Fasting & Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone seem to be having a hard time with studying and Fasting?

Is there any study done on it, like if you should be eating while studying instead of Fasting?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any study done on it, like if you should be eating while studying instead of Fasting?

i was having a hard time fasting and studying. I realized it was all in my head and that I needed to study no matter what and there wasnt an option of not fasting. If you are not working then you can stay up later, study throughout the night and sleep in until 11-12ish and study throughout the day. Its totally doable and fasting shouldnt be an excuse for otherwise (not that im saying your making up an excuse)

I posted a similar thread before ramadan as I was worried how I would approach doing this during Ramadan and someone had mentioned that there are studies that people study better while fasting. sooooo more reason for us to study hardcore!

Try studying after iftaar and after suhoor. It should work really well. Besides by now our bodies have gotten used to when we will get food so it should be much easier by now.

good luck :)

ummm.. Ive been fasting too...

But... I have to absolutely disagree about fasting being better for studying. Thats absolutely wrong. The brain runs on simple sugars which you can only get by eating a constant meal throughout the day.

Living in the West and trying to fast and go to school at the same time is a huge disadvantage. In the East people wake up before Dawn. They eat a huge meal, pray, then go back to sleep until around 1:00pm just in time for the next prayer. Nobody really goes to school or works. People hang out all day at the mosques or at home. Its much easier.

I MAKE-UP my missed fast days during other times of the year, since sometimes I dont fast on heavy test days or study days. I hope its not haram, but I have no ill-intentions.

Guys I took my DAT during Ramadan, and I was completely chilled after the exam. My exam started at 12:30 and ended around 5. I don't know how I did it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i was having a hard time fasting and studying. I realized it was all in my head and that I needed to study no matter what and there wasnt an option of not fasting. If you are not working then you can stay up later, study throughout the night and sleep in until 11-12ish and study throughout the day. Its totally doable and fasting shouldnt be an excuse for otherwise (not that im saying your making up an excuse)

I posted a similar thread before ramadan as I was worried how I would approach doing this during Ramadan and someone had mentioned that there are studies that people study better while fasting. sooooo more reason for us to study hardcore!

Try studying after iftaar and after suhoor. It should work really well. Besides by now our bodies have gotten used to when we will get food so it should be much easier by now.

good luck :)

good luck to all you guys who are fasting and studying. the tips posted here are good idea in my opinion. study after iftari, and through out the night and sleep during the day.

haha man. i took my test on monday while fasting. and usually every morning i wake up around 4 to eat, but the morning of my test i didnt wake up! it started thunderstorming the night of my exam, ended up causing my power to go out.
i took my test on an empty stomach...i was still able to do decent. i decided to keep my fast bc i did practice tests while fasting and it didnt seem to bother me too much.

so if you feel like you can take it w/o missing a fast... then do it.
plus it is Ramadan, theres gotta be some blessin w/ that:rolleyes:

Hey guys, I as well am fasting + studying, and I have mastered ways to make this as easy as possible on myself hahah. What i do is stay up really late, and wake up really late (only works if u don't work, and are a bum like myself) I wake up about 2-3ish and study until i get super hungry+thirsty.. about 6ish, then chill till its time to eat, then relax a bit, and study until fajr ish, then sleep all day, etc. so i basically study from 12am-4am and 2pm-5pm, give or take depending on the day. has been workin pretty well so far, give it a try. Also, gatorade for sahoor is where its at, helps replenish ur electrolytes :)

To all of you who are fasting and studying good job and keep it up. I am a Pre Med student and at the moment studying for my MCATs even though its 5 months away lol.

Yes, fasting and studying is hard but remember the mercy that comes in this month. So worship more and make dua.

Husain Abdullah, who is a safety for the vikings said “I’m putting nothing before God, nothing before my religion. This(football) is something I choose to do, not something I have to do. So I’m always going to fast.”

So keep pulling through it maybe it might put a blessing in your studying...

