Fantasy of American Healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef_NU

G-Unit
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very to the point article worth a read

The Fantasy of American Healthcare

Somewhat cynical about the whole healthcare system given the cultural attitudes of this country, but I have to agree. Sometime within the next 25-50 years, the house of cards will come down. We will face a true economic crisis due to the health care situation and we will have real reform. Until then, political entrenchment will prevent anything from happening. Unfortunately, I predict that universal health care will be the option we choose. Shame no country in the world will ever try a completely deregulated, private insurance-based system. No politician has the balls to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

chef_NU said:
Very to the point article worth a read

The Fantasy of American Healthcare

Somewhat cynical about the whole healthcare system given the cultural attitudes of this country, but I have to agree. Sometime within the next 25-50 years, the house of cards will come down. We will face a true economic crisis due to the health care situation and we will have real reform. Until then, political entrenchment will prevent anything from happening. Unfortunately, I predict that universal health care will be the option we choose. Shame no country in the world will ever try a completely deregulated, private insurance-based system. No politician has the balls to do it.

very interesting; just came back from india and there a two tiered system exists . . . private payor system for high level care where $$ speak and a default government system for the rest; most people don't carry private insurance and so the when middle class (300 million peoples) see doctor; doc tells what he wants to order and cost; up to patient to decide whether to proceed . . . it probably can't work here because an american life is worth more than a life in a country of a billion people.

bugmenot said:
very interesting; just came back from india and there a two tiered system exists . . . private payor system for high level care where $$ speak and a default government system for the rest; most people don't carry private insurance and so the when middle class (300 million peoples) see doctor; doc tells what he wants to order and cost; up to patient to decide whether to proceed . . . it probably can't work here because an american life is worth more than a life in a country of a billion people.

Interesting, I didn't know the two tiered system existed in India. I advocate something akin to this. It seems the most optimal way to cover everyone with the limited resources given.

Members don't see this ad :)
NonTradMed said:
Interesting, I didn't know the two tiered system existed in India. I advocate something akin to this. It seems the most optimal way to cover everyone with the limited resources given.

I agree here, too. Since most people need routine check-ups I always thought that would be a good benefit covered by the state. Most well-visits are around $100-150 anyway, which isn't too bad.

The majority of people, though, do not have specific problems, i.e. cancer, transplants, etc., and could hold private insurance policies, or purchase policies from the state as well.

It's nice to see a few others who picked up on that system!