'm a guy & very confident; I went solo, & told her, "I'm the man of the house she'll learn to like it...."

My girlfriend came along, she wanted to be there for an important time in my life. She just hung out in the school while I interviewed. Staff were extremely nice to her, joked around with her, and the dean talked to her for a while. Afterward we explored the area. Also, I was the only interviewee that day and didn't get a tour or anything extra, just about an hour of interviews.

I attended the open house at NYCPM. Most students came alone, but a few did bring a parent. These students with parents seemed to be in early college, probably not applying yet. To me, bringing a parent makes you seem less independent.

At one of my interviews earlier this year, someone brought both of their parents. I felt embarrassed for them and their son. Someone from the college came and asked for the students to follow her and the parents asked "what about the parents?" They received a funny look from her and were told that they could wait where they were. They looked very uncomfortable and soon left.

I agree that this sends the wrong message completely and reflects negatively on the student. This is medical school (DPM, MD, DO, OD, etc) not kindergarten. You are trying to become a doctor and your parents are intricately involved in every detail of your life?

Parents need to let go, and kids need to learn to do things on their own. At the beginning of this semester I saw a mother buying textbooks from the college bookstore for her kid. I really felt sorry for that kid.

On the other hand, I could possibly see spouses coming to the interview day just to tour the campus. Mine didn't, however - to much $$$ and it didn't even cross my mind.

I can see parents or especially a spouse being interested in going to the interview day. With the large investment ($200k) being made its reasonable to want them to come. However, I still feel it sends the wrong message. Interviews end around one in the afternoon. I would say have your spouse or parents pick you up and take a casual stroll around the area. They could see a little bit of the school on the outside and maybe inside a little too. Then talk to them about the experience and like I said before show them the literature. A little more realistic if your dad/mom is a podiatrist. That might be the only reason I would ever bring a parent. Even more so if they were alumni. Overall... Better to go solo. Of course bring them on any housing searches you go on. Who cares if the people you are getting an apartment from think your a mamas boy.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll have my parents just take a look at the school before or after my interview. I think it would be very awkward to have them at the actual interview.