1 tip i can leave off with it that try to study after fajr prayer. I say this first of all because there is blessing in the time after fajr according to a narration (hadith) second you just ate so can focus.

haha man. i took my test on monday while fasting. and usually every morning i wake up around 4 to eat, but the morning of my test i didnt wake up! it started thunderstorming the night of my exam, ended up causing my power to go out.
i took my test on an empty stomach...i was still able to do decent. i decided to keep my fast bc i did practice tests while fasting and it didnt seem to bother me too much.

so if you feel like you can take it w/o missing a fast... then do it.
plus it is Ramadan, theres gotta be some blessin w/ that:rolleyes:

Totally agree, there are blessings there for all of us. Inshallah, all of us will get accepted. Just keep praying.

I totally agree :thumbup: with all the opinions in this thread. And hearing Husain Abdullah's comments does nothing but inspire me. I have a question to those who have taken the DATs while fasting. Would you advise to take it in the mornings or the afternoons (its probably mornings) and is anyone out there that tried any energy drinks like red bull or 5-hr energy with suhoor and then took the test in the morning? If so, how did it go..did u feel the effects of the drink wearing down in the middle of the test :eek:

For some reason , I think 5hr energy drink will run out in the midst of my test if I take it at 8 and will feel its withdrawal effects..lol

I totally agree :thumbup: with all the opinions in this thread. And hearing Husain Abdullah's comments does nothing but inspire me. I have a question to those who have taken the DATs while fasting. Would you advise to take it in the mornings or the afternoons (its probably mornings) and is anyone out there that tried any energy drinks like red bull or 5-hr energy with suhoor and then took the test in the morning? If so, how did it go..did u feel the effects of the drink wearing down in the middle of the test :eek:

For some reason , I think 5hr energy drink will run out in the midst of my test if I take it at 8 and will feel its withdrawal effects..lol

im taking my exam at 8am and dont plan on takign any energy drinks. i dont think its worth risking. usually when i have a lot of caffeine it wears out and i don twant to risk that, im goign to get up at 8am for the week before my exam and just take topscore exams at the same time so i can figure out what works best for me. but im just goign to have a good suhoor with orange juice and a heavy meal and stay awake until my exam (arrive at teh center early) take the exam asap, and come home and sleeeeeeeeeeeep :) inshallah :)

May Allah swt make it easy on us and accept our fast. ameen :)

Reactions: 1 user

Don't do energy drink at all. I don't drink caffeine at all. I had light early morning meal and popped two herbal pills (1 for stomach and other one for anti-stress). I drank 4 glass of water and a cup of milk. I couldn't sleep much, but I slept around 6 hours. I prefer afternoon exam because you can sleep little better.

I took the DAT while fasting. Make sure you take it early (like 8AM), otherwise your hunger might start affecting your ability to think during the exam.
And if you are studying, do it early in the morning and after iftar because for me, I cannot concentrate with hunger.

Um.. Don't fast.. :laugh:

No food -> low serum glucose level -> starvation mode -> hypothalamus detect low level of glucose in blood + low cortisol -> CRH released -> adenohypophysis release ACTH -> adrenal cortex release cortisol -> one of the detrimental effects of cortisol is memory loss and IL-2 suppression..

Just a quick review for those who may be taking DAT :)

No food -> low serum glucose level -> starvation mode -> hypothalamus detect low level of glucose in blood + low cortisol -> CRH released -> adenohypophysis release ACTH -> adrenal cortex release cortisol -> one of the detrimental effects of cortisol is memory loss and IL-2 suppression..

:laugh: ^^ This. Don't be dumb, and simply don't fast. I'm sure that God will understand.

I genuinely appreciate your concern and hence your suggestion but there is a reason why Husain Abdullah's comments were posted here:

"I'm putting nothing before God, nothing before my religion. This(football...the DAT for me) is something I choose to do, not something I have to do. So I'm always going to fast."

Fasting comes first and then the DAT ;)

Actually fasting has been shown to increase rates of neurogenesis in the brain plus many other benefits. i can't post links yet otherwise i would. Also keeping track of your insulin (carb intake) makes fasting so much easier. I eat one meal a day that has all my macro nutrients i need, and fasting for 20 hours (sometimes 2-3 days) easy. Drinking plenty of water, coffee, and peppermint green tea. It really just comes down to insulin. Im not skinny, im 6'2"and 200 lbs.