FAP - Gap between residency and active duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahd929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody had any insight on this question. Nobody I've spoken too at the pay office seems to know the answer and can't direct me to anyone who does. I am Air Force FAP and will be graduating residency at the end of July 2013 (I had a month of leave during residency and will be making it up at the end). I know most FAP folks do COT during July, but I won't be able to. I was told there is no COT class in August but there is one in September. If I have a month-long gap between the end of residency and COT, would I still be drawing a paycheck from the Air Force? And would my family and I be able to get health insurance? If not, will the Air Force lift their moonlighting restriction so that I can support my family? I love time off, but I don't think I can manage a month-long unpaid vacation. Also, does anyone know what your salary is for the month that you're at COT? If anyone has any experience with any of these issues, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Pure speculation here: I would bet they will pcs you to your new duty station pre-COT and you will start work there and subsequently attend COT at some point.

Finally found out for sure from the assignments officer. Backrow is right: I will PCS first and go to COT later. But that brings up other questions maybe somebody here can help with. I'm in the FAP (Air Force pediatrics), with zero prior military experience. Never worn the uniform, never learned customs and courtesies, etc. So, in addition to graduating residency and starting my new job as a staff pediatrician in a new clinic in a new city or town, I will also be in a military environment for the first time ever, without the benefit of having completed COT.

Anything specific I should read up on beforehand? Any advice on how to behave? Besides just hoping that everyone I'll be working with will be patient and understanding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Google OTSMAN...youll find a pdf fil of what were given to read at COT that teaches customs and courtesies. Some of it only pertains to the training facility but it'll give you at least a rough idea...then try to find someone to give you a quick intro when you get there.

I was in the same situation. You'll get hooked up with a sponsor after you find out your assignment next Spring who can help with your uniforms and other basics to get started [as I did]. I reported in July after finishing my residency in June, started working shifts, and then went to COT in September. At least you won't have your tasking for deployment before COT like I did since you're Pediatrics. :) Feel free to contact me with any further detailed questions over the coming weeks/months.

Finally found out for sure from the assignments officer. Backrow is right: I will PCS first and go to COT later. But that brings up other questions maybe somebody here can help with. I'm in the FAP (Air Force pediatrics), with zero prior military experience. Never worn the uniform, never learned customs and courtesies, etc. So, in addition to graduating residency and starting my new job as a staff pediatrician in a new clinic in a new city or town, I will also be in a military environment for the first time ever, without the benefit of having completed COT.

Anything specific I should read up on beforehand? Any advice on how to behave? Besides just hoping that everyone I'll be working with will be patient and understanding?

Is your residency near an AFROTC detachment? Go and ask some of them for simple tips. As for basic military customs and courtesies, knowing how to stand at attention and render a salute will get you by for most things. May wish to learn formal entry into your commander's office for the first time as well.

Take a look here at the AF enlisted rank innsignia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_enlisted_rank_insignia

If a member has 3 stripes or less they can be referred to as "Airmen" So And So. 4 stripes up to 7 (two going up) may be referred to as "Sergeant" So And So. If there are 8 stripes (3 up) it is "Chief" (never just "Sergeant"). You need not refer to every rank specifically, unlike the Marines.

Officer ranks here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_officer_rank_insignia.

If you are outside and not in a marked "no salute" area and you are approaching someone of higher rank than yourself, render a salute at ~ 6 paces and drop it when the salute is returned. "Good [morning, afternoon, evening] Sir/Ma'am" is never going to get you in trouble.

I looked at the OTSMAN and there is a lot of fluff related to OTS specifically, but page 6 has some saluting tips. AFI 36-2903 is the instruction related to dress and appearance and is a useful thing to refer to.

This will probably get you through most situations without the benefit of knowledge gained in COT.

thanks all! that was helpful. for the sake of anybody else in a similar situation in the future, i'll post again sometime next fall with an update.

thanks all! that was helpful. for the sake of anybody else in a similar situation in the future, i'll post again sometime next fall with an update.

Hello everyone. This question is someone related. What happens if you start your FAP late into the start of the year of the residency? For example you start FAP 3 months into the year of the residency; do you lose that 3 months of stipend?

Thanks in advance!