Fearing the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from my discussions on the interview trail, reading the different specialty forums, etc. it seems that medicine is in bad shape. We probably work harder than most fields and require more training than most, yet the government kind of screws us left and right. It seems that no specialty in medicine is safe-the FP/IM routes may be taken by mid levels, peds has always been low paying, pathologists apparently can't find decent paying jobs, psych is not doing so hot given the closure of psych centers across the country, anesthesia is being taken over by mid levels and anesthesia salaries are about to plummet per what people say, rads and rad onc may be seriously going down income wise, as well as GI and other procedures heavy specialties.

Why is it that as doctors our services are not valued and that the gov can determine what we make, which tests we run, how we treat our patients,etc? Are we all going to be working for pennies in the future, and still be sued right and left?

Sorry for the rant, but just venting and frustrated here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To keep that 150-200k job, you also have to achieve board certification within a few years.
I know plenty of docs who are licensed but not boarded who make this kind of money. some didn't even finish residency. several only did an internship. yes, they are older docs. no, I wouldn't recommend this path to anyone.