Family Ties for School with Strong IS bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1156342

Hey all,

So i’m an FL resident, but I am interested in applying to some schools that have strong preference for IS applicants. I’m referring to UC Irvine mainly, but I have what I perceive as strong connections in CA, NY, and NJ so my question can apply to the other strong IS preference schools in those states.

CA: My sister and dad live there now, as well as my dads family that we’ve spent holidays with every year so I’ve traveled to CA yearly my whole life.

NJ: My cousins (closest family that is not my immediate family) live on the border of NJ and NY and we’ve visited them 3+ times a year my entire life, so I would have a lot of interest to practice/go to school there.

NY: My sister lived there for 6 years before moving to CA, but also as mentioned with my cousins we would visit NY every time we came to see them in NJ. So about 3+ times a year coming to NY as well. Also a huge Knicks and Giants fan for what it’s worth.

My question is, is it worth trying to apply to some of these schools with heavy IS bias or should I save the money for something else? UC Irvine, Keck, Rutgers, NYU LI, NYMC are all schools that lean towards instate applicants that I was interested in.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, is it worth trying to apply to some of these schools with heavy IS bias or should I save the money for something else? UC Irvine, Keck, Rutgers, NYU LI, NYMC are all schools that lean towards instate applicants that I was interested in.
If you attended one of these for undergrad, you would potentially have a decent chance at an interview at that school (as long as you also match median stats and mission).

Reactions: 1 user
If you attended one of these for undergrad, you would potentially have a decent chance at an interview at that school.
Thank you for your response! Negative, FL resident attending FL school. Also have never lived in any of those places, just the family connections I mentioned. Would you suggest I steer clear in that case even though my close family lives in those places?

Thank you for your response! Negative, FL resident attending FL school. Also have never lived in any of those places, just the family connections I mentioned. Would you suggest I steer clear in that case even though my close family lives in those places?
It would be a long shot (even with a stats match). CA exports more pre-meds than any other state and NJ schools only recently started considering anyone OOS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Family living in an area does NOT make for close ties to a state, with the exception, perhaps, of UNLV.

You going to college in the state, or having lived there for a significant amount of time countsvas a tie
Thank you for your response! That makes sense. That is slightly frustrating, but as is the process. I have a list of 22 schools that I am super interesting in applying to as a FL resident, would you advise against any of these purely off state residency?

UCLA Geffen
Emory
USC Keck (iffy on this one)
Wake Forest
U of Florida
Miami Miller
UC Irvine (assuming no for this one based off previous response)
Tulane
VCU
USF Morsani
Rutgers - New Jersey (iffy on this one)
EVMS
U of South Carolina - Columbia (iffy on this one)
U of Arizona - Phoenix
U of South Carolina - Greenville
New York Medical College
FSU
UCF
Hackensack
FIU
FAU
Nova

Thank you for your response! That makes sense. That is slightly frustrating, but as is the process. I have a list of 22 schools that I am super interesting in applying to as a FL resident, would you advise against any of these purely off state residency?

U of South Carolina - Columbia (iffy
Rutgers - New Jersey
U of Arizona - Phoenix
U of South Carolina - Greenville

The above schools are very OOS unfriendly. You can find this info in MSAR Online. Pay very careful attention to the IS/OOS ratios

The above schools are very OOS unfriendly. You can find this info in MSAR Online. Pay very careful attention to the IS/OOS ratios
I aim for 25% OOS matriculants in a given class when reviewing a school. Should I aim for 30%? The only school below that on my list are Keck, Rutgers, and Irvine. USC Columbia: 26%, USC Greenville: 41.9%, and Arizona Phoenix: 46.67% OOS percentage matriculated in the class respectively on the latest MSAR.

I aim for 25% OOS matriculants in a given class when reviewing a school. Should I aim for 30%? The only school below that on my list are Keck, Rutgers, and Irvine. USC Columbia: 26%, USC Greenville: 41.9%, and Arizona Phoenix: 46.67% OOS percentage matriculated in the class respectively on the latest MSAR.
Most of those public OOS schools are not worth it. MSAR often does not tell you that the school usually takes students from the neighboring state for their OOS or how many of those attended undergrad or high school in the state.

