Fears...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wyntrmood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for each person how long it took them to get over their queasiness of blood, needles, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies. I think everyone has something that makes them a little uneasy. I have been an EMT for years and have seen some really awful stuff, but I had to step out of the room during an I&D of a huge, nasty sebaceous cyst. The room was very warm, the smell over-powering and I was just observing the procedure. If felt myself getting a little flushed and dizzy so I excused myself. Its no big deal - just try to step out and not hit the floor.

Constant exposure in small doses will take care of it. Remember to eat small amounts throughout the day, don't lock you knees if standing for a long time, don't wear anything that will make you too warm, and try to keep busy - just standing there watching gives you too much time to think about how you are feeling.

ditto. oddly enough, i've found that it's worse to watch the procedure than to actually perform it. i used to get queasy watching people draw blood, but do fine drawing it myself.