FDA Approves Flublok Quadrivalent Flu Vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hah! Beat you to the punch, Unchained.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...012_MSCPEDIT&uac=213699DN&impID=1214163&faf=1

Okay, petty reason for starting this thread aside, this is interesting because it is the first flu vaccine made from recombinant DNA technology. No eggs here, folks. The manufacturer is claiming that people inoculated with Flublok were 40% less likely to get the flu than those given Fluarix. Of course, one can't help but wonder how they arrived at these numbers given the 0% efficacy of all flu vaccines. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there even a reason for this product? It seems like the data is pretty clear, egg allergies is not a contraindication for flu vaccine anyway. Has anyone ever seen an allergic reaction to a flu vaccine in an egg allergic patient?

Is there even a reason for this product? It seems like the data is pretty clear, egg allergies is not a contraindication for flu vaccine anyway. Has anyone ever seen an allergic reaction to a flu vaccine in an egg allergic patient?

If there's a thing that can hypothetically go wrong with someone, there will be people somewhere lining up to get a special product for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I can't say that I ever had, but my experience is limited.

I'd say almost nobody who has an anaphylactic reaction to eggs gets a flu shot, so the population in question is basically zero.

I'd say almost nobody who has an anaphylactic reaction to eggs gets a flu shot, so the population in question is basically zero.

Not true at all. Anecdotally I know several and this issue has been studied multiple times. Look it up in pubmed if you don't believe me.

Not true at all. Anecdotally I know several and this issue has been studied multiple times. Look it up in pubmed if you don't believe me.

They pretty much dropped the whole "they have to be monitored for 30 minutes" thing from CDC guidelines, too.

Reactions: 1 user

I think the real question is if someone tells you they are allergic has anyone still given the shot? I've never wanted to take the risk.

The egg allergy issue is just the tip of the iceberg. I suggest reading the following PDF. It explains the advantages of using recombinant DNA technology. We're going to look back years from now and slap ourselves for not realizing just how dirty most vaccines are. The autoimmune reactions were screaming at us. Do we see such reactions with other DNA recombinant biologics?

http://www.flublok.com/media/1054/flublok-clinical-study-review.pdf