Some schools like Arizona Phoenix want high stat applicants for their OOS and/or who speak Spanish (whether they come from a UiM background or not).

Someone applying to Keck usually does not apply to NYMC. Include all the details formatted in a WAMC template if you would like a school list provided:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
You should be looking at where your stats and app match the school, not merely whether they accept OOS applicants. Are you really Keck caliber?

You should be looking at where your stats and app match the school, not merely whether they accept OOS applicants. Are you really Keck caliber?
That is a fair point. I have a 3.71 cGPA and a 3.59 sGPA, and I'm taking the MCAT in a few months but I've been scoring in the 518 range on my practice recently so that is about what I'm anticipating. ECs in a nutshell look like 1100 clinical between 2 activities, 250 hours non-clinical volunteering, 250 hours clinical volunteering, and about 350 hours of research with a poster and presentation. Keck is definitely on the the higher end of my list, I figured I would try to apply widely and throw some darts at the more competitive ones.

That is a fair point. I have a 3.71 cGPA and a 3.59 sGPA, and I'm taking the MCAT in a few months but I've been scoring in the 518 range on my practice recently so that is about what I'm anticipating. ECs in a nutshell look like 1100 clinical between 2 activities, 250 hours non-clinical volunteering, 250 hours clinical volunteering, and about 350 hours of research with a poster and presentation. Keck is definitely on the the higher end of my list, I figured I would try to apply widely and throw some darts at the more competitive ones.
Lot depends on the MCAT. If you do not have an upward trend, the lower sGPA will likely hold you back at the more competitive schools.

Lot depends on the MCAT. If you do not have an upward trend, the lower sGPA will likely hold you back at the more competitive schools.
If getting a 3.54 cGPA up to 3.71 and a 3.47 sGPA to 3.59 sGPA in my last 3 semesters counts, then yes my trend is upward.

3.68 -> 3.53 -> 3.49 -> 4.00, with the last year being 45 credits
That helps. Come back when you know your MCAT score. In the meantime, continue to gain non-clinical volunteering hours. These should be outside an academic environment and in-person, ideally at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc.

You likely will want to apply in 2024.

That helps. Come back when you know your MCAT score. In the meantime, continue to gain non-clinical volunteering hours. These should be outside an academic environment and in-person, ideally at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc.

You likely will want to apply in 2024.
Thank you so much for your time! I really appreciate the input. Obviously I should strive for as many hours as possibly, but ideally how many should I aim to get to be competitive? Both clinical and non-clinical.

Thank you so much for your time! I really appreciate the input. Obviously I should strive for as many hours as possibly, but ideally how many should I aim to get to be competitive? Both clinical and non-clinical.
Your clinical hours are good where they are at, as long as it involved patient interaction (ie not research subjects through a CRC role or clerical work in a hospital). Non-clinical, you should aim for 200 hours in a non-academic setting. Many students try to use tutoring, fundraising or campus blood drive for this category and it is not what schools are looking for. Some schools like Loyola, I would encourage >300 and Rush is usually close to 1000 or more.

Yes, my clinical hours that are paid are as a PCA and a radiology tech. The clinical volunteering is at hospice. The non-clinical is spread between food bank and delivering meals to low income elderly.
Your clinical hours are good where they are at, as long as it involved patient interaction (ie not research subjects through a CRC role or clerical work in a hospital). Non-clinical, you should aim for 200 hours in a non-academic setting. Many students try to use tutoring, fundraising or campus blood drive for this category and it is not what schools are looking for. Some schools like Loyola, I would encourage >300 and Rush is usually close to 1000 or more.

You shouldn't be thinking of a school list until you have your MCAT score in hand.

Apply strategically. Med schools don't need the donations of a wasted app.