Family friendly OMFS programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlee99p

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand all OMFS specialty programs are demanding. But are there ones where it's "easier" on the residents with families? Supposedly, I hear that UCLA and Columbia are really chill programs.

Are there 4-yr programs that are family friendly as well?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Without going into a ton of description....

Stick to the 4-yr programs that aren't at level 1 traumas, and you should have a lighter call. They're typically a little friendlier, but it's all relative. That said, it may not be as strong a training without some of the trauma/pathology, so you have to be ok with that.

Otherwise, apply to some of the programs not affiliated with major medical centers or dental schools. The self-standing programs typically seemed a little lower key if they weren't 6-yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely stick to 4 year programs (The ones in Cali, Illinois, NY, NJ, Wisconsin, Colorado are known for being easier when it comes to call, case volume, and complexity of cases) . However, I would avoid these 4 year programs if your looking for a"family friendly" because these are hardcore 4 year programs.

Knoxville
Miami
Emory
Washington Hospital Center
Houston
USC
Carl

I did a little looking around now that I had nothing to do the night before my residency orientation starts....

Family friendly, from what I gather, check out:

Denver Health
Christiana Care
Medical College of Georgia
St. Josephs
Lincoln Health
Nassau
Rochester (sort of)
Gundersen
Medical College of Wisconsin

I only actually interviewed at two of those, but word of mouth wise, I'd say that list is semi-accurate. Like I said though, any program can still be pretty intense.

I did a little looking around now that I had nothing to do the night before my residency orientation starts....

Family friendly, from what I gather, check out:

Denver Health
Christiana Care
Medical College of Georgia
St. Josephs
Lincoln Health
Nassau
Rochester (sort of)
Gundersen
Medical College of Wisconsin

I only actually interviewed at two of those, but word of mouth wise, I'd say that list is semi-accurate. Like I said though, any program can still be pretty intense.

Cool thanks for all the info. I'll look into them further..

If you want to call yourself a "surgeon" you actually will have to train as a surgeon. Never heard of a surgical residency that consists of home call and working mostly in clinic. Sounds like perio to me;)

You might fool the periodontists by calling yourself a "surgeon," until you've run a code by yourself or have done a panfacial case with just you and a dental student/intern assisting well you have a long way to go.

When selecting a program you actually should try to pick a program that will make you the best at what you do. Not allow you to get more sleep as a resident.

i sleep an average of 3.5 hours a night. And I feel great!

Sometimes when my hypoglycemic shakes (like when I don't eat for an entire day) get real bad I find that it actually helps my suturing. I kinda jiggle the suture needle through tissue- advanced technique sort of stuff....:thumbup:

i sleep an average of 3.5 hours a night. And I feel great!

Sometimes when my hypoglycemic shakes (like when I don't eat for an entire day) get real bad I find that it actually helps my suturing. I kinda jiggle the suture needle through tissue- advanced technique sort of stuff....:thumbup:

Interesting.....my shakes are usually withdrawal. :eek: