FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would appreciate any advice.

step 1 high 250s
honors year 1, 2, and 3
likely senior aoa
allopathic state school in Midwest
first author paper in submission in unrelated field
no rads research

what programs should I be looking at?
also, do I need a separate PS for transitional year programs?

Any you like and nope.

I would recommend over-applying as I do to everybody, but Drizz is right that it probably won't matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick about 30-40 programs you like nationwide and apply; choose 10-13 among top tiers (mgh, UCSF, Penn, Ucla, duke, Stanford, etc) 10-13 from 2nd tier (northwestern, pitt, wake, etc) and 10-13 mid tier (BU, Dartmouth, etc). I don't think you need to apply to any community programs unless you want to.

I added a paragraph at the end of my PS for TY programs, not sure it's necessary but I'm sure it can't hurt.

I would appreciate any advice.

step 1 high 250s
honors year 1, 2, and 3
likely senior aoa
allopathic state school in Midwest
first author paper in submission in unrelated field
no rads research

what programs should I be looking at?
also, do I need a separate PS for transitional year programs?

I'd pick about 30-40 programs you like nationwide and apply; choose 10-13 among top tiers (mgh, UCSF, Penn, Ucla, duke, Stanford, etc) 10-13 from 2nd tier (northwestern, pitt, wake, etc) and 10-13 mid tier (BU, Dartmouth, etc). I don't think you need to apply to any community programs unless you want to.

I added a paragraph at the end of my PS for TY programs, not sure it's necessary but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
HELP

Will I match somewhere?? I would love to match somewhere in Northeast...even a small community program...

Step 1: 240..
Step 2: score soon..

Clerkship grades: all passes, high pass in IM and neurology:scared: probably bottom quartile of class...

6 abstracts..

:confused:

HELP

Will I match somewhere?? I would love to match somewhere in Northeast...even a small community program...

Step 1: 240..
Step 2: score soon..

Clerkship grades: all passes, high pass in IM and neurology:scared: probably bottom quartile of class...

6 abstracts..

:confused:

Yes. As long as you're a US MD.

Random specific question: so I have good grades from 3rd year clerkships, rads elective, and medicine SI but I recently got a poor grade in a non-rads 4th year elective. Do programs care at all about grades in 4th year courses that aren't rads or SI/AI? Will this tarnish my application or come up in interviews etc?

I have mostly Bs first two years with a couple of As and usmle step 1 score of 227

Random specific question: so I have good grades from 3rd year clerkships, rads elective, and medicine SI but I recently got a poor grade in a non-rads 4th year elective. Do programs care at all about grades in 4th year courses that aren't rads or SI/AI? Will this tarnish my application or come up in interviews etc?

Probably not.

Most likely not, did you pass without needing to repeat?

Most likely not, did you pass without needing to repeat?
I passed without needing to repeat, it's just that my school seems to have a fair amount of grade inflation such that a "pass" looks not so great. I also feel stupid because I chose to take this elective when I could have just done something else, and I'd kick myself if it ended up hurting my chances. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement guys.

I passed without needing to repeat, it's just that my school seems to have a fair amount of grade inflation such that a "pass" looks not so great. I also feel stupid because I chose to take this elective when I could have just done something else, and I'd kick myself if it ended up hurting my chances. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement guys.

If it's an elective (and not radiology or subspecialty), no one will care.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine.

Hey sorry if this has been asked before:

If you do an away rotation but don't get a LOR from that school, can all the other programs you're applying to see that you've done an away rotation there?

It is almost comedic to me that 260s is a chance, 250s is meh and 240s and matching is equivalent to winning the lottery. It is such a minimal difference in the percent correct at those levels. A slightly off day or guessing wrong on a couple of questions is all it takes. Makes me glad I'm not gunning for Cali. I'd be a nervous wreck right now.

Lol exactly, also glad I have no interest in academic medicine. But i'm more convinced that johnnydrama is just a troll trying to psyche others out on this board with his prognostications out of his ass.

Hey sorry if this has been asked before:

If you do an away rotation but don't get a LOR from that school, can all the other programs you're applying to see that you've done an away rotation there?

Ask your school for a copy of your transcript. It'd be there if anywhere.

Just a question on a slightly unrelated topic to the usual what are my chances theme on this thread. I've asked a lot of people this question and no one seems to have a clear answer. Do rads PDs look at CK scores for interview selection? I have CK scheduled for Sept 30, meaning scores won't be back til late October. With a step I of mid-240s, I'm wondering if PD's will be looking for CK results to give an interview and whether my scores will be back in time to influence how many interviews I get.

