FAP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttocut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if one is active reserves if one accepts the Army FAP? Could one be an inactive reservist? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wanttocut
Does anyone know if one is active reserves if one accepts the Army FAP? Could one be an inactive reservist? Thanks

Hi Wanttocut,

I'm in the FAP. In the FAP, you're really in the inactive ready reserve. You don't drill and you don't do the 2 weeks of active duty. It's a nice deal if you enjoy military life.

Good luck!

Thanks Ophtho_MudPhud; are you required to spend a weekend a month with the reserves unit?

Thank you for your responses -- I've gotten a lot out of your previous threads.
PTH

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the FAP?

Thanks again for your answers Ophtho_MudPhud. One more question to whom ever would know the answer: What is the likelihood of the Army allowing a "delay of service" in order to complete a fellowship?

I am just starting a GS residency and would like to apply for the FAP but I have concerns that the Army will not allow me to complete a fellowship. The recruiter says it is quite common -- I have been forwarned not to blindly trust everything they say. He also told me that the FAP program will not exist as of 2004.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Delaying to do fellowship is not common, unless there is an immediate shortage of that speciality.

You'll have to contact the Army speciality leader (MD who is in charge of surgery) and inquire if he/she anticipates a shortage or need in your fellowship interest.

A couple of notes of military pay for physicians to help you make your decision:

1) About 15-20% of your pay will be exempt from federal, state, and FICA/SS tax because this is an adjusted allowance for living and house.

2) About half of your pay is "special pays" which is not subjected to FICA/SS tax (which is a big discount). Special pays are basically cash bonuses given each year.

3) If you can claim a state of residence where military people are not subjected to state tax, then your complete income is not subjected to state tax.

With the above consideration, your starting income as a surgeon will likely be around $110, but your take home amount is equivalent to someone who makes $150 and pays all of the above taxes.

I'm not sure about the FAP not existing. I'll have to wait and see. Congress has the power to change their minds.

Good luck!

thanks once again Ophtho_MudPhud. Unfortunately, just as I was gathering information to apply, the recruiter informed me that the FAP (army) was closed for the year and that it is unlikely that it will exist next year.

I am still looking into the AF but am unsure if the same deal applies. Thank you for your advice-steeped previous posts.