FASFA Q+A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1175339

Hello! Potentially dumb question- I am currently filling out my FASFA for my schools I was accepted and waitlisted for and was wondering if how much money I currently have in my checking account affects my ability to attend schools. I am very aware of how expensive school is and how much debt i’ll be taking on, but i’m wondering if they would rescind my acceptance if my account was below a certain number. Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean whether your acceptance to the school would be affected? Absolutely 1000% not, schools are need-blind because virtually everyone has to take out loans. You will have a listed contribution expected, but you can still elect to borrow up to the full cost of attendance no matter how much money you have saved. Don't worry too hard about it!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question in relation to this, how do students afford housing during vet school? Are there similar loans or do you have to find outside sources?

Question in relation to this, how do students afford housing during vet school? Are there similar loans or do you have to find outside sources?
Your fafsa loans will account for living expenses

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all! Just to clarify (because I always second guess myself) - the FAFSA form for loans for vet school is the same generic form we submit for undergrad loans? Or is it something different/special? I know the form needs to be directed to the school that I applied to but other than that the information I have found has not been very useful

Hey all! Just to clarify (because I always second guess myself) - the FAFSA form for loans for vet school is the same generic form we submit for undergrad loans? Or is it something different/special? I know the form needs to be directed to the school that I applied to but other than that the information I have found has not been very useful
There should be a graduate form that doesn’t require the input from your parents.

There should be a graduate form that doesn’t require the input from your parents.
This is correct, but if you anticipate possibly qualifying for a Health Professionals Student Loan (similar to undergrad Perkins loan), you DO have to submit your parents information. The majority of people won't qualify for this, but some people will.

Question: Would filling out a FAFSA and needing loans impact chances of getting in off the waitlist? Would a school prefer to take students who can pay without any help?

Question: Would filling out a FAFSA and needing loans impact chances of getting in off the waitlist? Would a school prefer to take students who can pay without any help?
No. They don’t care. It is all the same to them.

Reactions: 3 users