Just a question on a slightly unrelated topic to the usual what are my chances theme on this thread. I've asked a lot of people this question and no one seems to have a clear answer. Do rads PDs look at CK scores for interview selection? I have CK scheduled for Sept 30, meaning scores won't be back til late October. With a step I of mid-240s, I'm wondering if PD's will be looking for CK results to give an interview and whether my scores will be back in time to influence how many interviews I get.

I wouldn't bother unless you just want to get it out of the way.

Lol exactly, also glad I have no interest in academic medicine. But i'm more convinced that johnnydrama is just a troll trying to psyche others out on this board with his prognostications out of his ass.

I just told someone with a low 240s Step and no clinical honors they will have no issues getting a spot as long as they are graduating from a US MD program. How is that psyching anybody out?

I freely admit that I am telling people to over apply, but from the applicant side of this there is almost no downside ($500 for an extra 20 programs is small beans in the context of everything else in this process - just think of what you're paying your medical school 4th year).

Residencies in the South and Midwest are less competitive than the region I focused on for residency, so that should also be a consideration.

The worst mistake you can make at this point in the process is be over confident and under apply. Many people won't need to apply to those extra programs, but some will.

And none of us can predict how competitive it will be this year.

I think there is a significant downside to overapplying but I also think there is a good formula you can use to decide where to apply:

260+/mostly honors: 20 programs regionally or 30 nationally
250+/mostly honors or 260+ w/ 1-3 honors: 30 programs regionally, 40 nationally
240/mostly honors or 250+ w/ 1-3 honors: 40/50
230-240, 50-60 programs
220-230, 60-80 programs
<220, 80-100 if not all programs.

That is weighed upon the type of program you'd like as well. I am guessing a rockstar like you had pretty high expectations. ;)

I'm basically following that formula. I rounded up a bit since I'm top heavy in the programs.

I do wish one didn't have to apply to so many places, but that is the name of the game and I rather pay more now and find that perfect program over going for convenience and settling for one (that would likely still make me happy).

I don't think it is dependent on the caliber of program. Yield protection will limit high scoring applicants' success at lower ranked programs.

That is weighed upon the type of program you'd like as well. I am guessing a rockstar like you had pretty high expectations. ;)

I'm basically following that formula. I rounded up a bit since I'm top heavy in the programs.

I do wish one didn't have to apply to so many places, but that is the name of the game and I rather pay more now and find that perfect program over going for convenience and settling for one (that would likely still make me happy).

Just curious of my chances for an interview at these institutions:
Beaumont
Henry Ford
Metrohealth
Case
CCF
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Toledo

Stats:
Step I: 235
All honors pre-clinical and clinical with the exception of family medicine
Should have AOA....not announced yet
Significant research in non-radiology field
Step II in September

I grew up in Ohio and would be most interested in the two Michigan programs. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

You'll potentially be competitive for all those.

Just curious of my chances for an interview at these institutions:
Beaumont
Henry Ford
Metrohealth
Case
CCF
Ohio State
Cincinnati
U Toledo

Stats:
Step I: 235
All honors pre-clinical and clinical with the exception of family medicine
Should have AOA....not announced yet
Significant research in non-radiology field
Step II in September

I grew up in Ohio and would be most interested in the two Michigan programs. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Advice greatly appreciated. Rather unique circumstances...

Graduated from DO school 2008.
Traditional Osteopathic Internship in 2009.
Active duty air force as a Flight Surgeon (GMO) with multiple operational tours 2009-2013
Preclinical GPA: 3.3
Clinical GPA: 3.7
Comlex 1: 508. (taken when mean was still 500)
Comlex 2: 468
Comlex 3: 492
Minimal formal rads experience except during med school. No LOR from Radiologist.
I'm hoping that my added maturity and life experiences will make me more competitive.
Thoughts? Specifically any programs I should look at?
Thanks so much for the advice.

Advice greatly appreciated. Rather unique circumstances...

Graduated from DO school 2008.
Traditional Osteopathic Internship in 2009.
Active duty air force as a Flight Surgeon (GMO) with multiple operational tours 2009-2013
Preclinical GPA: 3.3
Clinical GPA: 3.7
Comlex 1: 508. (taken when mean was still 500)
Comlex 2: 468
Comlex 3: 492
Minimal formal rads experience except during med school. No LOR from Radiologist.
I'm hoping that my added maturity and life experiences will make me more competitive.
Thoughts? Specifically any programs I should look at?
Thanks so much for the advice.

Without taking the USMLE, DO programs only.

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can help me out.

I'm currently a third year Osteopathic student

USMLE Step 1: 246
Comlex: not received yet

Research: 1 paper, co-author set to be published in a major journal (Radiology relevant)
1 abstract

Top 10% of my class

I know I'm currently at a handicap considering that I am a DO student but I'm wondering what you guys think regarding which programs I should consider/apply for and my chances.

