family issues - 1 summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mslee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the 'activities' section, and one of my two summers has no "activities"...

I had a bit of a family issue during that summer, but it's not something that I'm particularly proud to share with anyone, even some of my closer friends.

And since my parents didn't speak fluent English or were as familiar with the American culture as I was, apart from this issue occupying me all summer emotionally, I ended up spending a lot of time brainstorming with my parents as to how to best proceed, write formal letters, or go with them to meetings regarding this incident and its aftermath. (No, we didn't get in trouble with the govt or anything as grave as that...)

After reading the "how to enter activities" thread, I noticed the emphasis people put on the fact that adcoms look at our activities chronologically and can spot gaps, if there are any. I don't know how important this (the fact that I do have a gap) is, but how should I approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

I had no activities after my sophomore year since I literally spent the whole time moving. As long as you've got a decent spread of activities other than that one summer, you'll be fine. You might prepare to discuss that summer in an interview, though.

I agree and don't think it's a problem at all. It definitely may come up in interviews, but I think telling adcoms that you had a personal family situation that summer suffices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a janitor in college and had no medical-related experience at all for more than a decade after college. (I did graduate in 3 yrs with a 3.7 so I'm not totally pathetic I hope)

Schools I've spoken with have told me they're looking for quality of experiences rather than quantity. And that 300 hrs clinical experience is more than many applicants have. Probably best to have some leadership, some clinical, some community volunteer experience rather than worry about filling each summer.

You'll be competing against lots of people with great ECs, I'd focus on what you have done rather than bring up in any conversations/discussions/etc about that one summer. I'm planning on totally skipping any reference to my custodial arts!

I've always wanted to work as a janitor in a hospital at least once.

Imagine what you would get to see.