Feasible to live in one city but work in another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenolphthalein

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a cursory examination of the online listings for EM jobs, it appears that the bulk of them are in smaller cities/rural America, and they also pay more than the positions in the major coastal cities. So, how feasible would it be to live in SF, NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. but fly in for ten days/month to work the ED in Greenville, TN, Montgomery, AL, etc. Do EM physician groups generally insist on their people living in the area? Do you know of anyone arranging something like this outside of locum work?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A fascinating work arrangement I had not considered. Hmmm.

+pad+

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at York, there was a resident who lived in Baltimore, and an attending who lived in Reading. Both have quite hefty commutes if you ask me.

Some people even live in different STATES than they work. It's possible in EM. I don't know why, but some folks actually fly in, do a bunch of shifts in a row for 2-3 weeks, then fly back home.

I've entertained the thought of one day working in Florida or the Islands for 6 months, and then maybe California or Colorado for 4-6. If you choose to do Locum Tenens work, the sky is the limit - as long as you cover your own malpractice. EM is known for its flexibility. Like they've said before - there's a job anywhere for you, if you're good.

Originally posted by beyond all hope
Some people even live in different STATES than they work. It's possible in EM. I don't know why, but some folks actually fly in, do a bunch of shifts in a row for 2-3 weeks, then fly back home.

I believe that living in different COUNTRIES (e.g. Baltimore) than they work (e.g. York/Toronto, Ontario, Canada) trumps living in different STATES. Unless you consider Canada the 51st state. That is, assuming GCS (hailing from the GWN) meant York CA as opposed to York PA. If not,.... nevermind.

Originally posted by jalabert
I believe that living in different COUNTRIES (e.g. Baltimore) than they work (e.g. York/Toronto, Ontario, Canada) trumps living in different STATES. Unless you consider Canada the 51st state. That is, assuming GCS (hailing from the GWN) meant York CA as opposed to York PA. If not,.... nevermind.

I'm an American at a Canadian med school. Coming back for residency, though, so that would be York, Pa... ;)

Baltimore to York, CA would be some commute, though! :laugh:

Wouldn't you know it. A location of GWN, actually going back to York in PA. What are the chances? I take it back, your examples are not impressive in the slightest.

My example is still different states, but an impressive commute just the same. Had an acquaintance that decided, in the third year of ortho residency, that he wanted to be a lawyer. Attended school in DC, and paid for it by locum in Cleveland every weekend or so.

I have known and worked with one EM physician who lived in Pebble Beach during the week and then worked 2-24 hr shifts in St. Louis on the weekend.

I rotated at a small hospital in South Texas during third year where several of the ED staff flew in for 4-5 days, 2-3 times each month. The higher salary, and the fact that Southwest flew into this town, made it worthwhile for them. If this kind of thing is still available when I get out of residency, I will seriously consider it.