I was born and raised in Southern California. I would love to go to a program in SoCal but I'm also aware how unlikely that is. Of course I wouldn't apply to UCLA, UCSF or any of the top programs. But I'm interested in Loma Linda, Kaiser Los Angeles, Cedars. I'm also considering programs in Texas and Florida, but I am not too fond of the Northeast or Midwest.

If you guys can give me some advice to strengthen my application as well that would be great!

Thank you!

Hey Guys...to add to my info above

I just got my comlex: 629.
I think average comlex this year was 500 with SD of 81.

Do you guys think I should apply Osteopathic or Allopathic?
There's only a few DO programs and the DO match is earlier, so if I applied and got in I'd have to withdraw from the allopathic match. I would much rather match at an MD school.

Do I have a realistic shot of getting into a legitimate allopathic Rads residency in California, Texas, Florida? Or should I apply Osteopathic route to ensure I get in.

My Step 1 was 246, but I know being a DO puts me at a disadvantage, I don't know how badly.

Also, my school does not give us individual grades for each rotation , so I will not get a "honors" or "high pass" for each individual rotation, we only get evaluated for our overall clinical performance for all core rotations, which puts me at another disadvantage

I have one rads publication on the way and 1 abstract/poster (non-rads) that will be presented in two months. Also I have a LOR from an interventional Radiologist who was the Director for GME Radiology at Brigham and Woman's and SUNY Upstate, with connections at Baylor's COM and UCSD (Former students in his program he still keeps in touch with). I don't know how much that'll help me considering my DO status. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Won't get CA, maybe Texas or Florida, definitely SUNY Upstate.

I'm not going to apply to Stanford or UCSF. Was looking more along the lines of Loma Linda, Kaiser Los Angeles, Cottage in Santa Barbara , is it still a far shot?

I'm not going to apply to Stanford or UCSF. Was looking more along the lines of Loma Linda, Kaiser Los Angeles, Cottage in Santa Barbara , is it still a far shot?

Yes, unfortunately.

I would still apply, but do not get your hopes up.

CA is nuts.

Prolly not going to happen but no chance if you don't apply!

Hi, guys gimme your bottomline on my shot.

Midtier boston school

Step 1: 245
Step 2: Pending

3rd year grade: most high passes, 1 honor in surg

Research: 1 poster this year for RSNA, 1 abstract pending acceptance, and working with another radiologist (dunno if i can get anything submitted).

I am hoping to match in California (preferablly at an academic center like uci, cedars, ucd).

Think your stats are more in line for the good CA community programs, but anything's possible.

Think your stats are more in line for the good CA community programs, but anything's possible.

Cedars is not an academic center, but you should be competitive. Ucd isn't out of reach but UCI prob is.

3rd year DO student.

Comlex Level 1: 556
Usmle Step 1: 233
GPA: 3.567
No research. Various volunteer and work experience.

What are my chances at allopathic residencies? Osteopathic?

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been looking at the job postings and noticed there are a large # of jobs being posted for New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. Why do they need so many rads there?

Outside shot at MD residencies, apply to about 100 or so programs.

3rd year DO student.

Comlex Level 1: 556
Usmle Step 1: 233
GPA: 3.567
No research. Various volunteer and work experience.

What are my chances at allopathic residencies? Osteopathic?

Thanks!

Outside shot at MD residencies, apply to about 100 or so programs.
Pardon my ignorance, but how much do you think that would cost? Also, would applying at 100 programs guarantee me a spot?

Thanks again!

Would $2000 dollars in costs and forgoing the DO match for an MD spot be worth it? Would my chances of matching somewhere be good?

Your odds are slim, but better with the new all or nothing match policy.

The spots you're going to be in the running for were mostly filled pre-match this year by FMGs.

Apply to only small community programs. Mainly in South and Midwest.

Hello to all. I’m new to the website and I was looking for some advice. My husband and I will be doing the couples match in this year ERAS. I will be applying for a radiology residency spot, while my husband will be applying for general surgery. I was wondering if anyone in this thread has any experience with couples matching at a radiology residency program

As for my CV goes – GPA: 4.0, Honors in all of third year clerkships, Step 1: 241, research, poster presentations, lots of community service, no publication during medical school (one while undergrad).
His CV - GPA: 3.98, Honors in all of third year clerkships, Step 1: 256, research, poster presentations, lots of community service, no publication.

We are both looking to go to either the East or West Coast. The ideal location would be the Boston area. I was looking at Tufts, BU, etc. He was looking for more top programs. Realistically, what are our chances of matching to programs at the same institution vs. different institutions? Does my husband’s higher Step 1 scores hurt MY chances or does my lower Step 1 scores hurt HIS chances? What are our chances if we go ahead and do couples match vs. not doing it? Any advice from members who have matched to a radiology residence and gone through the couples match or simply know someone who has done it? Any advice is gladly appreciated. :)

I think you'll both be competitive for your respective specialties. I wouldn't hold out hope for mgh/bwh/bid (maybe bid) but you should be competitive for bu/tufts, mount auburn, lahey, and brown.

