Favorite piece of trivia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradVantageRx

Your ticket to match day
Sponsor
Reaction score
Mine is definitely that Sinemet is Latin for something like "without throwing up"

The story is something like this:
  • Doses of L-dopa had to be quite high in order to overcome peripheral dopa decarboxylase
  • High doses of L-dopa caused tons of nausea
  • Adding carbidopa reduced required doses of L-dopa thus reducing nausea
  • SIn emet.

Pretty cool. What other pieces of pharmacy/drug/medical trivia do you know of?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rapamycin (aka sirolimus) named after Rapa Nui (Easter Island) where the molecule was discovered.

Kyprolis (carfilzomib) named after Philip Whitcome and wife Carla, who both died of cancer. Philip Whitcome founded the company that originated the molecule.

asunaprevir named after Li-Qiang Sun, the originating chemist

dasatinib (Sprycel) named after Jagabandhu Das, a research fellow.

darunavir named after Dr. Arun Ghosh at Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Am bien = Morning good (because you slept)

Reactions: 1 users
-La-six: Last 6 hours
-Premarin : Developed from the urine of a pregnant horse, which is rich in estrogen(female horse: Mare)

Reactions: 2 users
Not drug related, but a lot of the Latin etymologies are interesting. Reproductive system, exempla gratia:
‘vagina’ (pronounced wah-gee-nah, but spelled the same) would literally be ‘scabbard’ to an ancient Roman. That would be what you sheath your sword in, for those who never played D&D.
‘testicle’ essentially means ‘little witness’. Ha, how great is that? Sees everything!

• Haha
As an organic chemist, I would hope all pharmacists would have heard about eutectic mixtures during ochem lab. From my teaching days, however, I don’t kid myself about how much the material actually “sticks” long term.
it is one of my "go to" random trivia questions- nearly everybody gets it wrong - now if I was back near St Louis - everybody should get it! (bonus points if you know why someone from st louis would know this)

Last edited:
Are eutectic mixtures not commonly taught in pharmacy school? They were definitely part of one of my P1 classes and we went over them in compounding a few times with menthol and camphor

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

EMLA = eutectic mixture of local anesthetics

now how many people know what eutectic is?
I last brought up the topic with a fellow pharmacy student (@ the time) right before the state compounding exam...I take it he did not pass as I had to explain what it entailed, LMAO

Interesting trivia; was not aware of that abbreviation/clever BRAND name beforehand

Bentyl - short for bend over and die (dicyclomine)

I just like saying the word “eutetic” plus our pt’s use it all the time for port access so that’s

Sent from my iPhone using SDN