Favorite MAC tricks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought we decided that it was due to laryngeal closure
Can be both. I have seen VC closure several times and chest wall rigidity a few times

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve seen some people give as much as 8mcg/kg of remi for an RSI (in the days before sugammadex). Intubating conditions were excellent, approximated sux. Gave 30mg of ephedrine as a chaser, train track vitals. FWIW

Reactions: 1 user
Whether it's "chest wall rigidity" (it isn't) or vocal cord closure (it is) the effect on mask ventilation is the same and the treatment is the same, so there's not much point splitting hairs.
But if the tube is in and you can’t ventilate because the compliance is 0 then its definitely chest wall rigidity. Ive seen it and it was immediately relieved with sux. It wasn’t an obstruction or in the goose

Whether it's "chest wall rigidity" (it isn't) or vocal cord closure (it is) the effect on mask ventilation is the same and the treatment is the same, so there's not much point splitting hairs.
I don't deny that the effect is the same but i wouldn't say that differenciating between 2 totally different concepts is splitting hairs. Invoking "Chest wall rigity" screams "i haven't spent 5min to think about the physiological concept of what i'm saying".

I remember reading that a nasal trumpet will alleviate hiccups from propofol during mac cases.
Because I read it here and then looked up the lit, I've tucked this one under my belt for those situations where it's appropriate. I've done it twice I think.

When the preop nurse puts in the IV and its taped like a pile of @#$% with the catheter halfway out and they go "its positional" and of course the case is TIVA.

Edit: This was supposed to go in the pet peeves thread lol.
I think I've mentioned before that there's an inverse relationship to how elaborate the dressing is, to how well the IV will flow (or is strictly ornamental).

But if the tube is in and you can’t ventilate because the compliance is 0 then its definitely chest wall rigidity. Ive seen it and it was immediately relieved with sux. It wasn’t an obstruction or in the goose
Not convinced.