Hello to all. I’m new to the website and I was looking for some advice. My husband and I will be doing the couples match in this year ERAS. I will be applying for a radiology residency spot, while my husband will be applying for general surgery. I was wondering if anyone in this thread has any experience with couples matching at a radiology residency program

As for my CV goes – GPA: 4.0, Honors in all of third year clerkships, Step 1: 241, research, poster presentations, lots of community service, no publication during medical school (one while undergrad).
His CV - GPA: 3.98, Honors in all of third year clerkships, Step 1: 256, research, poster presentations, lots of community service, no publication.

We are both looking to go to either the East or West Coast. The ideal location would be the Boston area. I was looking at Tufts, BU, etc. He was looking for more top programs. Realistically, what are our chances of matching to programs at the same institution vs. different institutions? Does my husband’s higher Step 1 scores hurt MY chances or does my lower Step 1 scores hurt HIS chances? What are our chances if we go ahead and do couples match vs. not doing it? Any advice from members who have matched to a radiology residence and gone through the couples match or simply know someone who has done it? Any advice is gladly appreciated. :)

Mid tier school in the south
Step 1: 249
Years 1 and 2: Honors in 15/16 courses
Year 3 (H/P/F): H in Internal medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Ob/Gyn, P in Family medicine and pediatrics
Likely senior AOA
Poster presentation at conference, but no pubs, typical ECs otherwise

Would love some advice on places I should shoot for - what are my chances at places like Northwestern, BID, etc. and what are some good safety options? I really have no idea what community programs are good vs. which to avoid. Don't really have any geographic preferences except not really looking to go to the west coast.

Mid tier school in the south
Step 1: 249
Years 1 and 2: Honors in 15/16 courses
Year 3 (H/P/F): H in Internal medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Ob/Gyn, P in Family medicine and pediatrics
Likely senior AOA
Poster presentation at conference, but no pubs, typical ECs otherwise

Would love some advice on places I should shoot for - what are my chances at places like Northwestern, BID, etc. and what are some good safety options? I really have no idea what community programs are good vs. which to avoid. Don't really have any geographic preferences except not really looking to go to the west coast.

You should get one of the academic programs in the South pretty easily, probably won't need many community backups but better safe than sorry). Without ties, I'd give you 50/50 odds of interviews at both Northwestern and BID (ie 50/50 for each individually). I wouldn't set your heart on any particular school outside of the South, but apply to all the places you might like and wait for interviews.

Hello to all. I'm new to the website and I was looking for some advice. My husband and I will be doing the couples match in this year ERAS. I will be applying for a radiology residency spot, while my husband will be applying for general surgery. I was wondering if anyone in this thread has any experience with couples matching at a radiology residency program

As for my CV goes &#8211; GPA: 4.0, Honors in all of third year clerkships, Step 1: 241, research, poster presentations, lots of community service, no publication during medical school (one while undergrad).

We are both looking to go to either the East or West Coast. The ideal location would be the Boston area. I was looking at Tufts, BU, etc. He was looking for more top programs. Realistically, what are our chances of matching to programs at the same institution vs. different institutions? Does my husband's higher Step 1 scores hurt MY chances or does my lower Step 1 scores hurt HIS chances? What are our chances if we go ahead and do couples match vs. not doing it? Any advice from members who have matched to a radiology residence and gone through the couples match or simply know someone who has done it? Any advice is gladly appreciated. :)

I couples matched into radiology/obgyn. We were both a little bit more competitive than you two. I would say you should apply to all the schools on both coasts, but I wouldn't expect much from the big west coast (ucla, ucsf, stanford, UW) or east coast programs (mgh/bwh/bid/hopkins/duke) - to be brutally honest, I think UCirvine, USC, and SD would be out of your reach as well unless you really have strong ties there (not "i'm from california" ties). I don't think the numbers are there for you.

I think if anything, your husband will help you get interviews at programs you would normally be borderline for. You won't hurt him for interviews. Boston would be a great place where he could attend one of the big 3 where you could get great training at Tufts or BU. LA would be hard because USC and LA aren't very close to each other. Pretty much, you're going to want to look at programs in big cities that have a top tier academic program next to a good academic program - these are Boston, NYC, Baltimore (if youd be willing to try for UMD), LA (if you would consider KP - great IR training btw). If you are set on attending a top tier radiology program as well, you have to consider the midwest. UMich, mayo, MIR, I think you have a mediocre-fair chance of interviewing, but still reaches.

PM me if you have any additional questions. Good luck. The couples matching process sucks.

Last edited: