Family Medicine commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that my family medicine rotation (my first rotation) is about an hour according to Google Maps from where I will be living third year. I can choose to either stay in housing provided on site, which presents some logistical difficulties, or I can commute. I'm leaning toward commuting because a) it's family medicine so hours should be reasonable and b) I'll have just relocated to begin with days before so it makes being away more logistically nightmarish than usual.

I was wondering if anyone experience with having longer commutes for rotations and if you have any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I have had several FM rotations in rural locations that had the option of commuting or staying on site. What you do is really dependent on the rotation.

At one site the hours were pretty much 8:30-5:00 so driving back and forth was less of an issue (still got REALLY old by the end of the month). At another site it was more of a full-scope situation where they wanted you to take call and be around for deliveries so you needed to stay in the area.

My psych rotation was close to an hour commute each way. So 2 hours in the car every day. Honestly, it depends on traffic for me. 1 hour in traffic is infinitely worse than 1 hour of smooth driving. My drive was easy and smooth, and I was able to listen to The Hobbit on my iphone during the drive. It really wasn't that bad. Getting to come home to my wife and dog was easily worth the drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the free housing either way. If you want to go home you can, if you have a night here and there you want to stay then you can. Best of both worlds. An hour each way can get old.

Survivor DO

I would take the free housing either way. If you want to go home you can, if you have a night here and there you want to stay then you can. Best of both worlds. An hour each way can get old.

Survivor DO

2x

Crash at the free place if you are tired or M-Th. Fri after you are excused, drive back to your place. Maybe even go back late Sun nite so you don't have to do M and an early AM drive.

When I did rural rotations it was easy to bring some clothes and whatnot to the free housing and come back on weekends. If the place is furnished it really shouldn't be that much of a logistical problem. If you don't have spouses/ siggos/ pets/ kids I'd stay at the place. Less distractions from studying!

Look at it as a great opportunity to live in another town at no extra cost.

Thanks for the input. I think I will commute but take the on-site housing so I'll have another option on crazy days. I am moving to the town where my clinical campus is located just days before the rotation begins and coupling that to another move just feels too disruptive. The up side is that I am in walking distance of all my other third year rotations.