Fast-track C/A Psychiatry Program List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocCallaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did several searches but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. Was hoping we could make this a comprehensive list of either 5-year C/A programs or Adult programs that offer a Fast-track option. Hopefully, some people can contribute, whether they heard about it online, at the program interview, or hearsay from other applicants.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably be easier to make a list of places that do not allow fast-tracking, as the vast majority do. There are only a very small number of programs that are 5 year C&A programs tracked from the very beginning. UMass and Pitt have them (i.e., don't have to interview for fellowship come the end of pgy3 year). MGH has an ultra-competitive sub-track for just a few people with lots of peds first year. Yale has a child research track that has the most bizarre curriculum imaginable. Not sure if there are any others.

I think that any program that offers a general psych residency plus a child/adol fellowship will do it, you just apply initially for the residency spot, then when you are a few years in, apply from within for the fellowship. One program I can think of off the top of my head that has this is SUNY at Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would probably be easier to make a list of places that do not allow fast-tracking, as the vast majority do. There are only a very small number of programs that are 5 year C&A programs tracked from the very beginning. UMass and Pitt have them (i.e., don't have to interview for fellowship come the end of pgy3 year). MGH has an ultra-competitive sub-track for just a few people with lots of peds first year. Yale has a child research track that has the most bizarre curriculum imaginable. Not sure if there are any others.

The only program I'm aware of that doesn't let their residents fast track is Hopkins. There may be others; but as above that is the exception rather then the norm. I would just ask the programs you're interested in directly.

In addition to UMass, Pitt, and Yale, the only other places that used to offer a "combined" 5 year program was U of Indiana and Institute of Living. That was a few years ago last time I checked and I'm not sure if they still offer that. There may be others.

UTMB-Galveston offers a 5 year fast-track program you can apply to as a medical student. I know UMass does as well. Yale does not.

I agree that most programs will allow their residents to fast-track within, but if you end up in a PGY-I class with many child hopefuls, you very well may have to apply to many other programs. I applied and was accepted to UTMB's fast-track program. I won't have to apply as a PGY-III, interview places all over again, or risk moving my family. I love many other things about Galveston as well, but those are some perks that other places can't offer.

Yale has a combined program for child, but it doesn't fast-track. You still do 6 years which includes mandatory research time.